Page 3 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:42 pm

Hansie wrote:
psychohist wrote:
I think aspies who are comfortable with themselves and realize they aren't disabled are more likely to like the idea of an aspie society. Aspies who think of themselves as inferior and want to be what they think neurotypicals are like are more likely to object to the idea.

Aspies that can see the intrinsic value in other people (regardless of neural orientation) object to the idea of an aspie society.

What Hansie said. I know I'm awesome, and I know the things that make me awesome come from my Asperger's, not despite it. But separatism is just not a good idea.

omicron
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2010, 3:11 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Hansie wrote:
psychohist wrote:
I think aspies who are comfortable with themselves and realize they aren't disabled are more likely to like the idea of an aspie society. Aspies who think of themselves as inferior and want to be what they think neurotypicals are like are more likely to object to the idea.

Aspies that can see the intrinsic value in other people (regardless of neural orientation) object to the idea of an aspie society.

What Hansie said. I know I'm awesome, and I know the things that make me awesome come from my Asperger's, not despite it. But separatism is just not a good idea.

I get it, you compromise with supremacy :D

A question to everybody:

I suppose we all accept that humans will continue to evolve. If not AS, then what do you think will happen at the cognitive level? We'll be more like mother Teresa? Like George bush? Hannibal the cannibal? Einstein? Say some famous personality, real or fictional.

Yea ok i'm cheating with the last one. :D

If your real answer was something other then AS, would you be less "inhibited" in saying it so?

I'm implying that you are partial.

Science fiction writers seem to have decided we are "superior". Thats NTs them selves, not aspie supremacists.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 4:43 pm

I don't think we are "superior". I see no reason why we should be treated as inferior. By that I mean there is no reason tactical, logical or otherwise why we should accept the label other than it seems we have accepted this, almost as if it were matter of social convention.

The dark side to this is when they get it in their heads to really persecute a minority non typical group they seem to do it very efficiently and in a coordinated way. Not all of them go along with it. Not all NT's can be persuaded to become eugenic psychopaths, but there are cases when the majority of them can't help having a localized cull and start loading us onto trains. And yes I can give loads of source examples of this in the last century.

I think we have the capacity to prevent this from happening if needs be, not just to ourselves but to NT's as.

If needs be.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 5:02 pm

Aslo, this is the weird thing about them, if they think we have the capacity to develop an effective form of stage 3 Thinking -cognitive-memetic warfare against them (even if this is just an Aspie-joke- might not be 8) ) they will do stuff like give us grants and resources to become a self determining sub-type. if we are really nice harmless and don't threaten them with weapons of the imagination they do horrible things.

No I can't figure it out either but that is what has happened with other minority groups in the UK.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 5:26 pm

You're awesome.

Witch trials, for example, were an attack on diverse mental traits.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:27 pm

Tesla, when hounded by J. Edgar Hoover, the b***h of George Westinghouse, published that he had almost finished his Death Ray. Hoover backed down, for he knew Tesla would need at least one subject to test it on.

Stage three thinking is possible, the linking of minds to project power, and the same power used to cut and move the stones of Viracocha's city on the shores of Lake Titicaca.

Many know to fear it, for there is no defense.

Many pretend to have it, wear robes, hang out on Salsbury Plain, but the minds that can focus the force are not ordinary.

A reading of the witch trials of Europe show some common traits, the claim of exceptional mental powers. Burning 5,000,000 at the stake did not remove them.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:56 pm

Memesplice, you keep going on as if there's some historical case of holocaust against autistics. If there is something that resembles that, can you fill me in? Or, are you just projecting possibilities into the future?

Also, what on earth is 'stage three thinking'?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:58 pm

omicron wrote:
Science fiction writers seem to have decided we are "superior". Thats NTs them selves, not aspie supremacists.

I'd think it highly likely that a lot of those writers were in fact aspies.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 7:05 pm

psychohist wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Evolution works via reproduction. In what way does Asperger's Syndrome convey a reproductive advantage?

Aspies communicate with each other more efficiently than neurotypicals communicate with each other, as aspies don't have to waste as much time on ego stroking. This can make aspies more productive, giving them more resources for children; it can also make them more efficient at raising those children, allowing them to raise more of them.

Granted aspies are at a disadvantage in the currently neurotypical dominated society, so reaching a critical mass might be difficult. In addition, it may be that neurotypicals are at an advantage in times of surplus. However, among my own acquaintances - which, granted, is an unusual group - aspies have on average twice the number of kids that neurotypicals have, so it's not completely far fetched.

I bolded the part that I don't believe. That is just plain implausible.

omicron
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2010, 8:04 pm

Moog wrote:
omicron wrote:

I'd think it highly likely that a lot of those writers were in fact aspies.

