Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:10 am

That's how I feel about them. :lol:

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:26 am

when i hear the autism community criticize autism speaks, it sounds like the tea party criticizing mainstream republicans.

i agree with the controversy, but when i see where it comes from, it loses credibility.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:52 am

stickboy26 wrote:
Too subtle?
:P :P :P
language a bit on the strong side but whatever.

autism speaks would likely prefere to chop them off to stop you from procreating as part of there eugenics program

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2013, 8:15 am

Quote:
language a bit on the strong side but whatever.

Puns > language. :P

Last edited by stickboy26 on 03 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 8:47 am

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about Autism Speaks nor what the "controversy" is about it. Can someone please explain? Aren't they an advocacy group or something?

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 9:26 am

Never mind the above. I just Googled "Autism Speaks controversy" and found my answer!

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 9:30 am

minervx wrote:
when i hear the autism community criticize autism speaks, it sounds like the tea party criticizing mainstream republicans.

i agree with the controversy, but when i see where it comes from, it loses credibility.

My biggest issue with Autism Speaks are two,

1. The lack of Autistic people in high leadership positions.

2. The continued funding to the tune of millions of dollars per year to Anti-Vaccine research, clinging to the idea that vaccines cause Autism.

FYI I am not one of these rabid Anti-Cure Autistics, many Autistics support finding a cure, not only for them self, but for others who are more profoundly affected.

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

minervx wrote:

Why shouldn't we criticize them, when they make no effort to accept us as we are? Giving money to AS on behalf of autistics is like giving money to the KKK on behalf of minorities.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

DVCal wrote:
minervx wrote:

My biggest issue with Autism Speaks are two,

1. The lack of Autistic people in high leadership positions.

2. The continued funding to the tune of millions of dollars per year to Anti-Vaccine research, clinging to the idea that vaccines cause Autism.

FYI I am not one of these rabid Anti-Cure Autistics, many Autistics support finding a cure, not only for them self, but for others who are more profoundly affected.

Autism speaks does not fund any "Anti-Vaccine Research". The organization is a publicly pro-vaccine organization to the dismay of a substantial number of supporters, as well as other anti-vaccine organizations and websites such as "Age of Autism".

The organization funds a limited amount of research to the potential that some rare subgroups on the spectrum may be more vulnerable to side effects of vaccines.

One individual on the spectrum is on the Science advisory committee Board, and has contributed significantly to the organization's direction in research. This individual is often described as a "token autistic" by some "self-advocacy", elements, minimized for his value to the organization, instead as a valued contributing person on the spectrum.

No one, currently, has been able to offer valid criticism of the organization, except for two reasonably offensive videos, that were released several years ago, no longer available through the Autism Speaks organization in response to offense, but still often used as weapon back against the organization, in plain view for others to continue to be offended by the videos that otherwise would be lost in history.

At this point in time, the criticism of the organization is much more offensive than anything the organization has done in the past in miss-steps in it's Public Service announcements.

The organization is moving on with a powerful message of hope, while some others are staying in the past in an element of contempt.

Rather than go into further details. Most every myth about the organization is solidly refuted at this link here:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt213857.html

Some of the same myths continue to be promoted about the organization as we speak today in the video linked below, along with the creepy music, this time played while people are engaging in a volunteer effort to help others. It is kind of ironic. The creepy videos are in the past, they no longer exist anywhere but places like this link.

Not everyone on the spectrum lives the type of privilege obvious in those speaking in the video. It is part of why no one organization can meet the needs of everyone on the spectrum.

All of the organizations have valid missions and purposes, but there is only one organization, actually evidenced as fighting against others attempting to help others. That evidence is clear, and unashamedly promoted in the video linked below.

It is both sad and ironic to me as we are in a month of awareness and acceptance, that this type of contempt is promoted against people that are actually helping others on the spectrum, by those suggesting they are on a spectrum.

It is only in effect, in larger society, a negative reflection back at people on the spectrum, which is the saddest part of all, if one really hopes for acceptance.

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content/wa ... -landon-it

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 9:13 pm

They are not publicly pro vaccine, and they continue to fund millions a year to research against vaccines, this is the reason why multiple people have left the organization.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

DVCal wrote:
They are not publicly pro vaccine, and they continue to fund millions a year to research against vaccines, this is the reason why multiple people have left the organization.

Unfortunately, that is one of the myths that continue about the organization.

Multiple individuals left the organization because the organization continued limited research associated with conditions of people on the spectrum, like immune system issues, that might make a relatively rare group of individuals vulnerable to the side effects of vaccines.

This is public information, readily available and easily accessible on the organization's website, per specific research grants, and policy as quoted below regarding Autism Speaks public policy on the health benefits of vaccines.

The organization is continuously criticized for not spending enough money on vaccine research, by some of its supporters and organizations that actually believe such things as mercury based preservatives, that have long since been removed from most vaccines, are the definitive causal factor of ASD's.

Autism Speaks is a science based/business principle run organization, not one that bends to the will of emotional based concerns, that do not warrant dollars of concern.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/pol ... and-autism

Quote:
Science
Information About Vaccines and Autism

Many studies have been conducted to determine if a link exists between vaccination and increased prevalence of autism, with particular attention to the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and those containing thimerosal. These studies have not found a link between vaccines and autism.

We strongly encourage parents to have their children vaccinated, because this will protect them against serious diseases.

It remains possible that, in rare cases, immunization might trigger the onset of autism symptoms in a child with an underlying medical or genetic condition. Autism Speaks is funding studies on the underlying biology of autism, including studies to better understand medical and genetic conditions that are associated with autism.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm

That doesn't change the fact that they still spend millions a year on research trying to associate vaccines with Autism, when their is no evidence for their being any connection. If you ask the people who left they will all it is because of Autism Speaks funding of junk science, because that is what it is.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:07 am

As linked below high fevers and seizures, which in rare cases are associated with brain damage, are reported publicly by the CDC in 1 out 3000 individuals that receive vaccinations. This is already a recognized cost/benefit of vaccination where benefit outweighs cost. The cost is very real in rare cases.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/do ... is-mmr.pdf

It is not junk science to suggest that some people on the spectrum may be more vulnerable than others to these type of side effects because of potential associated genetic disorder or disease, including existing well known associations such as epilepsy, mitochondrial dysfunction, and auto-immune/inflammatory disorders.

It is a potential rare associated factor, where one could suggest that those children that fall ill after vaccinations, in rare incidences, are not as important as the over-riding majority that don't. Science says find the answers, leave no stone unturned. That is also within an equation of compassion for human suffering.

In an article by Nature magazine linked and quoted below, specific to Allison Singer's criticism of Autism Speaks, the funding reported was 2% of 18 million ( about 360K) toward vaccine related research, in 2010, per IAAC research funding report link below, but it was not research directed at Vaccines as a causal factor of Autism.

http://iacc.hhs.gov/portfolio-analysis/ ... ml#figure2

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/111102/ ... 9028a.html

Quote:
The ASF is still dwarfed by the size and reach of other organizations supporting autism research. The Simons Foundation does not fund vaccine research, but Autism Speaks spends about 2% of its budget — nearly twice as much as the ASF spent on all research this year — on studies that are relevant to vaccines, says Geri Dawson, chief science officer for Autism Speaks and a professor of psychiatry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "We are not funding any studies that directly address whether vaccines cause autism," says Dawson. "The evidence strongly suggests that there is not a link between autism and vaccines. What we are trying to understand through our research funding is the role of the immune system in autism, which certainly could be relevant to the question of vaccines."

For instance, Dawson says, Autism Speaks is funding studies investigating the idea that disorders in the cellular powerhouses, mitochondria, might influence responses to immune challenges such as infection and immunization. "We are willing to leave the door open for the possibility of rare cases in which an immunization may have triggered the onset of autism symptoms due to an underlying medical or genetic condition."

Since that time Alison Singer has been critical of the Neurodiversity Movement, very recently, in suggesting the movement has successfully implemented an "agenda" of removing essential dollars of research away from the needs of "lower functioning children" on the spectrum toward adults on the spectrum.

Factually speaking, the percentage of that money was 1 percent per the latest IACC Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee report in 2010, so her statement has no source of facts to back it up, as the actual funding is still below the goals set forth by the IACC from 2006, when the "Combating Autism Act" was initially passed as law in the US, and the IACC came in to existence, as part of that overall government effort.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... aks.2.html

Quote:
On a political level, “neurodiversity advocates have definitely succeeded in implementing their agenda,” says Alison Singer, founder of Autism Science Foundation and a member of the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee. “You can see it in the strategic plan [of IACC]—there are more studies focused on higher-functioning adults and the services they need, such as finding employment. But because we’re reallocating money, not increasing the budget, that means shifting funds away from the needs of lower-functioning children, who need treatments, for example, to help them control self-injurious behaviors.”

It also worth noting that she was also the individual in the infamous video that started all this "I hate Autism Speaks" rhetoric over her rather callous sounding matter of fact statement, with her daughter close by, that she once had an irrational thought of driving off a bridge, over stress of finding her daughter help. Only later did she recognize that she should have clarified that it was a very irrational thought, at the time she, matter of fact, expressed it in the video.

At times she does not appear to have much concern for those impacted unlike herself. Perhaps it is not intentional, but it is what it is.

Considering the fact that she has a sibling and a child on the spectrum, it would not be unusual at all, if she herself was somewhere on the broader autism phenotype. She sets off my Autdar, if there is such a thing. As do some of the current Autism Speaks executives who also have relatives on the spectrum, including the founder. However, only a potential broader autism phenotype, not autistic traits that rise to the level of actual defined and diagnosed disorder.

There is an upcoming presentation by Christopher Gillberg, designer of the Gillberg Criteria for Asperger's Syndrome, in the International Meeting of Autism research, IMFAR, where he will make a case that it is the related disorders and conditions, such as epilepsy, tuberous sclerosis, communication disorders such as non-verbal learning disorder, and many other conditions that make autistic traits, that are common in the population, anywhere from 10 to 30%, per research that exists, an actual diagnosed disorder, with potential negative outcomes in life, in many cases of what is currently diagnosed as ASD.

If this is correct, Autism Speaks funding Grants for research are even more valuable to those actually diagnosed or those in the future that may be diagnosed with a disorder, as the research funded pursues these related conditions, some of which are assessed in almost everyone on the spectrum, with an actual diagnosis.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

Sure, but what about prenatal testing? Yes, I'm aware that they say:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt134955.html
"Ultimately, the goal of a definitive prenatal test, if achievable, would be to have gestational intervention to correct or temper any developmental abnormalities. "

but they know very well what the more likely result would be, and obviously are not disturbed by it.