Page 3 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

WilsonFisk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 2:29 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
If it's any of your business, I am at work now... It's a hard life...

What do you do for a job? I'm curious because your job allows you so much time to post.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:58 pm

ghostgurl wrote:
If people want a cure, then they can have one if they want. However, I'm totally against the idea of having pre-natal tests for autism. Mothers aborting fetuses when they find out their child has autism disturbs me. How are we ever to take over the world if that happens?

But wouldn't a cure force us to stop taking over the world too?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:07 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
Paladin_Cecil wrote:
We don't need to be cured, that's the thing!

I do, kthx. Just like you don't want people speaking for you and saying all autism must be cured, I don't want other people speaking for "we" saying that I don't need cured.

Why? I'm just wondering, because I personally don't want to change myself, even with all the negative things I deal with because of AS. It's part of who I am, and the positive stuff makes up for all the stuff I've dealt with in my life.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

WilsonFisk wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

What do you do for a job? I'm curious because your job allows you so much time to post.

Maybe he goes on WP on his breaks? It's really not your business...

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:32 pm

Ebec11, Autism Speaks are changing some aspects of their policy slowly, in response to pressure. The thing is though, it was formed, in part, from an almagamation of organizations like Defeat Autism Now! with a thoroughly negative veiw on autism. [In some part understandable if you have an incontinent, non-verbal autistic child]

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:36 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Ebec11, Autism Speaks are changing some aspects of their policy slowly, in response to pressure. The thing is though, it was formed, in part, from an almagamation of organizations like Defeat Autism Now! with a thoroughly negative veiw on autism. [In some part understandable if you have an incontinent, non-verbal autistic child]

But isn't Defeat Autism Now! a cure website too?

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

I haven't checked recently, but I believe their site is still up and running. [I try to avoid those sort of sites they make me fume] Other cubie sites of interest are Generation Rescue and any of their erstwhile member, JohnBest's posts on the autism speaks forum or his infamous blog...

WilsonFisk

16 Feb 2008, 6:57 pm

ebec11 wrote:
WilsonFisk wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

It's a an honest question, but If one wants to be so secretive then be so. I'm just curious how so many people from here are spending so much time posting here there everywhere. I suspect maybe they are on benefits and use most of their time in front of a computer arguing about such things.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 7:36 pm

WilsonFisk wrote:
ebec11 wrote:
WilsonFisk wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

It's a an honest question, but If one wants to be so secretive then be so. I'm just curious how so many people from here are spending so much time posting here there everywhere. I suspect maybe they are on benefits and use most of their time in front of a computer arguing about such things.

and what is your idea of the alternative that 'so many people' should be doing, WilsonFisk?

Merle

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 7:49 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I just don't know anything about it, and people here keep on saying it's so bad. Could you explain what it's about to me?

The reason Autism Speaks is hated on this site is because a while back alex started this thread which was widely seen. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt26717.html

Ever since, the general consensus at this site is that Autism Speaks can go f**k themselves with pencil sharpeners and elemental salt.

ebec11 wrote:

That name is already taken? Then I guess if someone wants to make the counter-organization will have to name it f**k Autism Speaks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 7:50 pm

ebec11 wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

It is, and I hate them equally, as much. I have my reasons.

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 9:02 pm

Seriously, if you want a cure, then I don't care.

I don't want to be cured. But if you do, then fine.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 9:06 pm

It's a do-gooder site which profiteers from the Autism "scare" and disregards, even silences pro-Autism/Aspergers opinions. It's like the anti-thesis of WP.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 9:33 pm

The main reason I dislike Autism Speaks is that they choose not to listen to anyone on the spectrum. They could at least acknowledge what we have to say, even if they disagree with some of us.

Ravusvita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2008, 9:43 pm

I think it'd be fine if they come up with some sort of medication that could regulate bad behaviors and symptoms, and if you stopped taking it, you'd go back to normal.

Would be great to take before a party, gets things going, y'knowhatimsayin'?

WilsonFisk

16 Feb 2008, 9:57 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

and what is your idea of the alternative that 'so many people' should be doing, WilsonFisk?

Merle

If you haven't noticed there are many who post reguarly on these forums so I don't understand the need to use inverted commas when i said 'so many people'. And your question, without basis, presupposes that I am denigrating the lifestyle of highly active, state dependent forum users. I can appreciate how such folk can be sensitive to criticism given certain views about state leeches, but don't misinterpret my question/comments. I was simply asking a question because I am curious and if someone doesn't want to answer because it's none of my business then fine.