What's one AS topic you'd most like to see covered by media?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AnimeGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2009, 2:07 pm

I would like to something that informs people of the facts. Not spreading lies and stereo types. Many people with ASD can and do live life. It is possible form them to hold jobs, form relationships, have families. The very things that we are often told by the media will never happen.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 2:29 pm

werewolf1994 wrote:
Empathy, are we empathetic, and just too shy to show it, or are we sociopaths?

As a child I experienced an overwhelming degree of empathy and still do but to a lesser degree, thankfully, except when it comes to animals which is still overwhelming for me when I see any animal affected or hurt even in the smallest way. When it's even a little bit bad I can't watch. That doesn't mean that I'm able to express it to others very well.

Some of the stereotypes are a little hard to deal with so maybe something along those lines so the public can be better educated or more accurately informed and yes, the sensory aspect which is probably the most challenging to deal with because it's one thing I can't get away from unlike the social and communication challenges, when necessary.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 5:10 pm

None of it, the media have already milked it dry anyway. I can't wait to they move on to the next thing, I'm sick of hearing about the next AS documentary or another autistic contestant at some reality TV show, I just don't care!

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 8:07 pm

AS in adults, AS in women, how we are not socipaths, how special intrests would be a benefit to an employer, learning disabilites (I HATE the math expert sterotype), AS in the workplace, that AS is a REAL condition

Larajanine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2009, 8:20 pm

I would like to see an article about the fact that no two people are alike let alone that no two people with autism or aspergers are alike. Or that not all with Autism are like rainman and have amazing memories...I have 3 kids with autism and they are alll totally different!

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 7:45 pm

One topic I would like to see written about him in the media about AS the use of service dogs. Though off the topic of AS whatever would really like to see is a good two to three page article on autism speaks through investigating their budget and how they spend the millions of dollars in donations they receive each year also covering these review by the autistic community about the organization and a couple of recommendations about how they could improve their view in the artistic community and some suggestions on how to repair the organization.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2009, 8:20 pm

Something I'd like to see is the social model of disability as it relates to autism. I would argue that autism is the ultimate in the social model because that's precisely where the core deficits lie: social relatedness and communication--But communication is a two-way street. If we are have difficulty relating to other people, could it not also be argued that the "norm" shares an equal responsibility in facilitating better relationships?

redphoenix_mj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2009, 8:44 pm

AS in adults
AS in women
Empathy/feelings experienced by AS kids/adults

Side note: I was in Barnes and Noble booksellers this holiday season and looked for the section containing books on Autism/Aspergers. There was a Psychology section, Self Help section, etc. However, all Autism/Aspergers books, at that store, were in the kids health section. I asked the information desk person who directed me to that section why kids health? Autism doesn't go away in adulthood. She suggested that the placement was company policy and/or the books published are all about/concerning kids. It pissed me off. Not the lady, the policy.

mjm

guineapigirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2010, 6:12 pm

I would also like to see someone with AS say that they do not want to be cured because they accept their Asperger's as being a major part of their personality. Autism is more than just "social retardation" and there are good things that come with having the disorder ( I also feel that the positive aspects of having AS are underemphasized.)