Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:52 pm

Deleted

Last edited by JerryHatake on 29 Oct 2009, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:53 pm

I am going to ignore this protest while I am there because I have the right to not to listen to it at all.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 11:43 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
I am going to ignore this protest while I am there because I have the right to not to listen to it at all.

You have the right to ignore. You do NOT have the right to interfere, nor do your compatriots at Autism Speaks. Remember that.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:57 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

You have the right to ignore. You do NOT have the right to interfere, nor do your compatriots at Autism Speaks. Remember that.

And the same goes to the protester since if they start throw insults and punches at people, disturbing the peace and other charges. I am doing what I feel is right because I am more open-minded to hear different views unlike some here on this site because one view is not the truth ever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxo1SKB0z8[/youtube]

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 2:55 pm

I highly doubt that the protesters are planning on yelling insults or throwing punches, especially since they've protested other walks without doing such.

Seriously, you've been asked this multiple times now but have yet to answer. How do you rationalize the decision to support an orginzation that has - multiple times - expressed desire to have their children die (and I'm not talking about abortion or "kill" by cure; I mean the people who have said that they wished to drive themselves and their autistic child off the bridge, or who have said they wished the child would get out of the house and drown in the pond)? How exactly is that promoting awareness, other than that it's such a horrible disorder that it drives people to murder/suicide?

You'll not find me to be one who opposes a cure (not prenatal testing for abortion, there's a difference). But even I cannot find a way to justify support of Autism Speaks, knowing both their messages and how they're shifting to appease the daughter instead of science (by including more vaccine theory possibilities).

Three years!

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:03 pm

I'm waiting for JerryHatake's so-called "whole story" that we don't seem to know. If you say that someone else doesn't know the whole story, and is therefore wrong in their opinion, you have to know the whole story yourself. The evidence against Autism Speaks has been laid out pretty clearly, in black and white, and frequently coming right down to the obscene numbers representing how they are out for themselves only, and almost nothing on helping anyone with autism, because all their income lines their own pockets.
So what's this "whole story" that you're hiding?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:29 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I'm waiting for JerryHatake's so-called "whole story" that we don't seem to know. If you say that someone else doesn't know the whole story, and is therefore wrong in their opinion, you have to know the whole story yourself. The evidence against Autism Speaks has been laid out pretty clearly, in black and white, and frequently coming right down to the obscene numbers representing how they are out for themselves only, and almost nothing on helping anyone with autism, because all their income lines their own pockets.
So what's this "whole story" that you're hiding?

My story is basically that everyone is throwing a fuss over the term "cure". Cure has multiple meanings so bad assumptions by everyone there. Second, do you realize that families with children on the Autism Spectrum are more likely to end in a divorce because one parent can not deal with it. I constantly learned about more facts from my friend, Michelle which her family is on the Spectrum. Now you think that a cure is killing everyone with Autism, WRONG! A cure or should I say treatment is helping those in need. I am not pro-cure but I believe in that everyone has a choice. I am autistic here but I have a better understanding of things when I see different views of one item. One story is not the whole story at all so ASAN is jumping up and down when they can be lying about its financial activities. The world is not in black and white instead it is in mufti-color. People who do not see from several view points are people who can not see multiple lenses.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm

A few Autism Speaks facts, taken from their very own materials:

65% of non-overhead expenditures go to research. Not all of this is objectionable; some of it may even be positive. But a large proportion of this is just causation research and genetics. It doesn't do a thing to help actual autistic people, and may in fact be harmful.

28% goes to "awareness campaigns," which often coincide with their own fund-raising expenses, conveniently enough. This money is going towards producing videos such as "Autism Every Day" and "I Am Autism," which obviously demonize autistic people and actively hurt our quest to be treated as equals. Even if it is objectively true that parents of autistic kids divorce most often--which is in fact, not proven; there is some statistical evidence to the contrary--it is still completely inappropriate and inexcusable for Autism Speaks to present these issues in such a manner. Here's an established fact: all kids are prone to blaming themselves when their parents divorce. "I Am Autism" does a terrible disservice to autistic kids of divorced parents by making them feel like it's their fault. I have an autistic friend whose parents are recently divorced. Naturally, this is quite upsetting to him. Autism Speaks would give off the impression that the divorce is his fault. (Which is completely untrue in addition to being hurtful.)

