Comedy Central , Sunday Night in USA..Fund raiser for autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:46 pm

Well, even if you don't donate, I am sure they are using their ad money as part of the proceeds. So, by proxy, you are supporting them by watching.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:15 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I think the will farrel bush impersonator was good enough...

I watched pieces of it, the songs were awful (just because I don't like show-tune style). The "comedy" bits didn't amuse me-but the fake interview with Ferrell as Bush (reprising his SNL role) actually was funny, so I enjoyed that.

I just get fed up with it always being "only" about children-esp. since I'm not one nor do I have any, it's me myself dx'd with this sort of thing. That's my personal demographic bias.

alex
Developer
Developer

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 6:21 am

Yeah and then Deacon said Steven Wright was on it. I didn't see him in the line up. I would have muted the whole thing just to see him.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:20 am

Belfast wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
I think the will farrel bush impersonator was good enough...

I watched pieces of it, the songs were awful (just because I don't like show-tune style). The "comedy" bits didn't amuse me-but the fake interview with Ferrell as Bush (reprising his SNL role) actually was funny, so I enjoyed that.

There was also the steve carrell segment in the beginning where he downed 6 gin + tonics and ate a chocolate cake with his bare hands as "what he could do with the $100 he didnt donate"...

Quote:
I just get fed up with it always being "only" about children-esp. since I'm not one nor do I have any, it's me myself dx'd with this sort of thing. That's my personal demographic bias.

That's the autism speaks propaganda for you...

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

Well, in fairness, a lot of what they were raising money for was after-school programs, and there aren't really many after-school programs for autistic adults...

Really, the only one who out-and-out offended me was O'Donnell, and that wasn't until her closing. Something in Hebrew, presumabl from her Kabbalah studies, and then, "Peace out. Autism. Cure."

To which I replied (as if she could hear me), "Stupid b!tch. Go. Away!!"

Lots of ithe show left me looking at the screen, feeling like some sort of anthropologist - "So that's what NTs think is funny? Hmm, that does explain a bit. No wonder they don't think we have a sense of humor!"

I did like the bit where Chris Rock said he was contractually forbidden from doing his act, but they didn't say anything about someone else's act - so he started doing Steven Wright. Then Steven came out, and started quoting Chris Rock's bits. (And Steven Wright was still funnier than Chris Rock!) :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 9:51 am

They should give us the proceeds to us, instead of Autism Spoken For.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

I didn't watch it as my TiVo alerted me to a "That Mitchell and Webb Look" marathon on BBC America. Since that's one of my favorite shows, I watched that instead.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 11:17 am

Alex have you considered trying to get an appearance on the Daily Show? Maybe clear some of this up (since the general public isn't really aware of us since autism is spoken for has the huge media campaign.) Our plight would probably be more recognized by the primary daily show demographic (the 18-30 range) than the soccer mom/Hillary supporter camp...

Semi_Lost_Serenity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2008, 11:25 am

I noticed that one of the benefits was after school care for autistics - which I thought was particularly cool because at least they're not going to be some place where kids picked on them AND they were being given the appropriate theraphy.

I'm 26 and wishing I had pragmatic speech theraphy years ago - would have saved me a lot of difficulty and money.

The part that they're doing for Autism Speaks sucks - but, let's face it, Autism Speaks is going to be at every single major autistic funding service - sort of like how coffee and donuts are going to be at every single conference meeting even though I can't eat donuts (sugar and gluten).

Okay, may be that was a lame example. At any rate, there were only a handful of skits that were funny (SNL President Bush lol), but I think most of the comedians came out for the PR.

If the adults on the spectrum seriously want to make an effort to attract the media's attention, it's going to take twice as many as us than them - and they outnumber us.

If someone would just up a date in April or some month and say "this is the day that every single autistic adults will right a letter to ten types of media outlets" (like radio, tv, cable, organizations), I bet the adults on the autistic spectrum would get heard. But it would take every single adult on the autistic spectrum to do so.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

Didn't see it. Too busy watching Death Note :)

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:05 pm

Jon used this as a segue joke in the daily show tonight. "If you didnt support this, why do you love autism so much?"

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Apr 2008, 12:50 am

I thought it was "The Night of Too Many Commercials." Made it through the first hour but then switched over to tivo'd Mitchell and Webb and fast-forwarded through their commercials. :D
The skit of the guy captured in the "Garden Store" cracked me up a lot harder than the Autism Benefit.
I agree with ToadOfSteel, we should all bombard The Daily Show with demands Alex be heard in such a "democratic nation" as America. Both sides of the strory should be made available in any truly democratic nation. (anytime I see the word "nation" now I hear Stephan Colbert saying it in my head. :D )

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 8:59 am

Maybe if one of us here on WP wrote a book about living with AS or ASD, Jon would take us (he seems to have alot of guests writing books). Not only would the appearence give the book some public notice, it would also allow us to reach that age group that's most likely to listen to us...

dwak
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2008, 3:11 pm

liane Willey comes to mind as a person with a book, as does Temple Grandin, though they might not fit well with the daily show, there must be others, I don't see why they would have to be from this site.
Also alex what conversation did you have with a producer if you don't mind elaborating

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:09 am

Steve Carell was hilarious as usual, the rest was lackluster at best.

It didn't help that 50% of the show got bleeped out :roll: