Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 6:52 am

DVCal wrote:
Ok I was under the impression she didn't state it like some previous thought she had, but a mater of fact at that moment. That when she said it, she still wanted to drive off a bridge with her daughter, and it was only her son that prevented her. That it was something she still wanted to do.

Guess I was mistaken.

She was later interviewed and expressed regret that she did not more fully indicate in the video documentary that it was a very "irrational thought" at the time she made it. A fleeting irrational thought momentary in duration.

It is one of those things, where if people do have those type of irrational thoughts, they usually don't share with the rest of the world, later in life, in a video documentary. She breaks the mold there.

It could have warranted crisis intervention if she had made it known to others at the time she she was experiencing that type of homicidal/suicidal ideation.

She is a very "interesting" individual, to say the least. The comment she made, I addressed on page one of this thread about the Slate Magazine article on Neurodiversity, was every bit as unusual to me. It did not appear she did her homework about what she was speaking about, in that moment.

I did not expect that from an individual, now heading up their own research organization.

She lost support from at least one organization of funding, in what is described as a "Neurodiversity Community", for that comment in the Slate Magazine Article.

And as stated earlier in this thread, considering she has a brother and a child on the spectrum, chances are good she herself may be on the broader autism phenotype, potentially closer in than some others to that border that makes a spectrum.

If I remember correctly, she takes care of her brother, additionally to the rest of he family, so she apparently is overall a compassionate person when it comes to family. I do not see her as a flawed human, just different like everyone else.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 2:36 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
stickboy26 wrote:
Well I'm glad at least a couple of people got a laugh before this turned into an evolving Wikipedia article.......

I was just admiring the lovely snake. I didn't read very much of it.

Thanks lol. There are actually 4 snakes in that cluster. :D

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 2:44 pm

Cornflake wrote:
stickboy26 wrote:
You know, this unfolding novel is nice and all, but I really posted under the assumption that this was all understood and that the fact that the majority of us hate AS (as well as the reasons for which) had become a given by now. I don't know, maybe some people need this venting still, but I really think all this factual discussion really is beating a dead horse. That's why I didn't find it necessary to put anything of serious nature in my original post.

Simply put, some of the reactions here actually puzzle me.

Perhaps you're puzzled because your initial assumption is incorrect, and based on outdated or debunked information? Just a thought. :wink:
What you posted was a typical "Two Minutes Hate" (cf. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell) and serves about as much purpose.
I guess people respond by posting factual information and discussing that because it's more informative and educational than baying at the moon.

Actually I was thinking simply more along the lines of maybe having exercised a sense of humor that is not shared by many others here. It's certainly plausible. I mean I find it better to make sarcastic jokes than complain about that which cannot be fixed. And it cannot be helped that others will take it too seriously. If you don't believe that, just pull up any would-be comedic video on youtube, and check out the comments.

-sigh- Oh well. I hereby surrender this thread. Do with it what you will.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 5:18 am

stickboy26 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
stickboy26 wrote:
You know, this unfolding novel is nice and all, but I really posted under the assumption that this was all understood and that the fact that the majority of us hate AS (as well as the reasons for which) had become a given by now. I don't know, maybe some people need this venting still, but I really think all this factual discussion really is beating a dead horse. That's why I didn't find it necessary to put anything of serious nature in my original post.

Simply put, some of the reactions here actually puzzle me.

Perhaps you're puzzled because your initial assumption is incorrect, and based on outdated or debunked information? Just a thought. :wink:
What you posted was a typical "Two Minutes Hate" (cf. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell) and serves about as much purpose.
I guess people respond by posting factual information and discussing that because it's more informative and educational than baying at the moon.

Actually I was thinking simply more along the lines of maybe having exercised a sense of humor that is not shared by many others here. It's certainly plausible. I mean I find it better to make sarcastic jokes than complain about that which cannot be fixed. And it cannot be helped that others will take it too seriously. If you don't believe that, just pull up any would-be comedic video on youtube, and check out the comments.

-sigh- Oh well. I hereby surrender this thread. Do with it what you will.

Quote:
Giving money to AS on behalf of autistics is like giving money to the KKK on behalf of minorities.

I personally don't see a problem with personally disliking the organization, and expressing that in a joke, although it's a waste of time to protest against it, which it seems you agree with in your statement quoted above.

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=12667&bhcp=1

However, the KKK analogy you made is not warranted by the facts that currently exist.

In the video linked above, in the recent Inter-agency Autism Coordinating committee the organization was praised by both families of people on the spectrum and those in the described neurodiversity movement for being the only organization funding specific needed research to help adults on the spectrum and funding an incredibly valuable new innovative therapy to help children to speak, that is not an ABA type therapy.

It is a new year, a new day, and the organization is no longer hated like it was before, not even by some individuals that expressed great hatred for the organization in the past.

They have a distinct advantage.

They understand what the organization is really doing now. Your dislike here of the organization was also positive in that it provided additional people an opportunity to come to that understanding, as well.

That is the good thing about differences of opinion, they most often provide an opportunity to learn something new.

Some enjoy a joke, others share an empathy of anger, others respond back with wit, and others look to learn something new.

All you were looking for was a laugh, and you got four times back the response you were looking for. That sound like a bargain to me.

On top of that it was 4 cool snakes, for some who enjoy nature. :)

I liked the snakes too and can look past the pejorative phrase of dislike.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick