Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

maleb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2010, 2:16 pm

Changes Proposed

Anyone see this? Curious of how those who have been bouncing around the medical community for a while feels about the changes. And if they'll matter match.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:57 pm

I kind of like it though I have some questions about the knew criteria

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 3:21 pm

This is the comment I submitted:

Quote:
This proposal is ridiculous and unscientific. As Simon Baron Cohen has pointed out, It has yet to be determined whether Asperger Syndrome and Kanner's Autism share all the same genetic markers, and may be found ultimately to be different disorders with shared characteristics.

To remove Asperger's Disorder from the DSM would be premature, and references to AS as 'mild' autism do a disservice to those whose level of function may seem high on the surface, but whose social acclimation is yet debilitating enough to require access to support and social services. Many diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, if viewed as so 'mildly' Autistic as to warrant no classification beyond 'mild' could lose access to public assistance and become homeless and/or be driven to suicide.

I have other relatives diagnosed with AS, yet there is no history whatsoever of classic Autism in our family, which leads me to believe the two disorders are not necessarily identical in either symptoms nor causes.

Having been unable to maintain steady employment for over 35 years, I now find myself in my 50s clinging to that Asperger Syndrome designation as my only lifeline. For you to now remove that and leave me with nothing more than the innocuous label of 'mild' is no different than putting a bullet in my skull.

Mind your own business and stop trying to pose as though you have all the answers already. The research does not support the changes you are proposing and may ultimately prove you quite wrong. Perhaps you should wait a bit and save yourselves some academic embarrassment.

BrooxBroox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2010, 5:36 pm

Don't kill me for ths guys, but I think the "new criteria" is far too vague. I believe that with this kind of criteria, autism rates will sky-rocket more than they already have. And also, I can see where the new criteria would qualify some people, who previously met did not meet criteria for Autistic Disorder, AS, or even PDD-NOS could suddenly be labeled "autistic". That's not to say that the DSM-IV shouldn't be revised... just from a "professional-in-training" standpoint I don't think it's going to work to well. And It's going to start controversy. There's already enough Aspie vs. Autie controversy going on as there is. Putting both under the same exact category might not be so wise.... don't know really. Guess it's something I'll actually have to see happen before I know how it will truly work.

AutismMerch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2010, 3:10 am

I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make. While diagnostic criteria is important, clinicians who are experienced in a particular area tend to reply on their own clinical experience over diagnostic criteria anyway.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 4:41 am

Willard wrote:
Quote:
This proposal is ridiculous and unscientific. As Simon Baron Cohen has pointed out, It has yet to be determined whether Asperger Syndrome and Kanner's Autism share all the same genetic markers, and may be found ultimately to be different disorders with shared characteristics.

I have to say that is not a logical objection.

It has never been determined that Kanner's Autism shares all the same genetic markers (within the group), nor that Asperger's Syndrome shares all the same genetic markers (within the group). The diagnostic categories have nothing to do with genetic markers.