Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dwoolridge
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2011, 12:13 am

What does everyone think of the new DSM and Autistic Spectrum Disorders?

I think they Aspergers should not be by its self it just makes things more complicated. Aspergers it just the milder verson. but me i am just High function autism so it will be weaird where do i fit in when they split them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 12:52 am

Everyone who fits the criteria will be autistic.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:25 am

Another fan club entry criteria. I'll never read the new criteria just like I didn't read the old one. I can only hope some of the higher functioning trouble makers get the boot that claim bigotry against them while there snobby butts attend college while they get the snooty pooh of how they are oppressed. This club is reserved and I don't even need to sign up for a new membership.

The media called me autistic once then I educated them with my real name. A group of autism fans at a fundraiser said hey look he's autistic. I didnt have the plight for the middle finger. Instead I talked to the organizer about my actually not being a label but a person.

I am glad something is being changed because this autism idea is very boring as it is.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 1:43 am

What does "fan club entry criteria" mean? I don't quite get what you're going for.

Which autism idea is boring?

I doubt people will lose their diagnoses when the DSM-V comes out. It'll likely mostly apply to people who are diagnosed after the fact.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:53 am

Verdandi wrote:
What does "fan club entry criteria" mean? I don't quite get what you're going for.

Which autism idea is boring?

I doubt people will lose their diagnoses when the DSM-V comes out. It'll likely mostly apply to people who are diagnosed after the fact.

The fan club is autism as an identity. Others assume that because I was diagnosed for something so I can have the help I need I somehow have to be referred to as it. The fan club also at times protests saying they are not puzzles and how they are stigmatized yet call themselves the stigma and maliciously interpret puzzle as being plastered on there foreheads. People just wanted to help but somehow it's all discrimination as usual and by the way I have to feel the same or I am a curebee.

Autism is boring because the autism community is dysfunctional at times and the label is just a label. I am already diagnosed with Autism and I do not need it again. I've heard about autism and me since young. However I am online here to see about advocacy but there is to much dysfunction with insult politics and power control trips. I find the so called normal people more helpful.

Blah.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:01 am

Okay, I understand now. Thank you.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:27 am

Verdandi wrote:

Well I've understood for some time the complete and total self-absorbed selfishness of some advocates that are all about a label they have and not those that need help. They call truth pity so that they feel good about themselves and this label they are a fan of as if it's a sports team to have pride about. Oh I know about it all and I do not forget about the distractors of the needed changes. I asked them for help in advocacy when I could not get to the grocery store, doctors and was isolated for years but they made an autism pride day and just said I had something else and not just autism. Fact I don't have anything else but autism and I'm sorry that conflicts with the pride self-images.

Have fun with your DSM fan clubs.

The so called "normal" N.T oppressors have helped allot more then the "aspie pride" people.

Nathan Young

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 12:45 pm

ci wrote:
Another fan club entry criteria. I'll never read the new criteria just like I didn't read the old one. I can only hope some of the higher functioning trouble makers get the boot that claim bigotry against them while there snobby butts attend college while they get the snooty pooh of how they are oppressed. This club is reserved and I don't even need to sign up for a new membership.

The media called me autistic once then I educated them with my real name. A group of autism fans at a fundraiser said hey look he's autistic. I didnt have the plight for the middle finger. Instead I talked to the organizer about my actually not being a label but a person.

I am glad something is being changed because this autism idea is very boring as it is.

The DSM is not a "fan club". It's there to help people get the support they need. Also, just because someone is high functioning and managed to get through college/university does not mean they don't need support in some areas as well.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:57 pm

Well of course not because some day I will manage to tolerate those environments. But the proud of autism bit is sickening. Thats the fan club.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:11 pm

ci wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Well I've understood for some time the complete and total self-absorbed selfishness of some advocates that are all about a label they have and not those that need help. They call truth pity so that they feel good about themselves and this label they are a fan of as if it's a sports team to have pride about. Oh I know about it all and I do not forget about the distractors of the needed changes. I asked them for help in advocacy when I could not get to the grocery store, doctors and was isolated for years but they made an autism pride day and just said I had something else and not just autism. Fact I don't have anything else but autism and I'm sorry that conflicts with the pride self-images.

Have fun with your DSM fan clubs.

The so called "normal" N.T oppressors have helped allot more then the "aspie pride" people.

Nathan Young

Well all that certainly sucks, and I can't understand not advocating for support for everyone who needs it (and helping them get it whenever possible), or saying that "it's more than just autism so we don't care." I certainly have a better understanding of why you criticize self-advocacy so much, but I wonder if this defines all Aspie self-advocates?

I don't see how the DSM connects to this, especially as a "fan club." The diagnostic criteria is somewhat misleading in certain ways and thus a bit confusing (hence the DSM-V revision and consolidation of PDDs into one "autistic" diagnosis). I'm not trying to argue here, I don't know where you're coming from.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

I think the point of what I am saying is there is to much dispute, pride arrogance and relating distractions that allot that could have been done has not been done. 7 years ago I had a plan for emergency social service advocacy by self-advocates if any one of us were in trouble we all emailed, phoned and otherwise so that they could get help. It was not liked and people it seemed that claimed to be self-advocates just wanted to talk about how they were being discriminated against for negative views for autism.

I am part of the Regional Center now so have everything I need. People with mild autism are not accepted but that is the new insult for not being accepted. Some of you advocates are strange animals. First it was insult over negativity and now not seeing it as a disability.

You confusing folk.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:45 pm

ci wrote:
I think the point of what I am saying is there is to much dispute, pride arrogance and relating distractions that allot that could have been done has not been done. 7 years ago I had a plan for emergency social service advocacy by self-advocates if any one of us were in trouble we all emailed, phoned and otherwise so that they could get help. It was not liked and people it seemed that claimed to be self-advocates just wanted to talk about how they were being discriminated against for negative views for autism.

That sounds like an excellent idea to me, especially for people who otherwise lack support networks.

I can understand the appeal of talking about discrimination and negative views - they are frustrating to deal with. But of course practical matters are important.

Quote:
I am part of the Regional Center now so have everything I need. People with mild autism are not accepted but that is the new insult for not being accepted. Some of you advocates are strange animals. First it was insult over negativity and now not seeing it as a disability.

You confusing folk.

A lot of people assumed to have mild autism may have more need for support than is apparent. Their autism may not be mild at all, but simply be judged that way because they were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

Please don't lump me in with people you have argued with in the past. While I may agree with them in particular matters, I probably do not have the same priorities or opinions, and may very well disagree on salient points.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

The problem is these movements were popular in the past but have changed a bit. All the confrontation between groups over words was a distraction. Who cares if autism is technically in logical terms a disease it's not like any professional is saying to your face by the way your a disease. With as much passion it takes being insulted more productive and positive things can be done.

I didn't lump you up I wrote in context to the past. It's meant as a warning in advocacy. Should the pride-mites effect quality of life advocacy and attack organizations whose purpose it is to help people like me and in the name of discrimination I and others will speak against them for our own protection. Some advocates need an attitude adjustment, bit more wisdom and be less self-centered.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:05 pm

Your use of "you" confused me.

Thank you for clarification, again.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:15 pm

My understanding is that people that currently have a ASD diagnosis will get the new diagnosis label once the new DSM is approved with no additional testing requirement.
So it is not likely that anyone with a current diagnoses will get "booted".

Once the new DSM gets approved it could be harder to get a new diagnoses for some people, but it is hard to say until the final version is approved.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:39 pm

aghogday wrote:
My understanding is that people that currently have a ASD diagnosis will get the new diagnosis label once the new DSM is approved with no additional testing requirement.
So it is not likely that anyone with a current diagnoses will get "booted".

Once the new DSM gets approved it could be harder to get a new diagnoses for some people, but it is hard to say until the final version is approved.

You know I was being a provocateur to make a point. If someone disagreed with me typically I'd be called a troll and banned.I don't often chat online this is the only site.