Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ci
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm

Some people have talked about black and white thinking in autism politics. At first I was thinking this had to do with racial comparisons. Now I am thinking I cannot determine this as the terminology seems to also be connotative of a personality disorder. Can anyone explain what black and white thinking is in context to autism political matters?

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:50 am

Is that political matters from an autistic perspective or political matters involving autism?

On the first . . . politics is already an either/or spectrum for most people and involves pushing ideas and figures into good/bad boxes based on only a partial assessment of their views.

Regarding the second . . . autism is a "trigger word" for many people. It has a negative, fear-inducing connotation . . . and the reaction is the same as the above statement. People view autistics in boxes that are good/bad.

georgewbush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2011, 12:53 am

Black and white can mean taking extreme views or being less likely to compromise.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 1:07 am

Interesting..

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

SundayStorms
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2011, 4:51 am

Generally "black and white thinking" is referring thinking with extremes. The phrase is often used to imply that the person with said thinking patterns has no middle ground (gray), and therefore only thinks in black and white. They see things as one way or another. Two options and nothing else. Sometimes this is just used to mean oversimplified.

Oh the random things I learn from English class...

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 4:55 am

Haa. Someone accused me of thinking in the black and white. I use the extremes as examples to find a middle ground. Now that I understand I object to my being black and white even though I am white and from what I know I have no black family from the past but there is a theory that we were all black at one point and folks like me got to be white by spending to much time in the shade. I'm a hermit I can understand this theory well.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:18 am

if black and white thinking is defined by extreme veiw points than thats the bigest problem in politics.there is no middle ground and the people in the middle are not represented.its either millitant pro cure or millitant anti cure.autism speaks is surely misguided but when you hear people on this site calling them nazi's thats extreme thinking.i think most people at autism speaks are just desperate but i wouldnt call them nazi's.the asan is veiwed as a elitest organization who only speaks for the most sucessful members of the autistic community.to a certain extent thats true because they are educated sucessfull people.so these are the people they understand the best,so naturaly they have a bias.i dont think this is intentional and i believe they sincerly try to advocate for everyone

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:30 am

Where I live far more people know about my project then ASAN or Autism Speaks. It is likely in the local developmental disability field the professionals know me more then the two organization. Most of the time people with disabilities do not speak up. They are submissive, get lolled around and don't know a damn thing about their rights. ASAN has little influence here and the folks that know about Autism Speaks that I know seem to like me as well. This macro political sphere in the autism community I've found easy to penetrate and find support. I think the middle ground is common but people get attention by being extreme. Can the middle be extreme at first to rationalize the extremes? Yes for sure.

For ASAN it's not good for raising money without the adversity around every corner. For them to get along with Autism Speaks would be a fiscal nightmare. The money thing is a conflict of interest. They have an investment in thinking autism is this label folks should identify from and take things personally. Autism Speaks has an investment into seeing the autism has horrible.

Follow the money and tact. Love just is not profitable unless your a hippie selling some organic crap. Even as fertilizer as I've seen liquid worm pooh in a 20oz bottle go for $15.00.