Page 2 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 2:15 am

Quote:
Black Mage doesn't like Autism Speaks.

White Mage Rosa with her bow and Edgar with his auto crossbow will nail them down with arrows.

Last edited by scumsuckingdouchebag on 16 Feb 2008, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Memories
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2008, 2:28 am

What's Autism Speaks?

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 4:01 am

My case against Autism Speaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMMwG7RrFQ

I won't embed it here as it would be blasphemy.

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:15 am

Autism Speaks - as I understand it - are actually trying to find the genetic origin of ASD's. This is a good thing. What's bad though is what they want to do with that information - eugenics. They want to wipe ASD's out that way by promoting abortions a la Downs Syndrome (where this is already happening).

The other problem is that they try to speak for all ASD's as though HFA's and Aspies are unable to do so. That's garbage and we all know it!

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:48 am

They shouldn't be called "Autsim Speaks", they should be called "Mothers Against Autism" as that's what they really are!

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:49 am

Tequila wrote:
They advocate a 'cure' for autism. Supporters say that would be good for autistic people and it would make people's lives easier and because we can't pick on the blacks we'll pick on autistics. Critics say it's a bigoted load of nonsense that would lead to the eradication of a way of thinking.

Man, that's a pretty loaded explanation, comparing them to racists. That's an emotional appeal and means nothing next to the actual fact that Autism Speaks is sending hateful messages and apparently attempting to scare parents into ... something ... in their quest for a cure that may or may not exist.

Anyway, you can't deny that a cure (if such a thing exists, which I won't argue) would indeed make people's lives easier. You may enjoy being on the spectrum—that's fine—but you can hardly deny the difficulties it must cause you. Acceptable difficulty maybe, to you, but maybe someone else doesn't find it acceptable. I'm not interested in a cure myself, but it's not unreasonable to hope that those who want it can someday have it.

I don't mean by this that I support Autism Speaks. In fact, I've flagged the above video as a violation of YouTube's hate speech policy (as it obviously is) with the following note: "This video is demeaning and hateful to autistics and misrepresents the condition with the sole purpose of scaring parents."

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:28 am

Tequila wrote:
They advocate a 'cure' for autism. Supporters say that would be good for autistic people and it would make people's lives easier and because we can't pick on the blacks we'll pick on autistics. Critics say it's a bigoted load of nonsense that would lead to the eradication of a way of thinking.

So it's just because they're curebies or what?

Do you really think they're trying to pick on people with autism?

They may be misinformed about autism, but I hardly think they hate autistics or want to pick on them. I'm waiting for Godwin's Law to pop up, here.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:31 am

Paladin_Cecil wrote:
We don't need to be cured, that's the thing!

I do, kthx. Just like you don't want people speaking for you and saying all autism must be cured, I don't want other people speaking for "we" saying that I don't need cured.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:35 am

WurdBendur wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Man, that's a pretty loaded explanation, comparing them to racists. That's an emotional appeal and means nothing next to the actual fact that Autism Speaks is sending hateful messages and apparently attempting to scare parents into ... something ... in their quest for a cure that may or may not exist.

Anyway, you can't deny that a cure (if such a thing exists, which I won't argue) would indeed make people's lives easier. You may enjoy being on the spectrum—that's fine—but you can hardly deny the difficulties it must cause you. Acceptable difficulty maybe, to you, but maybe someone else doesn't find it acceptable. I'm not interested in a cure myself, but it's not unreasonable to hope that those who want it can someday have it.

I don't mean by this that I support Autism Speaks. In fact, I've flagged the above video as a violation of YouTube's hate speech policy (as it obviously is) with the following note: "This video is demeaning and hateful to autistics and misrepresents the condition with the sole purpose of scaring parents."

You reek of fair and balanced. How do you do it?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 7:00 am

There's nothing bad about Autism Speaks and a cure isn't a bad idea either.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 8:20 am

WurdBendur wrote:

No, I was just using it as an excuse for a nice slice of vitriol. I don't want a cure and if I sound a tiny bit passionate then I'm not sorry. Some people want to eradicate us.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:01 pm

I think you should come over to the forum www.autismspeaks.org/community/forums/index.php . You will meet some of the most unpleasant people in the autism community online. BUT! you will also meet a lot of parents just trying to do the best for their kids. Look out for the notorious trouble-maker "Zarathustra" engaging in his regular flame-wars with John Best. There are also occasionally very good discussions. Please join me in trying to make more of them happen.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:02 pm

I think you should come over to the forum www.autismspeaks.org/community/forums/index.php . You will meet some of the most unpleasant people in the autism community online. BUT! you will also meet a lot of parents just trying to do the best for their kids. Look out for the notorious trouble-maker "Zarathustra" engaging in his regular flame-wars with John Best. There are also occasionally very good discussions. Please join me in trying to make more of them happen.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 1:07 pm

Cheerlessleader wrote:
They shouldn't be called "Autsim Speaks", they should be called "Mothers Against Autism" as that's what they really are!

I agree, and these are perfect examples of Refrigerator Mothers.

WilsonFisk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 1:56 pm

Zarathustra - how come you have so much free time to post on forums? Don't you have a job?

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 2:01 pm

If it's any of your business, I am at work now... It's a hard life...