Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Adenosine
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2016, 8:16 pm

I liked Gary Bell from Alphas. He had special powers, but it was tied to something other than his autism, and he had enough tics and sensory problems to look genuinely awkward, rather than the charming sort I've seen from other shows. Why do I appreciate that? Because it looks genuinely awkward in real life. It isn't easy to look at, in many cases.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2016, 10:30 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Also, there was no need to roll your eyes at me. That was kind of rude.

I wasn't rolling them at you, I was rolling them at fans who think he's Autistic.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm

CryingTears15 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
Also, there was no need to roll your eyes at me. That was kind of rude.

I wasn't rolling them at you, I was rolling them at fans who think he's Autistic.

Sorry I misinterpreted that. I can't always tell what people mean with emoticons or emojis or whatever they call those now.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 3:19 am

Though he is never ID'd as a having aspergers the most accurate aspie character on TV IMHO is "Brick": the youngest child in the family in the sitcom "the Middle". In the earlier seasons he even had verbal "stims" (though they arent called that in the show).

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2016, 12:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Though he is never ID'd as a having aspergers the most accurate aspie character on TV IMHO is "Brick": the youngest child in the family in the sitcom "the Middle". In the earlier seasons he even had verbal "stims" (though they arent called that in the show).

He does seem to have something of that sort, imo.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 5:06 pm

Max from Mary and Max. He stimmed during his panic attacks, stuck to routines, talked about his problems with people, his trouble with employment, etc. For a stop-motion comedy, it was pretty genuine.

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2016, 6:06 pm

Pileo wrote:
Max from Mary and Max. He stimmed during his panic attacks, stuck to routines, talked about his problems with people, his trouble with employment, etc. For a stop-motion comedy, it was pretty genuine.

Oh I forgot about that :) Such a charming (and sad) movie.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 5:51 am

I had very favorable feelings about the Sonya character in "the Bridge". I couldn't say just how accurate her portrayal was, but I could identify with some of it. I always hoped she would succeed.

It was amusing to me how, in an early scene, she was sent to interview a victim, and when she suspects she is not properly communicating with that person at the emotional level, compensates by offering a glass of water, because apparently somebody has told her that's always an appropriate thing to do.

Of course, if you watched all the episodes you learn she has other issues besides autism.

I frequently find myself liking characters in TV shows that are meant to be autistic and are not shown any respect by the other characters. What's worse is that in forums, people will post how much they hate that character and wish they'd be killed off. It reminds me how different my POV is from "normal".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 10:48 am

MaxE wrote:
I had very favorable feelings about the Sonya character in "the Bridge". I couldn't say just how accurate her portrayal was, but I could identify with some of it. I always hoped she would succeed.

It was amusing to me how, in an early scene, she was sent to interview a victim, and when she suspects she is not properly communicating with that person at the emotional level, compensates by offering a glass of water, because apparently somebody has told her that's always an appropriate thing to do.

Of course, if you watched all the episodes you learn she has other issues besides autism.

I frequently find myself liking characters in TV shows that are meant to be autistic and are not shown any respect by the other characters. What's worse is that in forums, people will post how much they hate that character and wish they'd be killed off. It reminds me how different my POV is from "normal".

Alex Plank founder and creator of this website was a consultant on the show and he greatly influenced the Sonya character.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman