Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Excluded or Included?
Isolated - Depends on others to get places and be included in the mainstream. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Somewhat Included / Isolated - Depends on support or in need of others about half of the time or regularly sometimes. 35%  35%  [ 14 ]
Included - Is or was employed without supports, can attend college much like others even if some more difficulty and can hold a regular job outside of home even with some accommodations or with avoiding some job types... 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 40

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

You are extraordinarily high functioning with a simple sensory integration difference. Otherwise you seem quite diverse intellectually, likely gifted in multiple ways, transitionally inclined and preference to be alone at times. I too am of the high functioning.

I will explain briefly how I differ and how I have improved with social services.

Without structure I regress into extreme isolated patterns and was isolated for some eight years but I have no fear or anxiety of people. So social services is part of my life with Regional Center services that gives me regular human interaction in a structured way like when part of day programs. Without it I feel overwhelmed with achieving social contacts for a reason due to a lack of interests on my own initially with most of it but if it is easy to access I do more of it. Many situation like school or work overwhelm me but work does not if helped in the beginning and if it is not to demanding of me certain ways and gradually increases such as learning them cash registers but I would prefer not to do that. Like I would like to clean movie theaters. Online here is nice because I can simply pick topics and begin ones seeking specific interests. Going on the bus other then not really knowing where to go is a whole set of arrangement that frustrates. I do not drive because it's to much to focus on and I space out allot so it is risky.

My goal is to make productive integration more easy for myself and others with more severe disabilities including intellectual. As far as environment that tires me allot especially in school. Eventually I am going to try again but I already tried and got overwhelmed with it. I have an extreme difficulty with certain subjects and in school just could not advance more other then the increased transitions and changes in focuses of high school which were to much. I study my interest and am good at certain things and achieve well with what I can hyper-focus on so as long as it is one or a few related things.

Regional Center social services changed my life and gave me the hope with help to achieve what I set my mind to.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

According to your definition, I am also included. But, right now I am unemployed. I have never gotten a degree in anything though I have taken some college. I don't have a great deal of marketable skills either, & socially I'm about as inept as they come. Support is something that's been sorely lacking in my life since day one (no exaggeration). I've had to learn to rely solely on myself for stuff because there was no one else I could depend on. I'm not even sure what I want to do with myself....being that my main life experience has been in customer service over the years, but I despise it. It's not my idea of a good career to someone who most likely has Aspergers or at the very least social anxiety. It's very stressful which also makes me less productive.

I guess what I would like to see is training/classes for people in my age bracket for those of us who need it, & that it be affordable instead of super expensive because the middle aged can afford to pay top dollar. Really? Many of us have taken a huge hit since the downturn in the economy. Employers mostly don't want the middle-aged. Also, not everyone who's in their 40s or older has had adequate support in life. I can drive, but find myself not wanting to leave home even to step outside the front door. I have all kinds of anxieties, & doctors don't take my situation seriously because I "look" normal. I am decidedly NOT normal. If I can see it, why is it so difficult for professionals to see what I see? Why can't the see past the exterior, & why are they not open to testing for abilities & short-comings? It might make it easier for us to get our foot in the door where we could be productive instead of living life on the edge of society. If people would just listen & then respond instead of just talking over people like me & being disrespectful to us. Those are a few things that would really help a lot. Is this just wishful thinking?

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

It's good to know a vast majority of people on here are VERY High Functioning because they are not much like people whom I know locally with a form of autism. Whereas I am high functioning and think I am capable of much more with the proper structure. However what is not represented is those who otherwise are more disabled and who do not participate on online forums. I am of the highest functioning in the Regional Center system. Also not to be mean just I would not be interested in social clique aspie things if there was one here. I am focused simply on creating changes and improvements to decrease system dependencies, improve outcomes and independence by means of gainful inclusion into society.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

ci wrote:
It's good to know a vast majority of people on here are VERY High Functioning because they are not much like people whom I know locally with a form of autism. Whereas I am high functioning and think I am capable of much more with the proper structure. However what is not represented is those who otherwise are more disabled and who do not participate on online forums. I am of the highest functioning in the Regional Center system. Also not to be mean just I would not be interested in social clique aspie things if there was one here. I am focused simply on creating changes and improvements to decrease system dependencies, improve outcomes and independence by means of gainful inclusion into society.

High functioning is very subjective. I may be able to appear high functioning in some areas, but in others, I'm barely functional at all. Maybe you need to add more criteria to your poll?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

The poll is based on needs in society which does not even include profound intellectual disabilities but a measure of higher functionalism. Very high functioning does not mean an individual does not suffer from imperfection. It is also my opinion if someone focuses to much on negatives in the self it can effect global functionalism in the self.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

ci wrote:
The poll is based on needs in society which does not even include profound intellectual disabilities but a measure of higher functionalism. Very high functioning does not mean an individual does not suffer from imperfection. It is also my opinion if someone focuses to much on negatives in the self it can effect global functionalism in the self.

Um yeah. So if one is considered high functioning, one doesn't need resources beyond oneself. Thanks. Just another nail in the coffin.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
ci wrote:

Um yeah. So if one is considered high functioning, one doesn't need resources beyond oneself. Thanks. Just another nail in the coffin.

Not really as I need allot of help. I think dependency also does not necessarily denote functionalism as a culture of dependency can manifest emotionally and psychologically altering outcomes. However for things like college some services are already available like disability assistance offices. I tried to use that and got allot of help but still. I like simply learning and the college structure and traditional classroom and how I learn just has never worked out for me but I love learning yet have grown quite upset at learning because of the kinds of structure required.

While I will agree the perception of others looking at individuals that seem normal does not denote scientific fact of brain function due to cosmetic exterior help required is based on NEEDS. This poll was about needs and functionalism of everyday life. Higher functioning people supporting an organization like ASAN who politically guilts the public about prenatal abortion testing in potential and asks for services at the same time really is just VERY bad PR. Aside from this lays the truth of how one experiences life in everyday life. I would like nothing other then to function normally and become independent myself and it seems others achieve remarkably well according to the poll as compared to others.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm

ci wrote:
Not really as I need allot of help. I think dependency also does not necessarily denote functionalism as a culture of dependency can manifest emotionally and psychologically altering outcomes. However for things like college some services are already available like disability assistance offices. I tried to use that and got allot of help but still. I like simply learning and the college structure and traditional classroom and how I learn just has never worked out for me but I love learning yet have grown quite upset at learning because of the kinds of structure required.

While I will agree the perception of others looking at individuals that seem normal does not denote scientific fact of brain function due to cosmetic exterior help required is based on NEEDS. This poll was about needs and functionalism of everyday life. Higher functioning people supporting an organization like ASAN who politically guilts the public abort prenatal abortion testing in potential and asks for services at the same time really is just VERY bad PR. Aside from this lays the truth of how one experiences life in everyday life. I would like nothing other then to function normally and become independent myself and it seems others achieve remarkably well according to the poll as compared to others.

I agree with you about general society. Many times assistance is based upon appearance or on some special interest group. It is also bad PR to guilt society into doing something out of that guilt. Where's the responsibility? My eduction had its share of ups & downs depending on the subject. I also had some who tried to tell me I was too dumb to take a certain class, which I feel is inappropriate for any level of education. How is it that someone can be considered too stupid to get through a class, & who has the authority to make those determinations? I don't think that's what education is supposed to do....push someone down & make them feel like they are too inferior to learn a subject. I certainly wasn't stupid in every subject & some I even excelled. Not one person is good at everything. It's just not possible.

Right now, I have come to the conclusion that I have no real social skills. People skills are necessary for survival, without them, life is pretty tough. So even someone who can function at a higher capacity in some respects can be completely inept in others. I have yet to see a program that will help if one is high functioning in any one area. No one has perfect skills, not even the NT, but being on the spectrum, life is certainly more challenging at best. At worst, it makes one feel unwanted & shunned by society. There has to be some way to integrate those who fall on the spectrum with the rest of society no matter where they fall on the scale. I'd really like to see some kind of testing in general happen so that anyone who needs help gets the assistance needed & not just swept under some rug, because they deviate from the standard human being. Education is the easy part because there's a fair amount of structure. Whereas in RL, that structure is subtle if it exists at all. People have expectations of those who get through at least some college level courses to be able to figure out social structure even when it's remarkably subtle. Therein lies the pitfall for many.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Can I conduct a full analysis of what you said?

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

ci wrote:
Can I conduct a full analysis of what you said?

Ok go for it.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Alright I will be on this evening to write as I have to go conduct business behavior for my attempt to take over the world now with autism and developmental disability invasion (inclusion) plans at this time.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:52 pm

ci wrote:
Alright I will be on this evening to write as I have to go conduct business behavior for my attempt to take over the world now with autism and developmental disability invasion (inclusion) plans at this time.

LOL Sounds devious. Have fun!