Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:56 pm

Dogtanian wrote:
It's not such a bad idea that was mentioned on the last page.

No point complaining that there is nothing out there already organised to support and help you.

If people need help and there is nothing these, then get it organised. Set something up where people can help each other out. I'm sure most people here need help with something and a significant number of people would be able to offer help too.

I think people actually just enjoy complaining. People on here will say they want friends, oh how they have no friends or oh there is nothing to do. But then if there is a ASD meeting in their town and they are invited they won't even bother showing up...even though they claim they want to meet other AS people. To a certain extent a lot of AS adults are beyond helping because of their own stubborness.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:00 pm

Didn't you know? Autistics don't grow up, we just stay little head banging kids or turn into teenagers that are potential sources of embarrassment for our parents. Just like those with MR, we're always "girls" and "boys" however many years old we are. :roll:

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:09 am

ManErg wrote:
I'm not an expert, but personal finance was one of my special interests for a time. The basic rules for finances are straightforward, the details complicated and ever changing.

High risk speculators may disagree, but for rest of us the basics are: 1) Get out of debt. Stay out of debt. Clear all debts apart from mortgage. (because interest you owe will ALWAYS be greater than interest you receive). 2) Then start saving as soon as possible even if it's only a little. There's a myriad ways to do this, from low to high risk.

It is also a personal interest of mine, saving money is the most important rule. When you get into an unexpected situation you can pay for things. I could use my savings to move to a new job, otherwise I could not have paid for the moving van!

Last year I was busy with my tax return, it got me a nice sum. But that takes time.
Now I am busy with my pension, trying to get part of it paid with taxes. That is a science in it self.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:13 am

sinsboldly wrote:
oh!
I was just hoping to get some advice about how to organize the bills I get for rent and utilities, etc. Buying a house is so far from my reality . . .

I arranged for all my utilities automatic payment, and I tried to get the date as close as possible to the pay day of my job. That way I know my monthly bills are always paid on time. I also have a rule to have at least the amount of my monthly payments on my bank account, even just before pay day.
So when the bank makes a mistake, there is still enough money.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:02 pm

Ticker wrote:
Dogtanian wrote:

No point complaining that there is nothing out there already organised to support and help you.

If people need help and there is nothing these, then get it organised. Set something up where people can help each other out. I'm sure most people here need help with something and a significant number of people would be able to offer help too.

I think people actually just enjoy complaining. People on here will say they want friends, oh how they have no friends or oh there is nothing to do. But then if there is a ASD meeting in their town and they are invited they won't even bother showing up...even though they claim they want to meet other AS people. To a certain extent a lot of AS adults are beyond helping because of their own stubborness.

That is not ture in all cases. I have been trying to find a meeting in my town for ages! I think I am comming close to finding one too. I don't drive but I will make it happen somehow. I dont really need friends but I do need to get out some.

some people complain because they have really hard lives I know I have. Talking about it helps.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

Ticker wrote:
Dogtanian wrote:

thank for the vote of confidence, there, Ticker. I will try to remember I am causing my inabilities to fit into day to day life because I am stubborn, just like my parents punished me for. I know I could do it all correctly if I just applied myself and have no one but my self to blame that I can't be normal just like everyone else.
Merle

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:14 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Ticker wrote:
Dogtanian wrote:

thank for the vote of confidence, there, Ticker. I will try to remember I am causing my inabilities to fit into day to day life because I am stubborn, just like my parents punished me for. I know I could do it all correctly if I just applied myself and have no one but my self to blame that I can't be normal just like everyone else.
Merle

You are totally not understanding what I posted Sinsboldly. I am not talking about "applying" yourself and that it would make you "normal" if you did. Where are you even coming up with that? I'm saying AS people claim they want help as in meetings or they say they want to meet other Aspies but when you offer this to them they refuse to show up. So then the person who bothered to plan the event just wasted their time. We gave up on adults-only AS meeting because no one would show up. It's funny that AS kids will show up, but AS adults won't show up even if their parents show up and they live in the same household.

Its just like they do have social services in my town to help AS people and I tell others when I see them, but do they ever take advantage of the services available? No, they just sit home and whine that there is no help yet the help is available. So it comes down to one thing some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about and if you tell them the thing they are complaining about not existing does really exist then they get mad at you because you have ruined their complaining. That really has nothing to do with AS; that is a comorbid mental disorder. Some people are not happy unless they can always play the role of the victim.

15 Dec 2008, 2:30 pm

Maybe they were just too busy to show up. I never showed up to the one here because it always took place on my work day on every second Sunday of the month. By the time I get off, it is nearly over and it might be over by the time I get there so I don't bother trying to make the last ten minutes of it. But I did discover another local one and it's up in Washington and it's on a Thursday every month I think the second one and it takes place in the evening.

PacerD
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2008, 5:02 pm

Dogtanian wrote:

I have run into this problem myself. I co-chair an Aspie support group in my area, and am having difficulties getting people to come. The group is for Aspies who seek the support of others with common values and experiences, and for NTs (friends, relatives, professionals, etc.) who want more information. Despite professed interest in the group, we usually get a handful of attendees - or less! Any suggestions?

"From now on, I'll connect the dots my own way."

- Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 7:02 pm

Perhaps no one knows its there?

I know there is a meeting in my town but I had to look for MONTHS to find it. And the website is so funny I still don't know where or when.

I agree some people love comlaining but that happens with NT's and aspies alike.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm

PacerD wrote:
Dogtanian wrote:

I have run into this problem myself. I co-chair an Aspie support group in my area, and am having difficulties getting people to come. The group is for Aspies who seek the support of others with common values and experiences, and for NTs (friends, relatives, professionals, etc.) who want more information. Despite professed interest in the group, we usually get a handful of attendees - or less! Any suggestions?

what do you DO at your meetings? I went to an Aspie meeting and we all sat around and stared over and around each other. The verbal ones rattled on and on and the non verbals sat and tried not to stare into the middle distance. (I MADE myself go, because besides the facillitatior I was the only other female that had ever showed up and I wanted to be there for her) I watched other AS and PDD-NOS folks cycle in and out because there was nothing in common for us but our Autism.

so what do you do at your meetings?

Merle

16 Dec 2008, 12:10 am

Here would be my idea; bring some board games and video games along and a TV. Bring puzzles, and of course DVDs and a DVD player and hook it up. Bring your laptop and DVDs so you can watch them at the gathering. Bring a book to read or your handheld gaming systems like the Nintendo DS or the PSP, that give us all something to do.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:17 am

no one cares about adult aspies
my parents think I will grow out of it and I will suffer along time because of it
no one ever helped me with it and there is nowhere I can go
to all of you anti cure people I say;

f**k you
[attempt to circumvent the filter removed by lau]

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:51 pm

Kilroy wrote:
my parents think I will grow out of it and I will suffer along time because of it

f**k you
[attempt to circumvent the filter removed by lau]

I emailed autisim speaks so perhaps they will write back. Who knows they may help somehow?

In the mean time try to calm down. People will always dissagree with you, don't let it get to you. :wink:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 5:21 pm

The National Autistic Society in the UK is the only place I can find publishing guidelines for adults.

I found a very comprehensive document on service needs for adults (really shows up what we're not getting), which can apply to many countries, and read through it today:

http://www.nas.org.uk/content/1/c4/39/26/takeresp.pdf

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 9:44 pm

Kilroy wrote:

oh, yeah, like the 'anti-cure' people are stopping a cure by being content with who we are! You just want someone to blame.

Merle