Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:40 pm

magz wrote:
I think those marriages are very unfortunate.
I feel sorry for them.
Sometimes diagnosable conditions - including Asperger's - serve as "identified patient" so the unhealthy system of the whole family remains undiagnosed and untreated.

I feel sorry for individual members up until the point when they denigrate a whole group of people in a hateful way and do it by claiming every bad person is or was an Aspie every bad trait is caused by Aspergers. The proceeding is most of what they do on that and similar sites. I look at them in similar ways as I do the KKK or Nazis. In fairness, they are not that bad. As far as I know, they have not killed any anybody, engaged in acts of terrorism or enabled or approved of violence. With the language they use to describe us it would not surprise me if a member of the site commits an anti aspie hate crime or as a group they talk themselves into such a rage that they become a violence spouting or enabling group.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 9:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I feel sorry for individual members up until the point when they denigrate a whole group of people in a hateful way and do it by claiming every bad person is or was an Aspie every bad trait is caused by Aspergers. The proceeding is most of what they do on that and similar sites.

Indeed there are a lot of inaccurate, exaggerated, and just plain wrong claims about Aspergers/ASD on that site. Example: the claim that Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a form of ASD. Although it's possible for an autistic person to have co-occurring NPD, the two are fundamentally different things, and probably don't overlap a whole lot.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 9:23 pm

How would they react if a female aspie came into the site and told them how hurtful they're being because they're generalizing all aspies, male and female?

And why is something like this still on the internet. Isn't it basically hate crime to even have a site like that?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 12:18 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
And why is something like this still on the internet. Isn't it basically hate crime to even have a site like that?

At least here in the U.S.A., there's no law against "hate speech" or "hate sites" per se, although most of the major web hosting providers refuse to host them. There are laws against violent hate crimes, but "hate speech" per se is considered to be protected by the First Amendment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 4:57 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

At least here in the U.S.A., there's no law against "hate speech" or "hate sites" per se, although most of the major web hosting providers refuse to host them. There are laws against violent hate crimes, but "hate speech" per se is considered to be protected by the First Amendment.

The U.S.A. grants far more "free speech" rights than most if not any other country. The speech has to be an immediate threat for it to be not protected.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2019, 7:26 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
How would they react if a female aspie came into the site and told them how hurtful they're being because they're generalizing all aspies, male and female?

Badly. I read a chain about one woman who moderately and intelligently (after I read her old posts) defended aspies and how the site owner was glad the site had changed for the better by the exclusion of those types of views.