Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 5:43 am

I disapprove of any kind of supremacism in stronger terms than I am allowed to use to express myself here.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 7:14 am

aspie48 wrote:
I am an autistic supremacist and i made a website to correctly represent autism. i was wondering if anyone else agrees with my opinions.

We do not reign supreme to anyone, and no other neurological groups reign supreme over us.
Why do you think this is the "correct" way to represent autism? Whilst I'm all for people promoting autism positively, we are no better than NTs and they are no better than ourselves.
Below is a quote from your website's homepage:
Quote:
I just believe that it is time for autistic people to take the lead, and relieve the responsibilities of running a society from NTs. Running a country and a society the NT way just doesn't make sense any longer, the last few decades alone are proof alone. It is time for a real change in America, the autistic way.

I think personally it would be best if Neurotypical and Neurodiverse people actually came together to change the world for the better, rather than one leading the other.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:17 am

i said on the site that autistic people have advantages as well as disadvantages. i believe that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages because society needs the talents that autistic people have to continue moving forward.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:30 pm

Okay when you go buy a bottle of engine oil do you say to yourself? "All oils are created equal so I can buy cheap regular oil and it will be just as good as a high end synthetic oil."

When you buy a television do you say to yourself ? " All televisions are created equal so a crummy analog TV will be just as good as a high definition televison."?

So does that mean that a normal person is going to be just as smart as Einstein who is autistic ?

When talking about supremacism the pitfall is judging based on superficial differences. Some people think that the best motor oil is purple colored motor oil.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 2:51 pm

aspie48 wrote:
i said on the site that autistic people have advantages as well as disadvantages. i believe that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages because society needs the talents that autistic people have to continue moving forward.

Ok, this I agree with, however I don't believe the world can move forward with autistics alone, though I do believe we would be able to make a decent contribution to it. What I don't agree with is that we are better than NTs (not that they're better than us), which is what you've been implying.
androbot2084 wrote:
Okay when you go buy a bottle of engine oil do you say to yourself? "All oils are created equal so I can buy cheap regular oil and it will be just as good as a high end synthetic oil."

Well last time I checked, we are living breathing humans with minds of our own, not different types of oil.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 May 2011, 5:41 pm

[quote="aspie48"]I am an autistic supremacist and i made a website to correctly represent autism. i was wondering if anyone else agrees with my opinions.

link to site: http://autism-supremacy.webs.com/[/quote]

One autistic's opinion about autism does not "correctly represent" the hundreds of thousands of other autistic opinions out there. Stating that you're an autistic supremacist makes me conjure up thoughts of the beginning scene from the movie Bad Boys 2. Replace the members of the Klu Klux Klan with autistic supremacists, and, well, yeah.

By the way, didn't NT's first define the label, "autistic"? You're using a label created by those you deem inferior.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 5:50 pm

If people w/ASD are so superior, then how come 99% of the population is not autistic? (and since ASD's have probably been around for a long time, they are also not likely to be completely deleterious or without some evolutionary value.)

"Superior" in evolutionary terms has nothing essential to do with being smarter, faster, stronger, better with technology or anything else. It has a narrow meaning which is "more well-adapted to the environment, such that it results in superior reproduction, compared to others in the same environment." So, if that means small muscles and lots of fat, because there isn't a lot of food around and it's generally very cold in the environment, then smaller muscles + fat are "superior" to large muscles + skinny. And the same for any other quality.

People almost always seem to get human notions/feelings/instincts about social superiority mixed up with what evolution is about. There is no connection with being smarter, or better at whatever, and being "more evolved," unless that quality happens to increase your reproductive success (and in a reliable manner amongst others with the same condition/gene/trait).

