Page 4 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

pianorak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Do we really need to let this dicussion be dominated by copnspiracy theories?

There's a difference between conspiracy theories and conspiracies. The latter do happen, either on the side of the citizen, eg Guy Fawkes, or on the part of governments, eg the recent news about Gadafi, MI6 and the CIA.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

pianorak wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Do we really need to let this dicussion be dominated by copnspiracy theories?

There's a difference between conspiracy theories and conspiracies. The latter do happen, either on the side of the citizen, eg Guy Fawkes, or on the part of governments, eg the recent news about Gadafi, MI6 and the CIA.

you guys were talking about Princess Diana being murdered. That's a conspiracy theory. I wouldn't mind if people proved it but all I hear is that the guy who owns Harrods throws a wobbly whenever it is mentioned.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

pianorak wrote:

I agree with you that this must use huge resources, and run the risk of pushing people into the very activities it purports to discourage, but I think you underestimate the power of fear demonstrated by that scientist.

Sorry, I must be sleepy or something but I can't see where you are getting that from the article?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:10 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
pianorak wrote:

Read this article, "Beware the lone wolf radicals", from 'New Scientist', 4th September 2011, which demonstrates their attitude to people like us here on WP.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... icals.html

btw Asperger Syndrome is not a medical condition.

Sorry...I wasn't happy with the term myself but I couldn't think of a better one in context at the time (still can't actually), as long as you get the idea.

Technically when someone talks about a group of people with shared characteristics that are not shared by other people are not mental conditions and are genetic then they call it a race. Africans: A race. Caucasians: A race. Although it's up to you. The word 'race' has weird connotations all of its own.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

pianorak wrote:

Nonsense.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
pianorak wrote:

Nonsense.

Hey, whoah, whoah. No need to start jumping the gun people.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

Gedrene wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:
pianorak wrote:

Nonsense.

Hey, whoah, whoah. No need to start jumping the gun people. We don't need to start saying what is and what isn't nonsense.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

Gedrene wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:
pianorak wrote:

Nonsense.

Hey, whoah, whoah. No need to start jumping the gun people.

Ok, I'm confused.

In what way am I 'jumping the gun'.

How could someone reasonably argue that 'Asperger Syndrome is not a medical condition'?

Asperger's may not be called "Asperger's Syndrome" for long, but that merely changes the name, it doesn't change the number of people who are characterized by the current diagnostic criteria for the syndrome.

Is the condition currently known as "Asperger's Syndrome" a medical condition?

Yes.

If someone is suggesting that it is 'merely' one or more psychiatric conditions, it would still be a medical condition.

Please explain...

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

No, pianorak was right...I was uncomfortable with the term "medical condition" as I typed it...but, in that context I simply cannot think of a better term...

"Race" is preposterous, "subculture" is ridiculously inaccurate, "disability" is misleading..."mental illness" is downright offensive, "condition" sounds too general...

But it's not worth debating as long as what I meant is clear in context ...

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
No, pianorak was right...I was uncomfortable with the term "medical condition" as I typed it...but, in that context I simply cannot think of a better term...

"Race" is preposterous, "subculture" is ridiculously inaccurate, "disability" is misleading..."mental illness" is downright offensive, "condition" sounds too general...

Hmm...

I reacted to that statement out of context. Now I need to go back to figure out a context.

I understand the difficulty in choosing the right phrase to describe things, especially when you have to consider the audience and history that the phrases carry.

I may have jumped the gun. Will see.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

Thanks,

If you can think of a better way I could have put it please say on. :)

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 3:23 am

AlanTuring wrote:
Zeraeph wrote:

Hmm...

I reacted to that statement out of context. Now I need to go back to figure out a context.

I understand the difficulty in choosing the right phrase to describe things, especially when you have to consider the audience and history that the phrases carry.

I may have jumped the gun. Will see.

Okay, good. The last thing we need to disagree on is whether what we think we have is a medical condition.

Also is race proposterous? I can't seem to think of any problems. Large distinct population, heritable phenotyptic characteristics, genetic divergence. From my understanding we fit all three.

