Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

High level thinking proverb - awesome!

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 4:08 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Actually I don't think it's true that 'victims of prolonged abused typically become abusers themselves'. My understanding is that, where this has been properly studied, the majority of people who are abused don't go on to become abusers themselves, especially in females.

Victims of prolonged abuse / neglect typically develop Borderline Personality Disorder :

People with Borderline Personality Disorder are more likely to use violence, to manipulate or to otherwise abuse others.

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Of a sample of men in a climical study 30% (225 of the 747) of males in the study were victims of abuse and 11% (79 men) of them were perpertrators. So the larger portion of males who were abused (146) never went on to become abusers. Males who are abused have a bit of a higher chance of becoming perpertrators than males who are not abused, but still most don't.

Note that the prolonged nature of abuse (= typically years of abuse) is rather essential for developing Borderline Personality Disorder.

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Females, in fact, show a very different pattern. 43% (41 of the 96) of females in the study were victims of abuse but only 2% (1 woman) was also a perpertrator. So 40 out of 41 abuse victims didn't go on to become abusers.

Also, note that abuse doesn't imply violence per se.

Men are more inclined to violence whereas women are more inclined to use psychological forms of abuse.

League_Girl wrote:
I heard the same thing in a documentary about serial killers. They said that many abused children don't grow up to be killers or abusers or predators. There are tons of people out there who were abused and they turned out fine. What I mean by fine is they didn't turn into an abuser or a psychopath or a narcissist or a killer. I am also sure many bullied don't turn into school shooters or else that will be a hell a lot of school shootings every year and it would happen more on a daily basis everywhere.

It requires a very specific pattern for someone to become a high school shooter :
* years of abuse by peers
* little to no positive interactions with people

Even then, it can be enough to develop just a single valuable friendship to stop the spiral downward.

League_Girl wrote:
But I agree that if you feel like killing anyone and find yourself plotting to kill, get help.

You don't enter a state where you're capable of machine gunning half your school unless you feel completely isolated, completely alone in this world. That implies there is no one around where you can go for help...

League_Girl wrote:
As a parent if your kid is talking about killing people or themselves or even fantasizing about it, do not have any guns around.

I doubt any parent is capable of distinguishing between normal teenage angst and homocidal rage. You don't believe these kids actually tell their parents they want to gun down their class mates, right?!

League_Girl wrote:
Also get your kid help. That is where Adam's parents failed, they allowed him around fire arm, ignored the red flags and they should have gotten him help and not allow him around any fire arm as a child. Now he was a f****d up 20 year old.

I'm pretty sure there was no way his parents could have done ANYTHING AT ALL about it... except getting rid of their guns.

I know from experience. I've been there. If my parents had owned any guns, I might have become just another Adam Lanza.

There was a time when I imagined myself gunning down half the school before jumping off the school's roof towards a certain death on a daily basis. The only thing that stopped me from actually following up on that was (1) my own fear of pain and (2) my parents' not owning any guns.

Jono wrote:
What frustrates me is thet I started this thread to argue against the perception that autistic people are prone to acts of violence but all this talk about Adam Lanza and planned acts of violence re-inforces it. Can we get back on topic please.

What frustrates me, is that you guys deny the relationship between being abused and becoming an abuser, which doesn't really help.

I've been there. I know from experience what it feels like to want to gun down your entire school... and I got out of that mindset without any help from others...

No, there is no direct relationship between having Autism and becoming a high school shooter, but there is an indirect relationship... in Autistic kids being more commonly the victims of years of non-stop abuse...

And again, I'm not blaming Autistic people for becoming high school shooters. I blame the bullies for creating high school shooters with their bullying of other kids for no other reason but them being "different"!

To illustrate my point, below are the words of Kimveer Gill, a Canadian who killed one student and wounded nineteen others before committing suicide on September 13, 2006.

Quote:
People kill each other
Rape women
Molest children
Deceive and betray
Destroy lives
Bullying and torturing each other at school
What kind of world is this?
What the f**k is wrong with people?
This world…. this life, is worst than hell!
You see?
You see what kind of world we live in?
No
No, I don’t think you see
You still don’t!

Quote:
Stop Bullying!
It’s not only the bully’s fault you know!!

It’s the teachers and principals fault for turning a blind eye, just cuz it’s not their job. You f*****s are pathetic.

It’s the police’s fault for not doing anything when people complain (oops, my mistake, the cops are corrupt sons of whores, so it’s not like they can do anything about it).
f**k THE POLICE!

It’s society’s fault for acting like it’s normal for people to be as*holes to each other.
Society disgusts me.
It’s everyone’s fault for being so apathetic towards f*****g everything that doesn’t affect them personally.
f**k YOU SOCIETY!

Quote:
I’m so sick of hearing about jocks and preps making life hard for the goths and others who look different, or are different.

The other day on TV, they were talking about this 15-year-old kid that was killed by the cops, cuz’ he took a fake gun to school.

Then they said he was emotionally disturbed and suicidal. Aaaaa, Duh!! If people were making your life a living hell, wouldn’t you be hurt emotionally?

How come no one ever talkes about those MOTHER f*****g JOCKS AND PREPS who’s fault it is?

Oh no. Heaven forbid.
We couldn’t possibly say that!

Why does society applaude jocks? I don’t understand. They are the worse kind of people on earth.

.And the preps are no better. They think they’re better than others… but they’re not!

And all of society applaudes the jocks and preps,
as if we are all supposed to be like them.

Newsflash, motherf***ers:
We will never be like them. NEVER!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

Quote:
I doubt any parent is capable of distinguishing between normal teenage angst and homocidal rage. You don't believe these kids actually tell their parents they want to gun down their class mates, right?!

I talked about killing people and talked about killing myself, I had anxiety issues, anger, impulse, impulsive behavior, etc. so of course my parents wouldn't allow my brothers to have guns and my dad made sure my grandfather's gun was locked up at his house and he kept his insulin stuff at his parents house and always took it up there because I talked about killing myself with it. So if your kid has mental issues, it's common sense to not have guns around. They didn't want to take chances and have me be the next school shooter and I felt a little offended that my mom would think I would be capable of such a thing but her excuse was I was impulsive and would have done it without thinking and I asked her how would I have brought my grandfather's gun to school (we lived in the country and they live up the road from us and I didn't drive then) so how would I have snuck it to school and she said they didn't want to take chances. Adam had OCD and some history so any parent that can't see this is an idiot if their kid has mental issues and a diagnoses and have been to doctors and therapy which he has. So it was stupid of his father to allow him to handle fire arm. I still don't trust myself around guns so I will never own fire arm. I don't want to be one of those people who snap and kill their whole family if I am going through depression and suicidal thoughts. So I am for gun control.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:14 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I talked about killing people and talked about killing myself, I had anxiety issues, anger, impulse, impulsive behavior, etc.

Well, I didn't... I didn't talk about it, because I didn't want my parents to get involved.

I didn't want my parents to get involved, because I didn't believe they could help me.

I didn't believe my parents could help me, because I considered them well-meaning but incompetent... and totally dissociated from my emotional life. I still do, actually...

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2016, 6:29 am

aspiesavant wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Actually I don't think it's true that 'victims of prolonged abused typically become abusers themselves'. My understanding is that, where this has been properly studied, the majority of people who are abused don't go on to become abusers themselves, especially in females.

Victims of prolonged abuse / neglect typically develop Borderline Personality Disorder :

People with Borderline Personality Disorder are more likely to use violence, to manipulate or to otherwise abuse others.

"Victims of prolonged abuse / neglect typically develop BPD" - This is a generalised statement which goes against the vast majority of research. Some of the people who develop BPD have experiences childhood abuse but not all and not even half. There are 3 other very significant causes for a person developing BPD which are not related to abuse. Usually it a combination of factors which may or may not include abuse. Here is the NHS description of the causes of BPD:

Quote:
"Most experts agree that there is no single cause of borderline personality disorder (BPD). It is likely to be caused by a combination of factors.

These include:

*genetics – genes you inherit from your parents may make you more vulnerable to developing BPD, given certain environmental factors (see below)

*neurotransmitters – these are "messenger chemicals" used by your brain to transmit signals between brain cells; certain neurotransmitters can have a significant effect on mood and behaviour

*neurobiology – this term describes the structure and function of your brain and nervous system; it appears that some people with BPD have a number of regions in the brain with abnormal structure and function

*environmental factors – events that happened in your past, such as your relationship with your family, appear to play an important role in BPD"

aspiesavant wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Of a sample of men in a climical study 30% (225 of the 747) of males in the study were victims of abuse and 11% (79 men) of them were perpertrators. So the larger portion of males who were abused (146) never went on to become abusers. Males who are abused have a bit of a higher chance of becoming perpertrators than males who are not abused, but still most don't.

