Page 7 of 20 [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 9:27 am

Odin wrote:
Teoka wrote:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
-Epicurus

That is one of my favorite quotes.

Yeah, that's a good quote, but what do YOU think?

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

Well I can bust this myth I have aserpergers and I am a atheist and cant stand when some try to force their the spirtual belifes on to others.I belive that if god does exist is this his idea of a sick joke to play on us .For example I cant stand the 700 club I find that thos pentecostals and our current mis guided dumby of president has proof of my theroy that I am staunchly belive in god because of the wealth and great life god bestowed upon me. If I wanna use stem cells let me use stem cells just you belive it inmoral well good for you,then don't use them but dont ruin it for us scientific atheists.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2008, 2:38 pm

I'm neither religious nor atheist. There is a possibility that there is a god, or even several gods. But while I have nothing against religion in general, I can't see how I could possibly decide on one. Christianity or Islam or Buddhism or science or whatever, none of them strikes me as more believable than the other. I at least have never heard a logical argument why one god would be superior to another.

So I don't really believe in anything. I don't know what I am. I'm sure there is some word for it though

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 7:55 pm

Tormod wrote:
I'm neither religious nor atheist. There is a possibility that there is a god, or even several gods. But while I have nothing against religion in general, I can't see how I could possibly decide on one. Christianity or Islam or Buddhism or science or whatever, none of them strikes me as more believable than the other. I at least have never heard a logical argument why one god would be superior to another.

So I don't really believe in anything. I don't know what I am. I'm sure there is some word for it though

You have a good point we need more people that think like that in power because I dont hate religion I just prefer those that guide themselves with logic and not superstition because religion should never enter politics because they together in the middle ages and that didn't work out so well it held up western european progress for centuries and fueled their treatment of Natives Americans and the Aborignals. Both of which are a proud noble people and far from savages.

Fred54
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 7:43 am

Tormod wrote:
I'm neither religious nor atheist. There is a possibility that there is a god, or even several gods.

So you are an Agnostic :D

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2008, 3:59 pm

queerpuppy wrote:
AS being caused by basic neurology rather than chemical imbalance does not mean "god" made it, it just means it's hard-wired into the brain!

And no, all AS people are not religious. I am an atheist.

Robin

Same here.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

Agnostic seems to fit me. I think someone told me that before too. Though I feel I'm agnostic about more than only gods.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:19 pm

I was raised Episcopalian. I disagreed with it for reasons too numerous and complicated to explain.

I researched other religions and found that paganism seemed most consistent with my views. But I couldn't find any pagans that I got along with at all. Then I realized I was too much of an eccentric loner to participate in any kind of organized religion.

After pondering religion and spirituality for another year or two, I decided I did not agree with the idea the existence of one or more deities. I found great beauty in the natural world and had no desire to turn to the supernatural for hope, inspiration, clarification, etc.

However, as of late, spirituality has thrust itself into my life. I have recently had to confront numerous challenging circumstances. These experiences have led to experiences that were very spiritual in nature. Too complicated to explain here. I'll just say that I am once again looking for a good way to explore this spirituality, maybe even with one or more other people. I still consider myself an atheist, though. (IMO, one can have spirituality without believing in a deity.)

I don't think that any of this has anything to do with my opinions on ASD-related issues.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:37 pm

Maybe it's the social aspect of religion that challenges you here. Maybe it's not a purely ideological concern. I get the impression that if you could get along more easily with others, you might not be so picky about A, B, or C religion. Best of luck with finding what's right for you.

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 9:24 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
However, as of late, spirituality has thrust itself into my life. I have recently had to confront numerous challenging circumstances. These experiences have led to experiences that were very spiritual in nature. Too complicated to explain here. I'll just say that I am once again looking for a good way to explore this spirituality, maybe even with one or more other people. I still consider myself an atheist, though. (IMO, one can have spirituality without believing in a deity.)

Have you ever considered Taoism?

It's a philosophy that is very nature based and filled with wisdom and respects the Earth and your body and soul. It might be helpful for you I know it helped me.
http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phal ... te-v3.html

Last edited by Pixel8 on 09 Apr 2008, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:52 pm

Pixel8 wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:

Have you ever considered Taoism? It's a philosophy that is very nature based and filled with wisdom and respects the earth

Yes, but then I am forced to defend it to its many critics. Years ago, when I was reading the Tao Te Ching, people would see it and tell me that Taoism was created by one or more political leaders in order to make their subjects more passive and obedient. I never did the research to find out if this is a known fact or a myth or a matter of opinion. Having to hear it over and over was off-putting enough.

I like Taoism, but I'm really not sure that organized religion is for me at all. I like keeping my spirituality to myself and talking about it only with a few people who I trust not to pass judgment. There are numerous reasons for this; it's not just a matter or avoiding debates on an (at least partially) irrational subject. I also enjoy creating my own beliefs and letting them change and develop naturally - traditional belief systems are limiting in this regard.

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 10:07 pm

I guess Taoism gets confused with Confuciousism, its an easy mistake to make. Confusious was pretty legalistic and into his hierarchy. China is still reeling.
Taoism isn't "the" answer but it's a sound philosophy if taken with an open mind

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:16 am

Pixel8 wrote:
I guess Taoism gets confused with Confuciousism, its an easy mistake to make. Confusious was pretty legalistic and into his hierarchy. China is still reeling.
Taoism isn't "the" answer but it's a sound philosophy if taken with an open mind

Interesting.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Apr 2008, 7:30 pm

I've never found a religion that makes sense but I do believe that the life & the Universes is so complex that somethings out there. To think it was all just an accident is an easier cop out. People that think that why are no better than the people that say God works in mysterious ways as an answer to everything.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 8:39 pm

Here is a problem that is plagueing the united states the evengelical christans or pentecostals led by people like billy graham and pat robertson and many others are slowly vying for control the united states fedral government and people all of which are republicans like george bush are allowing them since bush plants people with similar ideals in the supream court where they make decisions based on their ideals. I dont have a problem with people beliveing in god but when you force your belifes on others by trying to merge religion with poltics which is a violtion of sepration of church in state and that makes this country no better than one of those middle eastern countries that have instituted islamic law. They are preventing progress by not allowing government funding of stem cell research. If you dont belive in stem cell reasearch well fine don't use them, but don't stop us from using them. Sorry for going off topic but I felt this had to be let known.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:53 pm

Maxrebo wrote:
Here is a problem that is plagueing the united states the evengelical christans or pentecostals led by people like billy graham and pat robertson and many others are slowly vying for control the united states fedral government and people all of which are republicans like george bush are allowing them since bush plants people with similar ideals in the supream court where they make decisions based on their ideals. I dont have a problem with people beliveing in god but when you force your belifes on others by trying to merge religion with poltics which is a violtion of sepration of church in state and that makes this country no better than one of those middle eastern countries that have instituted islamic law. They are preventing progress by not allowing government funding of stem cell research. If you dont belive in stem cell reasearch well fine don't use them, but don't stop us from using them. Sorry for going off topic but I felt this had to be let known.

Well-spoken, max. Well-spoken.