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 7:57 pm

well i said we have always existed but that the conditions have become right for us to be evolutionarily dominant. that is why autism rates have increased so much over the past years.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Yes because of the new job opportunities that are well suited for autistics. Today an autistic can make a good liiving as a computer programer. In the future the hot jobs will be in humanoid robotics , nuclear powered rocket engines, nuclear powered jet aircraft engines and even nuclear powered automobile engines. Quantum computers with infinite computational capacity , genetic engineering, etc etc. etc. New synthetic engine oils that last a million miles, tires that last a million miles. Vacuum tube trains that go 4000 miles per hour.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:49 pm

While there are people on the spectrum with some really crazy splinter skills, we will all need to integrate with the NTs for TEAMWORK!! !! Because if you will notice, our online communities are woefully lacking in organization coordination, and diplomacy.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:51 am

aspie48 wrote:
well i said we have always existed but that the conditions have become right for us to be evolutionarily dominant. that is why autism rates have increased so much over the past years.

I thought autism diagnosis rates increased because of increased awareness?
In the case of AS at least, I doubt that many knew it existed in, say, the early 90s.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:41 pm

aspie48 wrote:

Actually, it's because diagnosis rates are increasing. People who otherwise would have been diagnosed as ADD/ADHD, schizoid, or mentally ret*d are being diagnosed with autism.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:05 am

Delirium wrote:
aspie48 wrote:

Actually, it's because diagnosis rates are increasing. People who otherwise would have been diagnosed as ADD/ADHD, schizoid, or mentally ret*d are being diagnosed with autism.

I don't know if that is completely the case. With the autism and social, political and related matters proving such statements scientifically is difficult. With regards to the superiority issue it is perhaps at times a coping mechanism individually and within a group of commonality. It has also been used for reasons of mainstream politics, conspiracy theories and so on. It's simply to me much more simple then it is complex.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:20 am

If anything it is a coping mechanism for neurotypicals. Neurotypicals who are envious of the enormous intellect and genius of autistic individuals love to slam poor autistics like Einstein. Neurotypicals constantly point out that Einstein had a terrible memory and couldn't even remember his own phone number. Einstein was always in his own little world and lacked common sense. Neurotypicals may admit that Einstein became intelligent in spite of his autism but in reality it was because of his autism that Einstein was a genius.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:57 am

androbot2084 wrote:
If anything it is a coping mechanism for neurotypicals. Neurotypicals who are envious of the enormous intellect and genius of autistic individuals love to slam poor autistics like Einstein. Neurotypicals constantly point out that Einstein had a terrible memory and couldn't even remember his own phone number. Einstein was always in his own little world and lacked common sense. Neurotypicals may admit that Einstein became intelligent in spite of his autism but in reality it was because of his autism that Einstein was a genius.

I have a very bad short-term memory as well. I can't often remember appointment times, to do things, peoples names and often if it is not part of the simple routine I am forgetful. It took me until twelve to learn to tie my shoes and I am sure other things that are noteworthy but I never much paid attention to compare. However I am smart at specific things and am an original and creative thinker and when I put my mind to achieve I can create the circumstances to achieve so as long as what I am not good at does not get in the way. What you said however I do not entirely agree with. I'd say it's easy to assume folks are out to get me and hate me. I think it's not proper use of intelligent minds and the easy way to solve problems to assume such adversity and get others to automatically believe the worse case scenario but to utilize common sense to incite passion and resolve for more constructive endeavor. Well that doesn't even require originality and is pieces of cake!

As far as theoretical physics I'd much oblige the notion that the universe did not begin. It is mind that begins for certain. Folks trip over open minds and the mind itself is in the way to assume that the origination of awareness is the same as the origination of otherwise as if all. These folks believed once that the earth was flat, the stars were camp fires and so on. I could further elaborate and dissociate these irrationalities from myself by noting right here publicly that indeed I have nothing to do with them ideas because my brain works differently to begin with. There is far more common about me then there is different then the said typical folk and I am very much human regardless.

In general the notions of superiority and inferiority originate from insecurity no matter whom feels to be inferior or superior. Before these kinds of thoughts existed they did not matter. This is the state of mind that is perhaps the more free.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 2:11 am

Delirium wrote:
aspie48 wrote:

To be a positive development in evolution and natural selection, an organism would have to be better at adapting to changing environments and the mutation would have to give the organism a competitive edge in attracting mates for it to procreate better than it's competitors. Most are not better at either. There may be a genetic mutation occurring more and more often in recent generations, but as an evolutionary step, ASDs are probably an evolutionary dead end.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud