PBS Frontline reports Sensory Processing Disorder-Adam Lanza

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Did the recent PBS Frontline Show/Related Article on Adam Lanza provide valuable information on Sensory Processing Disorder for the General Public?
I have Sensory Processing Disorder symptoms, and believe it provides valuable information. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
I have Sensory Processing Disorder symptoms, and do not believe it provides valuable information. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
I do not have Sensory Processing Disorder symptoms, and believe it provides valuable information. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I do not have Sensory Processing Disorder symptoms, and do not believe it provides valuable information. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Other, please comment. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 5:14 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
It is very beneficial that the DSM5 ASD definition is including Sensory issues as an optional criterion element in the RRBI section.

You know what would be even more beneficial? If the DSM-5 included SPD itself. They make it seem as though sensory issues ONLY happen if you have an ASD. :roll:

Yes, I agree, and think the inclusion of SPD as an actual described criterion of a disorder, may provide eventual inclusion of SPD as a stand alone disorder in version 5.1, 5.2 etc., whenever the DSM committees can come to agreement on this. I think greater focus will be applied in the clinical environment to SPD with the addition of this optional criterion element in ASD.

SPD is already identified by the SPD foundation as a stand alone disorder that should actually be diagnosed co-morbid with ASD, as ADHD will be in the near future, per technical inclusion in the DSM5 instead of the exclusion in the DSMIV. This is very important so people can be covered by insurance, the ADA, IEP's. and be provided appropriate supports for the stand alone disorder.

I also understand that SPD is associated with ADHD, Schizophrenia, and the various learning disorders specific to communication like pragmatic language impairment, non-verbal learning disorder, and Hyperlexia. It seems very complex to attempt to provide the boundaries, as all of this except for schizophrenia is associated with ASD.

I wonder if, even though SPD is included as an optional criterion element in the DSM5, if the more restrictive elements of the DSM5 will exclude some with SPD, in meeting an ASD diagnosis. I also wonder if the same may apply to some of those previously having the symptoms of NVLD. Its appears those individuals with pragmatic language impairment are well covered under the new Social Communication disorder or DSM5 ASD.

http://www.spdfoundation.net/otherdisorders.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_in ... ysfunction

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:27 pm

aghogday wrote:
I wonder if, even though SPD is included as an optional criterion element in the DSM5, if the more restrictive elements of the DSM5 will exclude some with SPD, in meeting an ASD diagnosis. I also wonder if the same may apply to some of those previously having the symptoms of NVLD.

I'm a big believer that my AS is a severe form of NVLD rather than a form of autism, just due to the symptoms and how I relate and all that. So, I feel that, with the AS diagnosis gone, the best way to describe my AS is by an NVLD and an SPD diagnosis. But, of course, neither of those are going to be put in the DSM-5, so I'm sort of lost. :roll:

Nash: Is there a difference?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:26 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
aghogday wrote:
I wonder if, even though SPD is included as an optional criterion element in the DSM5, if the more restrictive elements of the DSM5 will exclude some with SPD, in meeting an ASD diagnosis. I also wonder if the same may apply to some of those previously having the symptoms of NVLD.

I'm a big believer that my AS is a severe form of NVLD rather than a form of autism, just due to the symptoms and how I relate and all that. So, I feel that, with the AS diagnosis gone, the best way to describe my AS is by an NVLD and an SPD diagnosis. But, of course, neither of those are going to be put in the DSM-5, so I'm sort of lost. :roll:

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, do you think you would fit the Gillberg Criteria for Aspergers?

http://www.bbbautism.com/asp_gillberg.htm