3% goes to "governmental relations."

4% goes to "family services." What this entails of, I don't know. I do know that very little of this is for adults, and obviously this is a minuscule proportion of Autism Speaks' budget.

If you support Autism Speaks' allocation of funds, that's your prerogative. But many people don't know these facts--which Autism Speaks itself promotes. When I protest Autism Speaks next year, a big part of my goal will simply be to make people aware of what Autism Speaks does and what they're supporting. Because the organization bills itself as "helping autistic people," a claim which I find highly dubious. People certainly have the right to protest. And I respect fully informed protesters more than I respect uninformed people who walk for Autism Speaks without even being aware of these basic facts. So, if you're going to walk for Autism Speaks, please make it an informed decision, at the very least.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:02 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
My story is basically that everyone is throwing a fuss over the term "cure". Cure has multiple meanings so bad assumptions by everyone there. Second, do you realize that families with children on the Autism Spectrum are more likely to end in a divorce because one parent can not deal with it. I constantly learned about more facts from my friend, Michelle which her family is on the Spectrum. Now you think that a cure is killing everyone with Autism, WRONG! A cure or should I say treatment is helping those in need. I am not pro-cure but I believe in that everyone has a choice. I am autistic here but I have a better understanding of things when I see different views of one item. One story is not the whole story at all so ASAN is jumping up and down when they can be lying about its financial activities. The world is not in black and white instead it is in mufti-color. People who do not see from several view points are people who can not see multiple lenses.

I actually have no issue with a cure. Bring it on; I probably wouldn't take it, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who did. I also don't give a hoot about their money and what they do with it; I don't agree, but if they were a decent organization, I'd overlook it.

Divorce rates are actually the same for parents with spectrum children as they are for everyone else. There is no higher rate of divorce for parents of children. And even if there was, that is absolutely no excuse for wanting your child to die.

And that is the problem. They are not promoting any actual awareness. They are fear mongering. They are so unchecked that they can - on multiple occasions, with multiple people - say that they want their child to die, and they still get support, yet no one who supports them will answer that. How do you justify supporting that kind of thing? I see posts here so often about a parent or caretaker who snapped and killed their autistic charge (and sometimes themselves), and people sit here and say what a tragedy it is, and it is. But you get this huge, huge organization that's supposed to represent that, and they not only express desire to have their charges die, but they defend it as understandable when called on. How do you support that?

Three years!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 12:44 pm

The protest had no effect on the D.C. walk at all. It was simply ignored by everyone who participated in the walk.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 7:05 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
The protest had no effect on the D.C. walk at all. It was simply ignored by everyone who participated in the walk.

Yeah, I'm sure the walkers would have ignored the protesters. Personally, I would have found it funny if they didn't and got themselves arrested, as the Autism Speaks people in Boston should have been for verbally assaulting the ASAN protesters there. (For the record, cussing someone out in public IS considered a form of assault, you CAN get arrested for it.) But I digress. The point of the protest wasn't to change the view of the walkers, they've got their heads shoved up their butts already and won't hear a word against Autism Speaks because they support it like the sheeple they are. The POINT of the protest was to change the view of everyone else - in other words, the bystanders that don't support either organization, or that send money to Autism Speaks without really actively particpating with them. It's recruitment, really. The more people on our side, the less on theirs... or perhaps yours, JerryHatake, since you too seem to support Autism speaks just as blindly.