And what about there clients? I think you giving higher credit to writers then is due, they are artists, not expert is psychology or whatever. They get inspiration by what they know, or think they know. In my opinion they replicate certain treats, every time they want to imply that a character is smart, there public seems to accept that these treats imply smart. Most of them probably didn't bother to dig more to find out that these treats have a name.

May be this is why its controversial, silently every one accepted it. Do you see any controversy about the earth being flat? Have you seen the size of the s**t storm about evolution and creationism? Homophobes have stronger homesexual urges then non homophobes, an inner conflict resolves with hate. Maybe something similar happens with us, if true, the situation could get as bad as with homosexuals or worse if we grow in numbers. I have to admit my modesty circuit is unhappy with the fear theory, i really feel immodest. Maybe this is why many aspies complain to, we are too modest. Oups modesty circuit even more unhappy. Does it make YOU feel immodest admitting you are modest?

Serious self psychology, regardless of what you think. Do you FEEL, not think, immodest if you admit that we are .... the evolutionary future of humanity? Do you feel bad about your self? Smile nervously? Being tense? Then the explanation is that you are in a small denial if you think that we are not. If you weren't, then you shouldn't have a strong emotional responce, it doesn't guarantee that you are really wrong, but it does guarantee you drawn your conclusions on shaky grounds. Yes strong emotions can do that, thats gets circular, but its exactly the problem of NTs, they are too emotional in general, and there logic gets clouded. So by your little modesty denial episode, you have a glimpse of what "flaw" NTs are suffering from, so that they need replacing ....by us. I want your answers in this question, don't pretend you didn't see it. Do you get strongly emotional on this? I think many aspies do have a self image problem deep down.

homophobe experiment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-7AoxFEJA

(i'm not bashing any one above)
(Dam, even when i wrote the above, i felt immodest, sorry self referentiality and psychology are some of my thiiiiings :D)

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 8:12 pm

omicron wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

Actually, no. That would be implying that I think that an NT can't be awesome too. My Asperger's has given me a great memory and very high processing speed, but those traits aren't exclusive to Aspies. I was contradicting the idea that the only Aspies who feel inferior think separatism is a bad idea.

omicron
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2010, 9:41 pm

pat2rome wrote:
omicron wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

Actually, no. That would be implying that I think that an NT can't be awesome too. My Asperger's has given me a great memory and very high processing speed, but those traits aren't exclusive to Aspies. I was contradicting the idea that the only Aspies who feel inferior think separatism is a bad idea.

i was jocking :D

But any way. The brain has basically programs(emotional response), built in by natural selection. These programs work on average, when people are literate, you have an advantage if you get an important set of programs, you have limited access to information, NTs rule. Today you have wireless Internet, you are drowned under information 24/7, aspies use them for above average results. An illiterate aspie would do what with his skills? Literate NTs get there programs interfering with what they do, we on the other hand must do more by hand.
Think about the magnitudes of change, when you pass from iliteracy to wireless internet 24/7, natural selection didn't built humans with that amount of available information in mind, from that alone you can be sure NTs WILL evolve in something else. Evolutionary, Its as big, as when the first fish got out of the water. Aspie supremacy Its an example of less is more. I think everybody agrees theres something less in our brain compared to NTs. Overstimulations, can be explained by automatic repair systems pointlessly attempting to compensate the holes, by over stimulating whats left(similar: ghost limb pain syndrome).

Maybe you'll see aspie supremacy differently, with the less is more theory. It doesn't exactly say (my interpretation at least), we have something more, then those light headed NTs. Its hard to set up an aspie KKK with an explanation per above. Aspie supremacy is less about intelligence, and more about actually using it. People greatly under estimate how important emotions are in decision making.

And of course, genetically its much easier to pull something out, then add something in. The gene can spontaneously appear rather easily. And Aspergers, is really a syndrome, there's great underlying genetic diversity for a similar phenotype.

Maybe others want to detail how there aspie supremacy work? Maybe it will dispel some misunderstandings.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 1:20 am

Hansie wrote:

You can see intrinsic value in other people without wanting to live with them on a daily basis.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 2:04 am

Janissy wrote:
psychohist wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Evolution works via reproduction. In what way does Asperger's Syndrome convey a reproductive advantage?

Aspies communicate with each other more efficiently than neurotypicals communicate with each other, as aspies don't have to waste as much time on ego stroking. This can make aspies more productive, giving them more resources for children; it can also make them more efficient at raising those children, allowing them to raise more of them.

