Page 9 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:54 pm

I say "Christ!" and "God damn!" a lot. Does that count?

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

14 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm

nutbag wrote:
I say "Christ!" and "God damn!" a lot. Does that count?

It might depend on the context. :)

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 1:25 am

slowmutant wrote:
can_o_worms wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Jellybean wrote:
I used to be a Roman Catholic but I didn't like some of the bizarre 'rules'. Also stopped beliving in God after going through my Granny's death, 4 years of non-stop bullying and 8 years of abuse from my father.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, friend. For what it's worth, God never promised us a perfect life or a perfect world. A lot of folks who go through tragedy and loss end up with a stronger faith in God.

that is the best scam of all "god never promised us a rose garden, but if he wanted to, he could stop all the suffering, but he doesn't want to and we are warned it could get worse if we don't shape up."

would you buy a car under those conditions?

No, but I might re-evaluate my life. I might shape up and try looking on the positive side of things, and everyone can do that if they choose to. This world seems like a scam only if you believe it should've been perfect all along. Maybe "stopping all suffering" is up to us and not entirely up to God. The way I see it, a suffering world is God's way of calling us into action.

and sometimes it's his way of refining us, trying to get rid of the impurities in our attitudes towards each other, other things, etc.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2008, 2:58 am

Bekkles wrote:
Quote:
To me, that comes
too close to mind-control and takes away the effort that persons with
autism make in pursuing their recovery.

I don't think so. The brain is an interesting thing. You can consciously make the effort to improve it, but I personally would rather take certain steps just to help that recovery by providing my brain with the things it needs to rebuild itself. I don't want to still be socially awkward when I'm 40 - I find it stressful, and it makes me feel like I don't want to live. It makes it hard for me - it is tiring. I just want to live my life being free to do what I WANT TO DO, not being handicapped as it were by AS, which prevents me from doing things. I want to go and talk to that person, he/she looks nice - but no, I can't because I don't know what to say - I have AS, which = few social skills.

I want to connect with another person. but I can't, because there's a pillar in my way. It's called AS.

Would you believe me if I told you, I've asked some "NT"'s similar questions, and even they may find it hard to know what to say at the right time? And to be honest, even if you have aspergers that doesn't mean you can't go up to that person and try. I believe in "Know thyself" and learning about myself to see what things I can do better.

You can do the same with yourself. Go on, take that chance. Nothing's holding you back. Not even your aspergers. It may make things slightly more challenging at times, but that doesn't mean you have to be shy.

I believe in God. Maybe I'm a Christian...
Monday Morning I was taken to two wrong buildings before I got to the right place. Normally I'd freak out and panic. I did not let it make me meltdown. Instead I asked around for some kind people to help me get to where I needed to be.

I proved to myself that day, I can overcome some of my obsticles. If it will always go so smoothly, I don't know. I just take each day at a time and try the best I can.
I hope you can find this encouraging in some way.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

16 Apr 2008, 4:48 am

MJIthewriter wrote:
Would you believe me if I told you, I've asked some "NT"'s similar questions, and even they may find it hard to know what to say at the right time? And to be honest, even if you have aspergers that doesn't mean you can't go up to that person and try. I believe in "Know thyself" and learning about myself to see what things I can do better.

You can do the same with yourself. Go on, take that chance. Nothing's holding you back. Not even your aspergers. It may make things slightly more challenging at times, but that doesn't mean you have to be shy.

I believe in God. Maybe I'm a Christian...
Monday Morning I was taken to two wrong buildings before I got to the right place. Normally I'd freak out and panic. I did not let it make me meltdown. Instead I asked around for some kind people to help me get to where I needed to be.

I proved to myself that day, I can overcome some of my obsticles. If it will always go so smoothly, I don't know. I just take each day at a time and try the best I can.
I hope you can find this encouraging in some way.

That's a good post. Practicing social skills can pay off! :D

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2008, 1:37 pm

*shrugs with his hand on the back of his head* hmmm...tough question...
I've been Baptist, then Seventh Day Adventist, then Aethiest, now Seventh Day Adventist again....though, I have the indifference toward the whole idea of an Aethiest....soo..yeah.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm

Bekkles wrote:
"AS doesn't have a physical grounding - God made me this way!"

Why do so many AS revolt against the idea that their condition is based in the brain, and is caused by brain dysfunction? Why do they think that it could not possibly be caused by chemical imabalances? That it can't be corrected?

The research is fairly new I suppose, so maybe people just haven't caught on. But I wonder how any AS could say that they just are that way, without any real, science-based reason.

(ps, I am religious, but I believe that God is a God of science.)

you'll find a great many AS'ers are athiests
if there is a god I hate him or her for what he (or she) did to me :roll:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Bekkles wrote:
"AS doesn't have a physical grounding - God made me this way!"

Why do so many AS revolt against the idea that their condition is based in the brain, and is caused by brain dysfunction? Why do they think that it could not possibly be caused by chemical imabalances? That it can't be corrected?

The research is fairly new I suppose, so maybe people just haven't caught on. But I wonder how any AS could say that they just are that way, without any real, science-based reason.

(ps, I am religious, but I believe that God is a God of science.)

you'll find a great many AS'ers are athiests
if there is a god I hate him or her for what he (or she) did to me :roll:

I'm confused Kilroy. If you're an atheist, why have hatred for God? Why would an atheist bother himself by hating something he doesn't believe in? And a God of Science wouldn't be personal or sentient or even an entity. Science is not an "entity" the same way as the Judeo-Christian God. The Christian God is naturally a God of science because He is the God of absolutely everything, even science.

For lack of evidence to the contrary, I will accept the idea that God created me as a Bipolar Aspie. But I'll never know if this was deliberate on God's part, or just as a casual outgrowth of other pre-existing phenonmena & processes. Oh, well. I'll ask Him about it when I meet Him. There'll be plenty of time for Q & A in the Kingdom.

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2008, 10:57 am

^ Kilroy's just saying that if there was a god, he'll hate him. In the same way that you don't have to actualy belive in Santa Claus to agree that Santa's a good person.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 2:21 pm

If a creator being did exist I'd hate him/it because the fact that there is evil in the world would mean that such an entity is sadistic.

The problem of evil is one of the big things that caused me to reject religion. IMO the fact that there is suffering in the world maokes existance of an infinitely loving deity impossible.

NArt
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2008, 5:48 pm

I don't have a formal belief in god. I just don't see the benefits anymore.

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

Ancient chinese philosophers saw dualities such as good and evil as inseperable parts of a whole
Life and death
good and evil
long and short
high and low
before and after etc etc...

When making an omlette you have to break an egg
good for the cook but bad for the unborn chick
Good and evil are relative terms depending on whether your the cook or the chicken
maybe if the cook didn't want the omlette the chicken wouldn't die
but maybe without the omlette the cook will die
the chicken and the cook are both part of the same planet
Beyond duality lies harmony and unity

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:28 pm

Right on Pixie!

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:51 pm

I am agnostic, but I do have my principles.

One of the key ones is:

If good and evil exist, good is defined as anything beneficial to the human body while evil is anything detrimental to the body. Benefit is determined by the sum of the reactions, not the direct reaction.

dkmnow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2008, 12:09 am

"Are all AS religious?"

NO.

I'm gonna just copy this one right on over from that silly "indigo kids" discussion:

My only interest in any form of mysticism (other than warning of the myriad horrors they routinely unleash upon humanity) is in cataloging the various classic cognitive errors and biases employed by their adherents.

The history of mysticism is a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Apr 2008, 12:26 am

dkmnow wrote:
The history of mysticism is a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology.

Nicely written! :thumleft: