morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 1:00 am

MartyMoose wrote:
morning_after wrote:
MartyMoose wrote:
Who is Jenna McCarthy?

She is the wife of Jim Carey. She has a kid on the spectrum, but claims he recovered. She is known for being an autism activist, but is rather nasty and definately pro-cure.

You're describing Jenny, I asked about Jenna.

hahaha ok

But I could have sworn I saw her name spelled like that.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2008, 10:51 am

morning_after wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
Hmmmm, better yet... ask her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgoub7b4cs

Is it me, or does this come off sounding a little like the people that used to try to cure people of black skin? Or, better yet, homosexuality? underneath it all is the assumption that we will just comply because we should.

The thing is, though, I spent many years learning how to respect who I am in life as I am in life. I feel God himself made me this way for a purpose and that accepting a cure from anyone else would be like throwing most of my life away.

The only motive I would have anymore would be that other people don't always like me for who I am, and I don't have to answer to that part anyway.

It does come off like that. I think that is what bristles me everytime I hear her talk. It's like the hell-bent on salvation Christians who think that homosexuality is curable, like you can take your sexuality off like a dirty shirt.

Frankly, a lot of who I am is because I'm Aspie, I wouldn't want to take that off. I couldn't be me without it.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 4:15 pm

I feel much the same way, pepper.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2008, 6:01 pm

:?

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 7:49 pm

Oh sure,what I was saying was that I can't stand the those who are intorerlant because of someones race,religion,ethnic background,gender,sexual preference and now whether or not some has autism or aspergers. I am afraid that in the future that you would go to a resturant and I would have to leave because it was a no aspies establishment. Is it just me but do you think its becoming a trend to say your kid as a form of autism and using bizare methods to try fix them like a diet but thats not gonna fix a brain problem. Its the modern age version of snake oil. I hope this helps ungarble my old post.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:56 pm

Maxrebo wrote:
Oh sure,what I was saying was that I can't stand the those who are intorerlant because of someones race,religion,ethnic background,gender,sexual preference and now whether or not some has autism or aspergers. I am afraid that in the future that you would go to a resturant and I would have to leave because it was a no aspies establishment. Is it just me but do you think its becoming a trend to say your kid as a form of autism and using bizare methods to try fix them like a diet but thats not gonna fix a brain problem. Its the modern age version of snake oil. I hope this helps ungarble my old post.

Thank you.

I think Autism is what ADD was about ten years ago. ADD was supposed to be an epidemic that needed to be stopped and it seemed like everyone was afraid their child was ADD.

I think a lot of it will pass.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:08 pm

TLPG wrote:
JohnnyCarcinogen wrote:
morning_after wrote:
She was convinced that vaccines caused autism, saying that the CDC could eat their words when they said otherwise.

She was supposed to be talking about that, but I felt she was intolerant of anyone who didn't believe what she did. Among other things she said that her child died when he developed autism.

Is it me, or does this woman come off as rude and disrespectful? I also wondered if she could secretly be convinced she was responsible for her child's autism.

Seriously, I wanted to yell at her.

Jenny McCarthy is to autism what KFC is to chicken.

Tangent: Ohhhh I don't agree with that analogy. I love KFC!

On topic: I'm hearing that a lot of parents wanted to yell at the b***h, Morning. Jenny McCarthy is being nominated for Idiot of the Month on my website Wiki.

Sorry - I didn't mean to bag on KFC.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:23 pm

morning_after wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:

Thank you.

I think Autism is what ADD was about ten years ago. ADD was supposed to be an epidemic that needed to be stopped and it seemed like everyone was afraid their child was ADD.