Note that the prolonged nature of abuse (= typically years of abuse) is rather essential for developing Borderline Personality Disorder.

These people came in for support and were enrolled on the study because they had had years of abuse.

aspiesavant wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Females, in fact, show a very different pattern. 43% (41 of the 96) of females in the study were victims of abuse but only 2% (1 woman) was also a perpertrator. So 40 out of 41 abuse victims didn't go on to become abusers.

Also, note that abuse doesn't imply violence per se.

Men are more inclined to violence whereas women are more inclined to use psychological forms of abuse.

The abuse these victims suffered, male and female wasn't limited to violence at all. The study is a fair one and representative of lots of other research in the area.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 8:36 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
"Victims of prolonged abuse / neglect typically develop BPD" - This is a generalised statement which goes against the vast majority of research. Some of the people who develop BPD have experiences childhood abuse but not all and not even half.

Maybe. I'm not an expect in this matter, but I know quite a few victims of sexual abuse and/or violence during childhood. ALL OF THEM developed mild to extreme symptoms of BPD.

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
*genetics – genes you inherit from your parents may make you more vulnerable to developing BPD, given certain environmental factors (see below)

*neurotransmitters – these are "messenger chemicals" used by your brain to transmit signals between brain cells; certain neurotransmitters can have a significant effect on mood and behaviour

*neurobiology – this term describes the structure and function of your brain and nervous system; it appears that some people with BPD have a number of regions in the brain with abnormal structure and function

*environmental factors – events that happened in your past, such as your relationship with your family, appear to play an important role in BPD"

When I use the label BPD, I'm refering to Borderline Personality Disorder.

You seem to confuse it with Bi-Polar Disorder, which has similar symptoms but which indeed has a biological, genetic cause.

I never heard / read anyone claim that Borderline Personality Disorder has any cause other than abuse or neglect.

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
The abuse these victims suffered, male and female wasn't limited to violence at all. The study is a fair one and representative of lots of other research in the area.

Could you provide a link? I'd like to look at the data myself before I comment any further.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2016, 9:10 am

aspiesavant wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
"Victims of prolonged abuse / neglect typically develop BPD" - This is a generalised statement which goes against the vast majority of research. Some of the people who develop BPD have experiences childhood abuse but not all and not even half.

Maybe. I'm not an expect in this matter, but I know quite a few victims of sexual abuse and/or violence during childhood. ALL OF THEM developed mild to extreme symptoms of BPD.

This is anecdotal evidence and is unreliable compared to peer reviewed scientific studies. Basically anecdotal evidence comes from just a small sample compared to any decent study so you can't draw any reliable conclusions from it.

aspiesavant wrote:
When I use the label BPD, I'm refering to Borderline Personality Disorder.

You seem to confuse it with Bi-Polar Disorder, which has similar symptoms but which indeed has a biological, genetic cause.

I never heard / read anyone claim that Borderline Personality Disorder has any cause other than abuse or neglect.

I am not confusing anything. I am talking about borderline personality disorder not Bi-Polar Disorder.

Here is the link to the NHS causes of borderline personality disorder page which I quoted which you say is about bi-polar disorder. It is not. As you can see it describes in detail the four main causes of BPD, only one of which is environmental factors like abuse and neglect.

NHS Borderline Personality Disorder - Causes

Here is another 'causes page which explains how 60% of the risk factors for BPD are now thought to be genetic rather than environmental. Quoting directly from the page... "Research studies now suggest that 60% of the risk of developing borderline disorder is conveyed by genetic abnormalities."

Here's the link:

Causes of BPD

This data comes from two studies:
Torgersen, S., Myers, J., Reichborn-Kjennerud, T., Roysamb, E., Kubarych, T.S., Kendler, K.S. (2012). The heritability of cluster B personality disorders assessed both by personal interview and questionnaire. which was published in Journal of Personality Disorders, 26(6), 848-866.

Kendler, K.S., Myers, J., Reichborn-Kjennerud, T. (2011). Borderline personality traits and their relationship with dimensions of normative personality: a web-based cohort and twin study. which was published in Acta Psychiatrica Scandanavica, 123, 349-359.

(BTW twin studies give the most reliable data about genetic effects.)

BorderlinePersonalityDisorder.com say the same thing as do MIND the mental health charity.

This is quite well know information.

aspiesavant wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:

Could you provide a link? I'd like to look at the data myself before I comment any further.

I can give you the reference - it may be online. The stud I read was...

'Cycle of child sexual abuse: links between being a victim and becoming a perpetrator' by

M. GLASSER (deceased), I. KOLVIN, D. CAMPBELL, A. GLASSER, I. LEITCH, S. FARRELLY

You can find it in the The British Journal of Psychiatry Dec 2001, 179 (6) 482-494; DOI: 10.1192/bjp.179.6.482

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 11:13 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
As you can see it describes in detail the four main causes of BPD, only one of which is environmental factors like abuse and neglect.

NHS Borderline Personality Disorder - Causes

Here is another 'causes page which explains how 60% of the risk factors for BPD are now thought to be genetic rather than environmental. Quoting directly from the page... "Research studies now suggest that 60% of the risk of developing borderline disorder is conveyed by genetic abnormalities."

Here's the link:

Causes of BPD

I'm gonna take some time to process this information...

BlueLaughter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2016, 8:40 am

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread who read the article and took time to respond. I was forwarded the egregious article, and it just set me off emotionally. Ironically that article mentioned this thread, which was how I found this store of information to combat that slanted piece. It felt frustrating knowing how hard many people with Aspergers work just to understand people.

Overall, I agree with the general sentiments expressed here:
The poster is probably a narcissist expressing their victimhood, striking back at a person who didn't continue to give them the attention 'they deserved'. Trying to explain Asperger's to them is useless, because they don't want to understand; it doesn't fit their narrative of grandeur. I sort of do feel bad for them, because they will continue repeating their relationship mistakes because it's unlikely they understand themselves.

Lack of empathy is frequently confused with lack of understanding. The mindless grouping of all Aspergers people seems galling, and just unintelligent, like a Trumpesque simplification of serious issues. It took me many years to understand some basic things about people. Being called incapable simply because it took me way more effort seems insulting to my efforts. But after reading these responses, it's easier just to let it go, as not everyone chooses to try to understand everyone else. It seems like a small punishment in that the minority are expected to understand the majority view without the majority view even caring about the minority's issues except when it affects them.

It's hard not to be angry at ignorant people, especially those who choose to remain ignorant. Apparently, that's one view I may have in common with the author.

Also I agree that replying with hatemail is counterproductive; the author appears to be feeding off it.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 12:45 pm

Interesting...looks like the original article has been taken down from public viewing.

My guess would be she got tired of the negative attention. Her "heartless aspergers" site is still running though.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 1:37 pm

Wow... I took a look at this woman's "heartless Asperger's" website. It sounds like she has a major chip on her shoulder and is looking to blame everyone with Asperger's Syndrome for "lack of empathy."

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 3:16 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
Interesting...looks like the original article has been taken down from public viewing.

My guess would be she got tired of the negative attention. Her "heartless aspergers" site is still running though.

Nope, it's still there. I can still see it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 3:32 pm

Quote:
403 - Forbidden Error
You are not allowed to access this address.
If the error persists, please contact the website webmaster.
If you are the webmaster of this site please log in to Cpanel and check the Error Logs. You will find the exact reason for this error there.

Common reasons for this error are:

Incorrect file/directory permissions: Below 644.
In order files to be read by the webserver, their permissions have to be equal or above 644. You can update file permissions with a FTP client or through cPanel's File Manager.

Restrictive Apache directives inside .htaccess file.
There are two Apache directives which can cause this error - 'Deny from' and 'Options -Indexes'.

What's going on? Why are some people still able to see it but not the rest of us?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 3:42 pm

I got an error message saying you are forbidden from seeing it. Based on the error message I immediatly suspected she is blocking the article from bieng hyperlinked from Wrong Planet. I went on to the main page of her site used thier search engine typed in "Aspergers" the article was the second one listed, clicked on it and the article popped right up.

It is also possible she is blocking all hyperlinks. The hyperlink given here is not the full length one but a shortened version. It is possible the short link became inoperable. Links becoming inoperable after a period of time is not uncommon.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2016, 1:37 pm

d057 wrote:
Wow... I took a look at this woman's "heartless Asperger's" website. It sounds like she has a major chip on her shoulder and is looking to blame everyone with Asperger's Syndrome for "lack of empathy."

That's called "one butthurt b***h". Generally, when a person goes to that extreme against an entire group of people, it's indicative that she (in this case) is the one with the deep-seated psychiatric issues that are destroying her (in this case) life and the lives of others. However, when such vile serpents decide to pick on a minority group, they can always count on support from the Great Ignorant Mass.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 5:31 am

i was told i was forbiden from seeing this forum from my email.but i found it in the forum,weird