Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm

Combing through old posts, I saw this thread and began wondering when the actual date for the new DSM V is to be implemented. I am also wondering how many of us will still adhere to our diagnosis of Asperger's after the term is removed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

ci wrote:
Well of course not because some day I will manage to tolerate those environments. But the proud of autism bit is sickening. Thats the fan club.

So should people with autism be ashamed they have it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:49 pm

Maxima wrote:
I'm a bit confused... In the DSM criteria for autism it says they have to have had a delay in speech; in the DSM for Asperger's it says they have no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years) does this mean that people who met the criteria for Asperger's before won't be diagnosed with anything now or are they going to change it so that asperger's fits?

No it means they probably won't base a diagnoses on one specific symptom....its a spectrum and I imagine a speech delay simply wont be a requirement for the autism spectrum, speech delay might put it in the more severe end though.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

glider18 wrote:
Combing through old posts, I saw this thread and began wondering when the actual date for the new DSM V is to be implemented. I am also wondering how many of us will still adhere to our diagnosis of Asperger's after the term is removed.

The DSM-5 will be released May 2013, this year is the final edits.

When the new term is implemented I'll be even more insistent to just use the word "autistic". I prefer that language anyways, and only use Asperger's because people care about knowing what my particular diagnosis is.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

ci wrote:
Maxima wrote:
I'm a bit confused... In the DSM criteria for autism it says they have to have had a delay in speech; in the DSM for Asperger's it says they have no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years) does this mean that people who met the criteria for Asperger's before won't be diagnosed with anything now or are they going to change it so that asperger's fits?

Very high functioning people will likely be dropped. Autism is a disability that causes major life problems. If you are very mild and want to tell the world what a gift it is that reduces our assistance then the ability to fit in is reducing (fan club). They are right Asperger's is not a disease it's simply a nerdy difference like others brag about. Those diagnosed with A.S before whom do well and are a bit socially off will simply fit a new category being created about social problems I heard of. Until a blood test of sort is developed for reasons of receiving services I think those with substantial life impairment will be given the ASD diagnoses and if you are not in need of help your autism symptoms no longer qualify.

I want behavioral research conducted with concern to integration therapy, sensory exposure conditioning and these kinds of services mandated. I would like executive dysfunction researched and mal-adaptive behavior researched as well. If you want it to just be a personality of an aspie which is quite like allot of people with strict interests (OCD) or general dedication no one is trying to take that away. But please leave me and others alone that need help and want improvements with your harassing malicious politics and mainstream abortion politics.

Thank You!

Damn what's with all the hate? so some people with autism don't feel their life goal should be to become neurotypical.....big deal, i don't think anyone here is trying to prevent you or anyone else from getting the help they need. But not all of us want a bunch of constant treatments forced on us if that's ok with you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:55 pm

ci wrote:
Obviously my initial post was not based on fact and was to incite reaction. Had you been treated very poorly over the past years, banned from groups for not being insulted, had your family politically attacked for advancing others opportunity (by aspies) and called as many names as I have been then you might see why I posted something like that.
Nathan Young

So having faced negative treatment in the past is an excuse to be nasty to anyone you disagree with?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Damn what's with all the hate? so some people with autism don't feel their life goal should be to become neurotypical.....big deal, i don't think anyone here is trying to prevent you or anyone else from getting the help they need. But not all of us want a bunch of constant treatments forced on us if that's ok with you.

Admitting we need help, and being irritated at people for arguing that we should be treated like its just a difference is not at all the same as life goal of becoming neurotypical.

I would not take any cure if it was available. I have no interest in ever being neurotypical. People who argue how Asperger's is only a difference and focus on the personality type however do undermine the challenges I deal with daily.

I am disabled. I'm tired of people saying that Asperger's is only a difference, because, no it is a disorder by definition, and a disability for many of us. Saying its only a difference might reassure you that you don't need to be "treated", but it prevents me from having the help I need - not help to become neurotypical, but help to better enjoy my life as an autistic adult and have a chance to do what I want to with my life.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Admitting we need help, and being irritated at people for arguing that we should be treated like its just a difference is not at all the same as life goal of becoming neurotypical.

I would not take any cure if it was available. I have no interest in ever being neurotypical. People who argue how Asperger's is only a difference and focus on the personality type however do undermine the challenges I deal with daily.

I am disabled. I'm tired of people saying that Asperger's is only a difference, because, no it is a disorder by definition, and a disability for many of us. Saying its only a difference might reassure you that you don't need to be "treated", but it prevents me from having the help I need - not help to become neurotypical, but help to better enjoy my life as an autistic adult and have a chance to do what I want to with my life.

I agree its not just a difference, it causes impairments for me as well...but I guess I just did not see where anyone was saying it's just a difference and does not cause any impairments. That said though I think it's important that society becomes more accepting of people with autism or other mental disorders so that maybe they aren't treated in ways that makes issues even worse for instance.

I personally just find a lot of professional help quite un-helpful...so as much as I struggle I feel better off without it. I mean what can they do give me SSRIs that make me psychotic, have me talk to a therapist that doesn't really understand...or worse have some worker who monitors my every move to supervise and make sure I act normally. I mean it seems like people with mental disorders are always expected to overcome it or at least suppress it while society doesn't have to budge when it comes to maybe accepting differences between people.