I have Aspergers and ADHD

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2008, 12:45 pm

Yes! I have ADD too, and my son has moderate to severe ADHD. So, I had to listen to the lecturing on ADD on usenet, not to mention the flaming wars, and the talk shows with people saying it's all in the lifestyle, diet, etc. Rush Limbaugh once stated "There's no such thing as ADD" and I think that's rather damaging, because that means a number of parents everywhere may very well slap their kids harder and say, "Hear that? No such thing! You're just lazy!"
Then it turned into the autism discussion, flame wars, etc. and the same noises were made about diet, and other environmental triggers, only that's just a splinter off the main log.
Some people are convinced that everyone is wired the same, and if they do the same things they do, and did, then they will be like them, too.
And they call ACs self absorbed.. hmm. :?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 6:31 pm

morning_after wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:

Thank you.

I too think a lot of it will pass... maybe ... only not if those of us who have a voice don't say something. Of that eventuality, I am not convinced.

The number of kids being given ritalin although they are NOT ADD is sad.

It's stuff like that which scares me. Not for me, but for all those kids who will be diagnosed as aspies but who don't NEED chelation therapies and GFCF diets.

you know?

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm

MartyMoose wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:

Thank you.

I have Aspergers and ADHD

And I[m not doubting that you do, but I remember when ADD was as popular a diagnosis as Autism is now and people were just as scared of it.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:17 pm

Tetraquartz wrote:
Yes! I have ADD too, and my son has moderate to severe ADHD. So, I had to listen to the lecturing on ADD on usenet, not to mention the flaming wars, and the talk shows with people saying it's all in the lifestyle, diet, etc. Rush Limbaugh once stated "There's no such thing as ADD" and I think that's rather damaging, because that means a number of parents everywhere may very well slap their kids harder and say, "Hear that? No such thing! You're just lazy!"
Then it turned into the autism discussion, flame wars, etc. and the same noises were made about diet, and other environmental triggers, only that's just a splinter off the main log.
Some people are convinced that everyone is wired the same, and if they do the same things they do, and did, then they will be like them, too.
And they call ACs self absorbed.. hmm. :?

I've had people like that tell me that if I had enough faith in Jesus, he would heal me of Asperger's.

Now how do you heal someone of what is just a different way of thinking and interacting with the world? I wonder if they were shocked when it turned out that I didn't really want it. I don't think I spent much time with them after that.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm

Pepperfire wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:

Thank you.

I too think a lot of it will pass... maybe ... only not if those of us who have a voice don't say something. Of that eventuality, I am not convinced.

It's stuff like that which scares me. Not for me, but for all those kids who will be diagnosed as aspies but who don't NEED chelation therapies and GFCF diets.

you know?

How would you describe chelation therapies?

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

morning_after wrote:
I've had people like that tell me that if I had enough faith in Jesus, he would heal me of Asperger's.

I don't understand why you keep referring to Christian issues, here. Shouldn't that be in religious-philosophical discussion section?

Quote:
Now how do you heal someone of what is just a different way of thinking and interacting with the world? I wonder if they were shocked when it turned out that I didn't really want it. I don't think I spent much time with them after that.

Who was shocked? :?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2008, 4:55 pm

morning_after wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
morning_after wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:

Thank you.

you know?

How would you describe chelation therapies?

I would describe them as overkill, not to mention exceedingly dangerous UNLESS the patient was actually diagnosed with heavy metal poisoning.

To tell you the truth, aside from administering a treatment to someone to remove heavy metals from their system I wouldn't go there, I don't know much more than that, other than the fact that some people seem to think that it's a valid treatment to give to autistics and that people have died from it.

Do I have a misunderstanding of it that I'm not aware of??

Gremlin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2008, 7:50 am

morning_after wrote:
She was convinced that vaccines caused autism, saying that the CDC could eat their words when they said otherwise.

Erm...my parents went through a phase with christianscience and I wasn't vaccinated. Can we pretend there's some other stupid cause, like fluoridated water? I've had fluoridated water. Have you? There you go. Enact Plan R. For the children.

As much as I dig the first amendment, I sometimes wonder whether I'd really mind an intellectually based Licence to Speak.