Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Then you are not even aware of the people with autism that support Autism Speaks specifically and the people with Autism that participate in it. Also likely not aware of the rhetoric in the first place that is factless that makes people believe things about research in general and the cure idea. I find it interesting to pick it apart and if videos are not your thing I have two primary point domains that will have only apolitical papers about the issues with reader based injection of thought so that they may evolve dynamically.

http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com (.org)
http://www.autismadvocacynetwork.com (.org)

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm

I just edited above because I got to get things to do rather than be on here right now. Actually, I don't like advocacy stuff anyway. I do what I do and that is fine with me. If I support them, that's my business. No...I am not that educated on that in your eyes. But I am happy and that is what matters to me. My job is not advocacy. In fact, it rather bores me. I also dislike politics. So not to be rude or anything, but I think it best I not discuss advocacy anymore since I am so uneducated on it. Thanks for your concern, but I am going to stick with happy things---things that don't cause anxiety. There are plenty of people here who would love to debate advocacy with you. But I am not that person. Again, thanks for your concern.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

That kind of makes sense but like with a vast majority that debate me the exit is quick.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 6:38 pm

ci wrote:
That kind of makes sense but like with a vast majority that debate me the exit is quick.

Quick Exit??? Yes, I am guilty of a quick exit due to having had things to do and mainly boredom. And that is the truth.

I agree that advocacy is important to me, but it isn't something that interests me much. It's like the anatomy of the human body. Sure, it's important because we want to stay healthy, but the study of anatomy I find boring. So yes, advocacy is important to me, but the in-depth discussion of it is boring to me.

Last edited by glider18 on 13 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

You are entitled to that interpretation but I am still challenging you to clarify. I am not forcing you to remove yourself or stay in this conversation.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

I will not clarify because that is my personal business.

The only reason I came in here today was to discuss with another member about a message I had sent via email.

Last edited by glider18 on 13 Mar 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

A defense mechanism in public debate which you have clearly said you don't want to advocate anymore. Typically if a person participates in public debate it would be wise to assure mutual understanding otherwise their side tends to falter as the refusal is suspect. You don't need to reply anymore.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 6:53 pm

I didn't come in here today to debate with you. I came in here today to discuss with another member about a message that I didn't think got answered when this member mentioned it elsewhere---which I later researched and found had got answered. I don't want to discuss with you because I find the topic incredibly boring. And that also explains why I had originally forgotten about the Cincinnati chapter to begin with. It's something I just don't think about. I self-advocate for myself---which is what I had told this other member. Then he mentioned the Ohio chapters. End of discussion.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

If you said that from the get go instead of bantered with me and your like for the Ohio ASAN which has been of the most publicly nasty self-advocates I would have understood. Yet to me anyone supporting Ohio ASAN and not speaking out against the bullying of compassion and the hate thereof should be suspect of supporting the anti-compassionate slogans and hate mongering. Ohio ASAN should be called out on the issue.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 6:59 pm

End of Discussion.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:59 pm

No. I get the last word. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Mar 2011, 4:15 pm

nostromo wrote:
ecoronin wrote:
Im going on a 3 month bicycle tour in two months. So I wanted to maybe use this trip as a fund-raising and advocacy for autism. So I contacted the much hated autism speaks. They sent me a bunch of fliers. In them there saying autism is a disease that must be cured. The way they write it almost sounds like cancer or aids... It is all geared tward the high autistic kids that cant barley speak. It really made me feel that aspies are on their own and this kind of wording doesn't exactly help us. I want people to know there is a problem but I don't want them to think I am diseased or something. What do you guys think.

That seems about right. I don't think Autism Speaks was ever really about Aspies at all, but about the serious problem of Autistic kids with major functioning problems.

And yet Autism Speaks refers to demographic data that includes everyone on the spectrum, but then represents autistic people as if they're defined by the minority you describe (a minority that needs services, obviously, I am not discounting that).

Autistic people all over the spectrum face serious problems of various kinds as well.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 4:18 pm

I think you folks need to talk to Autism Speaks and without asking for trouble from the get go. Be nice.