The only problems I think anyone would have is if they don't want a name (which isn't a good reason) or they don't like the word race (which is either just arbitrary nonsense or cowardly). Got a better word for me?

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 4:15 am

Gedrene wrote:
Also is race proposterous? I can't seem to think of any problems. Large distinct population, heritable phenotyptic characteristics, genetic divergence. From my understanding we fit all three.

But not all the rest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(clas ... _of_humans)

So, no matter how much you would like AS to be a race the idea is preposterous, and I think you will find the vast majority of humanity will agree.

Usually I would have begged the question and said "diagnosis" but as pianorak did state that it all predates diagnosis and that is a relevant factor that would be unnecessarily misleading, in this context.

Last edited by Zeraeph on 09 Sep 2011, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

Zeraeph wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

But not all the rest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(clas ... _of_humans)

Not the rest where? Can you actually spell out why race isn't a good word with an actual factor? Just telling me that there are reasons why is not an explanation.

Zeraeph wrote:
So, no matter how much you would like AS to be a race the idea is preposterous, and I think you will find the vast majority of humanity will agree.

Just because lots of people think something doesn't mean it's right. 50 million smokers can't be wrong! Argumentum ad Numeram. If you can actually produce a real reason that would be nice.

Zeraeph wrote:
Usually I would have begged the question and said "diagnosis" but as pianorak did state that it all predates diagnosis and that is a relevant factor that would be unnecessarily misleading, in this context.

I know, it is begging the question. Autism has a diagnosis. Diagnoses do not occur for race. Therefore we aren't a race. I tell you what question that brings up though: Why did you bring up diagnosis at all if you knew it was a logical fallacy?

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 5:26 am

Autism is not a race, the same way that a carrot is not a daisy.

If you are going to insist on being silly I will just ignore you. This is pianorak's thread, about a specific topic that causes him distress.

I refuse to enable you in hijacking it to argue for the sake of arguing just because you do not have another currently active thread to play with...and that is, frankly, all you are doing.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 5:53 am

Zeraeph wrote:
Autism is not a race, the same way that a carrot is not a daisy.

That metaphor doesn't mean anything, nor does it actually challenge what I said. Those are two random plants that are distinct: since Autism and race aren't in the same category of words your comparison means nothing.
Let's say metaphorically here are a set of races: Tobacco, Potato, Tomato, Chilli Pepper, Mandrake (They are all part of the family solanaceae). Then bam we are Sweet Peppers! Can you actually prove why this is not the case?

Gedrene wrote:
Also is race proposterous? I can't seem to think of any problems. Large distinct population, heritable phenotyptic characteristics, genetic divergence. From my understanding we fit all three

Now can you actually challenge me on these grounds? Saying that it is 'just silly' isn't an explanation. Saying there are 'lots of reasons' isn't an explanation.

Zeraeph wrote:
"Race" is preposterous

I told you to qualify why that is.
pianorak wrote:

I offered an alternate word. The closest thing you have come to a reason is saying that it is 'preposterous', which isn't a reason.
Zeraeph wrote:
If you are going to insist on being silly I will just ignore you.
I refuse to enable you in hijacking it to argue for the sake of arguing just because you do not have another currently active thread to play with...and that is, frankly, all you are doing.

Making ad-hominem arguments about my personality doesn't change the fact that what I said was relevant. And if it wasn't then you shouldn't have called the word race 'preposterous' and not debated on other explanations either.

Accusing me of things you can't prove only makes you sound intolerant, and doesn't change the veracity of the ideas of us as a race.
Now can you actually find a reason for why the word race is 'proposterous'?

Summary of your reasons:
-Us as a race sounds 'preposterous' [Argument from incredulity]
-I am just trying to hijack an argument [Ad hominem]
-Most of Humanity would call us as a race preposterous [Argumentum ad Numerum] (not actually Numeram, made a spelling mistake)
-Autism is not a race in the way that a carrot is not a daisy [Illogical metaphors]
-There are 'lots of reasons' (but not all the rest you said) [Reporting proof isn't proof]

Do you really want me to quote from that article to show you how you are wrong?

Last edited by Gedrene on 09 Sep 2011, 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.