Page 10 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2008, 3:27 pm

I'm not religious, but I am very spiritual. I believe that autism is simply a way of being, it has benefits and drawbacks. I also believe that metaphysical reality and scientific reality can coexist perfectly comfortably. Just because we don't understand how something can be a certain way doesn't mean it can't be that way. We are imperfect beings with imperfect knowledge.

The key to responsible religion, regardless of what beliefs you hold and how much faith you have in them, is to accept that there's a possibility that you are wrong.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:15 pm

Quote:
The history of mysticism is a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology.

Who here is qualified to comment on the history of mysticism? If you were born in the closing decades of the 20th century, your experience of mysticism is hardly comprehensive. This is a tradition spanning thousands of years and all areas of the globe.

If you are some kind of immortal, as old as time itself, Great Old One please go ahead and tell me why mysticism (very broad subject) is indeed a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology. Puny humans, yoiu need to stop making such foolish grandiose claims.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:23 pm

Odin wrote:
If a creator being did exist I'd hate him/it because the fact that there is evil in the world would mean that such an entity is sadistic.

The problem of evil is one of the big things that caused me to reject religion. IMO the fact that there is suffering in the world maokes existance of an infinitely loving deity impossible.

Many people would disagree. God is perfect, but Earth is and always was a fallen place. Earth is imperfect. The race of Man fell to sin long ago. If everything had always been Edenic, there would have been no need for a Reedemer. And clearly we need a Redeemer now more than ever.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Apr 2008, 8:05 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Who here is qualified to comment on the history of mysticism?

If you are some kind of immortal, as old as time itself, Great Old One please go ahead and tell me why mysticism (very broad subject) is indeed a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology. Puny humans, yoiu need to stop making such foolish grandiose claims.

Various strains of Mysticism have been around to be practiced, written about, and commented on prior to your birth slowmutant. These practices, writings and commentary will continue during our lifetimes and after we are dead. Since I don't know any Vampires, Angels, Djinn or other alleged immortals to discuss this with then I personally don't mind at all if dkmnow chooses to share his knowledge or speculation on the subject. Henceforth your referee status in this thread is revoked until you provide an actual immortal to refute dkmnow's well stated position.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:52 pm

velodog wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Who here is qualified to comment on the history of mysticism?

Various strains of Mysticism have been around to be practiced, written about, and commented on prior to your birth slowmutant. These practices, writings and commentary will continue during our lifetimes and after we are dead. Since I don't know any Vampires, Angels, Djinn or other alleged immortals to discuss this with then I personally don't mind at all if dkmnow chooses to share his knowledge or speculation on the subject. Henceforth your referee status in this thread is revoked until you provide an actual immortal to refute dkmnow's well stated position.

Umm... I kind of question how dkmnow knows what he says, or in other words if he can back it up, myself.

No offense, but anyone can post anything they want to, even if they don't know if what they are saying is true.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

20 Apr 2008, 2:08 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
The history of mysticism is a virtual taxonomy of cognitive pathology.

Who here is qualified to comment on the history of mysticism? If you were born in the closing decades of the 20th century, your experience of mysticism is hardly comprehensive. This is a tradition spanning thousands of years and all areas of the globe.

morning_after, no offense is taken at your reasoned observation. :)

What I do take issue with is the above post by slowmutant which seems to be stating that only immortals can have an opinion on the subject of Mysticism. I do not accept this position as valid, but I do believe that since slowmutant is promulgating this position then he should have the authority of a verified immortal to back up his position.

Furthermore Isaiah 45:7 I make peace, and create Evil. I the Lord do all these things, was referenced on page 7 of this thread by me. slowmutant chose not to address that reference earlier in this thread, and is being disingenuous in his above response to Odin by not addressing that Yahweh himself made the earth and humans (according to the Bible, not my belief), and therefore all associated imperfections of each should be addressed as manufacturers defects. Why did He create us so flawed? So he can kick us in the ass forever and threaten us with hell? :D

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:46 am

While I can hardly be dismissive of the above poster's views, I just don't share them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:52 am

886 wrote:
I'm highly atheist.

I wish there was a religion where you don't know, and don't care, and don't want to know, or care.

There is such a religion! It's called Apathy ... and Laziness. If weren't for these two, you might not be an atheist.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

20 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

slowmutant wrote:
886 wrote:
I'm highly atheist.

I wish there was a religion where you don't know, and don't care, and don't want to know, or care.

There is such a religion! It's called Apathy ... and Laziness. If weren't for these two, you might not be an atheist.

Disagree but that is funny! :lol:

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

I have my own religion that I made by taking the best rules/ideas/qualities from existing religions. I call it "Everythingism". It's obviously not completely "true", but at least it keeps me from being depressed.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:31 pm

What are the core tenets of Everythingism? Why have you included "everything" in its philosophy?

REM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

Atheist and proud.

I like the fact that i don't have santa oh i mean "god" telling me how to live my life.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Odin wrote:
If a creator being did exist I'd hate him/it because the fact that there is evil in the world would mean that such an entity is sadistic.

The problem of evil is one of the big things that caused me to reject religion. IMO the fact that there is suffering in the world maokes existance of an infinitely loving deity impossible.

Many people would disagree. God is perfect, but Earth is and always was a fallen place. Earth is imperfect. The race of Man fell to sin long ago. If everything had always been Edenic, there would have been no need for a Reedemer. And clearly we need a Redeemer now more than ever.

BS Rationalizations. *yawn*

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:05 pm

BS Nihilism. *bigger yawn*

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:30 am

slowmutant wrote:
BS Nihilism. *bigger yawn*

I'm not a nihilist. Religious morons who think that Atheism is Nihilism need a swift kick it the nuts.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:34 am

Atheism is to nihilism what exotic dancer is to crack-whore. It's not a big reach.

Last edited by slowmutant on 22 Apr 2008, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.