I see no problem with a cure. I for one would not accept it, but if someone else wanted to, that's their deal. What I do have a problem with is 1) Autism Speaks board members lining their own pockets with the funds they recieve, 2) Research into genetic tests for autism with an intent to promote aborting autistic embryos, 3) The general portayal of autism by the organization, 4) the fact that they claim to speak for autism when no one diagnosed with it participates at any level of their bureaucracy, and 5) the fact that in their eyes, the world would be a better place if we all dropped dead. I just can't see how you could deny something like that. You obviously have much bigger problems to deal with than autism, perhaps you should deal with those first.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 7:09 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

And the same goes to the protester since if they start throw insults and punches at people, disturbing the peace and other charges. I am doing what I feel is right because I am more open-minded to hear different views unlike some here on this site because one view is not the truth ever.

Well, look at the pot calling the kettle black. Haha, that's almost funny, you of all people calling us close-minded?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 6:43 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Well, look at the pot calling the kettle black. Haha, that's almost funny, you of all people calling us close-minded?

On this subject I would say just consider other views because the world is not straight-forward. Instead, the world is in multiple dimensions and in color (referring to the concept of black and white is not correct).

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:34 am

Autism Speaks has done some great work. If you want to look at how much they are paid, look at the Red Cross.

They are fund raisers, not researchers, and the money they send for research is spent by peer reviewed science, to further knowledge.

No one would claim that children with Polio were treated as full citizens, or any of the other childhood conditions that only well funded research could deal with. You can claim The March of Dimes was a terrorist extorisonist organization, but they brought in the money.

In Honduras I got mugged by three Nuns running an orphanage, they were going to put food on the table, and you know, they will be forgiven.

Genetics study has only shown that autism is not a simple thing. So no extirmination. It has advanced a greater across the board peer reviewed body of science about genetics, that will be useful for many things.

Neurology study has had a rapid payback, not for autism, but brain trama is much better understood and treated, and our troops in the field are getting better care because of it, auto accidents. The days of, "It is just a mild concussion take an asprin," are over, rapid treatment saves lives.

Vaccines? Maybe they did push for and fund studies, which showed Vaccines are safe.

Early treatment and intervention? The majority on WP think there should be more, but after testing to see what works, and that takes money.

One or two women said they wanted to kill their child and themselves? No millions of women have said that, and the ones in the news, killed perfectly healthy children.

Autism Speaks has directed tens of millions toward research that they do not control, real science that helps everyone. In the adult world it is results that count.

So Autism Speaks spends half on fund raising? The non profit cutoff is 89%, and 11% donated to the cause. 50% is good numbers.

All of this work is being protested? They are being harrassed at every public function? Why?

ASAN in my part of the woods would be said to, 'Have a mouth full of nothing, and a hand full of gimmie."

ASAN are doing this for all of us? Well stop.

ASAN speaks for autism? Not a chance, they are some self serving street gang out to become our self appointed leaders, because they smell money and power.

ASANs attacks on the one group that has brought in and spent tens of millions to gain a greater understanding of autism, through well funded peer reviewed science, are a hate crime against all autistic people, their families, and they are just rude street trash.

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who makes us look worse?

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who has done the most good?

ASAN is a group that lives to cause discord, and they have been using Wrong Planet to post their terror network.

ASAN tactics will lead to rocks thrown, blood in the streets, windows broken, and discord on Wrong Planet.

ASAN should not be allowed to drag us into their gang warfare tactics. People seeing me as Rainman was bad enough, I do not want the public to see me as a terrorist.

ASAN should not use Wrong Planet as a base for their mindless hate group.

Autism Speaks, I may disagree about some of what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

ASAN does not speak for me, and any more claims they do will be dealt with.

ASAN has used Wrong Planet to attack Temple Grandin, Tony Attwood, and now the only funding source for research.

We do not need a terrorist extortionst street gang using us to further their agenda.

If they were doing this to a web site it would be called a denial of service attack, which is illegal.

They are disrupting the lawful business of an organization who was promoting autism awareness twenty years ago, who have done a lot of good.

They are playing us against public opinion and the largest group of parents, and others who work to learn about autism.

The public is not our enemy, and Autism Speaks is a lot more like Wrong Planet, people seeking answers.

ASAN is a active danger to our community. They are playing a big game of lets you and him fight.

Terrorists, extortionists, and bullies.

Under TOS, creating discord that causes divisions among the Wrong Planet memebership is not allowed.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:38 am

Inventor wrote:
Autism Speaks has done some great work. If you want to look at how much they are paid, look at the Red Cross.

They are fund raisers, not researchers, and the money they send for research is spent by peer reviewed science, to further knowledge.

No one would claim that children with Polio were treated as full citizens, or any of the other childhood conditions that only well funded research could deal with. You can claim The March of Dimes was a terrorist extorisonist organization, but they brought in the money.

In Honduras I got mugged by three Nuns running an orphanage, they were going to put food on the table, and you know, they will be forgiven.

Genetics study has only shown that autism is not a simple thing. So no extirmination. It has advanced a greater across the board peer reviewed body of science about genetics, that will be useful for many things.

Neurology study has had a rapid payback, not for autism, but brain trama is much better understood and treated, and our troops in the field are getting better care because of it, auto accidents. The days of, "It is just a mild concussion take an asprin," are over, rapid treatment saves lives.

Vaccines? Maybe they did push for and fund studies, which showed Vaccines are safe.

Early treatment and intervention? The majority on WP think there should be more, but after testing to see what works, and that takes money.

One or two women said they wanted to kill their child and themselves? No millions of women have said that, and the ones in the news, killed perfectly healthy children.

Autism Speaks has directed tens of millions toward research that they do not control, real science that helps everyone. In the adult world it is results that count.

So Autism Speaks spends half on fund raising? The non profit cutoff is 89%, and 11% donated to the cause. 50% is good numbers.

All of this work is being protested? They are being harrassed at every public function? Why?

ASAN in my part of the woods would be said to, 'Have a mouth full of nothing, and a hand full of gimmie."

ASAN are doing this for all of us? Well stop.

ASAN speaks for autism? Not a chance, they are some self serving street gang out to become our self appointed leaders, because they smell money and power.

ASANs attacks on the one group that has brought in and spent tens of millions to gain a greater understanding of autism, through well funded peer reviewed science, are a hate crime against all autistic people, their families, and they are just rude street trash.

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who makes us look worse?

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who has done the most good?

ASAN is a group that lives to cause discord, and they have been using Wrong Planet to post their terror network.

ASAN tactics will lead to rocks thrown, blood in the streets, windows broken, and discord on Wrong Planet.

ASAN should not be allowed to drag us into their gang warfare tactics. People seeing me as Rainman was bad enough, I do not want the public to see me as a terrorist.

ASAN should not use Wrong Planet as a base for their mindless hate group.

Autism Speaks, I may disagree about some of what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

ASAN does not speak for me, and any more claims they do will be dealt with.

ASAN has used Wrong Planet to attack Temple Grandin, Tony Attwood, and now the only funding source for research.

We do not need a terrorist extortionst street gang using us to further their agenda.

If they were doing this to a web site it would be called a denial of service attack, which is illegal.

They are disrupting the lawful business of an organization who was promoting autism awareness twenty years ago, who have done a lot of good.

They are playing us against public opinion and the largest group of parents, and others who work to learn about autism.

The public is not our enemy, and Autism Speaks is a lot more like Wrong Planet, people seeking answers.

ASAN is a active danger to our community. They are playing a big game of lets you and him fight.

Terrorists, extortionists, and bullies.

Under TOS, creating discord that causes divisions among the Wrong Planet memebership is not allowed.

Agree and ASAN needs to open their eyes more in the end.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:32 am

JerryHatake wrote:

Of course, that's what would be expected. Ignoring people with autism is exactly what Autism Speaks does best.