Granted aspies are at a disadvantage in the currently neurotypical dominated society, so reaching a critical mass might be difficult. In addition, it may be that neurotypicals are at an advantage in times of surplus. However, among my own acquaintances - which, granted, is an unusual group - aspies have on average twice the number of kids that neurotypicals have, so it's not completely far fetched.

I bolded the part that I don't believe. That is just plain implausible.

Given you believe the unbolded part, particularly the first paragraph on productive and reproductive efficiency, what makes the bolded part so implausible?

My acquaintance group is drawn almost entirely from MIT alum, which seems to have a high prevalence of aspies. A poll of the acquaintance group indicates that 4 of 13, or about 30%, are aspies. The number of children for those polled is as follows:

Aspies: 3, 2, 2, 0, mean = 1.75
Neurotypicals: 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, mean = 0.89

Yes, that is a limited group, and I'm not claiming that the difference is statistically significant. However, it does suggest that in a subculture with a reasonably balanced mix of aspies and neurotypicals, the productivity advantages of the aspies may come to bear.

Obviously similar results should not be expected in the general population, where aspies probably constitute only 2% of the population or so, and are thus laboring under considerably greater disadvantages. Still, it's not impossible that aspie traits could grow in subpopulations to a point where they would then become dominant in the overall population.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 3:04 am

Stage Three Thinking (no broomsticks required.)

Political example: Currently politicians use "special causes" as a means of gaining power. ( I so like being a special cause but there you go)

Example 1: A particular group/family self represent , approach an MP they get the resources they need to live more independent lives, laws get changed and there are more employment opportunities and more general human rights. This actually happens.The politician is seen as a worthy individual generally connected to a worthy humane cause. This costs money.

Example 2. A politician wishes to reduce the amount of taxation ,and targets the above for cuts .
He wants to do this because his friends earn a lot of money and would like to pay less tax. Tax is for ordinary people, they are superior and hence should not have to pay it. He also sees that pharmaceutical control is the way forward. It requires less tax and he and his friends can invest in a pharmaceutical company and make even more money

He has good links with the media , emphasizes scare stories that the system the first politician puts in place is not working . He demonizes ( that's sociological term not a witchy one) the client group , and reduces his argument to "if the system of care is not working there is no point is those not in the group paying for it- the money would be better off in your pockets."

You need to find an Example 1 politician not an Example 2.

The Example 1 politician is going to be OK . But he will be a bit stupid. If a two person unit composed of a high speed processer and a pattern-systems analyst go to make first contact with this minister you must make allowances. He will grasp what you want but not how to deliver it. He will need to see what infrastructure you require to support your requests and how to trace a route back to the Treasury to fund this. You must give them time and space to think .

He will have a number of competeing client groups and other issues. Currently you may have noticed one group of NT's are engaged in warfare with another group and this costs a lot money.
The weaknesses in their economic systems have just emerged again and they have had to generate another economic cycle. So they are a little short of cash. Do not let this put you off.

He is thinking "why should I help these rather strange sub-types. OK I get the political capital and it make me look good". You hint to him this rather strange sub type has a valuable contribution* to make. Do not mention Mind Bombs and Death Rays this will freak him out and you will end up in Guantanamo Bay with electrodes stuck to your head. (They do not share our humor in this respect.) His security advisers will already have advised him on our capabilities,
ie we have the potential to run the internet and can figure out how to develop AI , and one day use them as sandwich filling ( security people are paranoid like this and tend to err on side of caution. We are not actually going to ever use them as sandwich filling.)

The Processer paints the picture of a general set of requests, and gives the Minister time ( you pause when talking) to think he is visualizing it for himself. When he has a model in his head , the Pattern analyst then goes on to answer his next questions as to what infrastructural support is required. what it will cost etc. The procedure should take no more than an hour.

If you are really worried about the rise of very nasty political types who want to cull us. It would be also possible to have group of Inglorious Cognitive Memetic Basterds and once we have established first contact with the more benign political groups and established some kind of social and economic inclusion. The Ministers would probably turn a blind eye to this special interest.

Last edited by memesplice on 07 Mar 2010, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 4:10 am

Moog wrote:
Memesplice, you keep going on as if there's some historical case of holocaust against autistics. If there is something that resembles that, can you fill me in? Or, are you just projecting possibilities into the future?

Also, what on earth is 'stage three thinking'?

5,000,000 burned at the stake.

As later defined only second stage thinking, how to market your product, direct use of product is yet to come.

People were burned at the stake, and Tesla was the subject of a witch hunt, because thought can change the entire system. Electric lights made the whole whale oil lamp business, a standard of our industry and American way of life, a huge investment in ships, harpoons, and a source of jobs, vanish suddenly.

Our 0.03% of the vote is not going to count for much, but our majority at the Patent Office counts a lot.