Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2016, 3:29 am

What would the idea of non-neurotypicals(not just aspies) having their own country be called?

Would this be counted as aspie separatism?

What do you think of a country with only non-neurotypicals in it?

How can it be achieved?

How will it function?

Is it a good idea?

Throughout history neurotypical society has at best look down on non-neurotypicals and at worst imprisoned non-neurotypicals in asylums and killed non-neurotypicals. Perhaps non-neurotypicals do not fit into neurotypical society. But can non-neurotypicals even create a country or society to be safe from neurotypical society?

I do not hate neurotypicals but there are many things I do not like about neurotypical society.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 6:01 am

TBH? Too many different expressions of non neurotypical to function as one body. I can't see it or even imagine it.

Successful (for long run over 100 years) small country needs to be homogeneous in culture (tho most of us do function will within rigid rules that use our strengths), have a large middle class, not have too many resources to tempt imperialists but enough to support population/have as trade. Needs to have controllable borders and decent military ability (or allied with a military nation)

How would we deal with typical children born to us that won't fit in? Will there be enough of us that socially function to take of the elderly? the ill?
How on earth to tailor education, specially kids with co-morbid behavioral problems that will become natural bullies in primary school. and still see to the needs of the typicals that WILL be born among us.

A University enclave of high functioning could be a think tank of science and innovation, maybe, but a whole country?
(which would likely need to be an island).

How would we respond to disasters or huge crisis as a population?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 6:14 am

This general topic is already being covered: viewtopic.php?t=308047

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 10:22 am

I kinda want to see this happen out if intellectual curiosity rather than actually thinking it would be a good idea.

gingerpickles wrote:
TBH? Too many different expressions of non neurotypical to function as one body. I can't see it or even imagine it.

All successful communities display some degree neurodiversity, it just doesn't work if everyone has the same skill set and desires.

Quote:
Successful (for long run over 100 years) small country needs to be homogeneous in culture (tho most of us do function will within rigid rules that use our strengths), have a large middle class, not have too many resources to tempt imperialists but enough to support population/have as trade. Needs to have controllable borders and decent military ability (or allied with a military nation)

The global economy has vastly changed. The most reasonable option would probably to buy land and form a community initially within a larger country (so no need for military), and later declare independence incr a distinct culture forms. Natural resources aren't needed if skilled labor can be utilized in such a way that the services or fruits of the services can exported, the Internet makes this much easier.

Quote:
How would we deal with typical children born to us that won't fit in? Will there be enough of us that socially function to take of the elderly? the ill?

Typical children will fit in better here than autistic children would elsewhere. It's bee shown that neurotypicals adopt autistic traits when they socialize intensively with autistic people. The only real problem is if the "neurotypical" descendants later threaten to take over the country, so the society needs to be structured to prevent them from having such an advantage. Also, it really doesn't take many social skills to care for people, the most important ones are patience and compassion, which are not ones autistic people lack. Though it's not actually important to care for the elderly when it comes to just keeping a country afloat, they don't provide as much.

Quote:
How on earth to tailor education, specially kids with co-morbid behavioral problems that will become natural bullies in primary school. and still see to the needs of the typicals that WILL be born among us.

We could tailor education better to autistic people better than what's going on here, that's for sure. The co-morbids that actually lead to bullying are generally genetic, have nothing to do with autism, and could be prevented just by not allowing people with those traits to immigrate, we don't want them anyway. If anything autistic people are less inclined to bully. Most of the co-morbid "bullying" is actually aggression to do stress; take the stressor away, and the aggression is gone. Finally, it's entirely possible to ensure "neurotypical" a WON'T be born if the society consists solely of certain genotypes. Typical is NOT the natural state of being or most average possible, it's just how things ended up mutating to by chance and is then maintained through a stable system.

Quote:
A University enclave of high functioning could be a think tank of science and innovation, maybe, but a whole country?
(which would likely need to be an island).

Autistic people are good at doing far more than science and innovation. Arguably autistic people are more neurodiverse than neurotypicals are.

Quote:
How would we respond to disasters or huge crisis as a population?

The same way all the other counties do it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2016, 4:58 am

Ganondox wrote:
The global economy has vastly changed. The most reasonable option would probably to buy land and form a community initially within a larger country (so no need for military), and later declare independence incr a distinct culture forms. Natural resources aren't needed if skilled labor can be utilized in such a way that the services or fruits of the services can exported, the Internet makes this much easier.

The moment you declare independence with your “bought land” with the intention of actually forming a separate country the neurotypical police/military will try to arrest you. A country with just non-neurotypicals will need a strong military because neurotypical governments will think non-neurotypicals are trying to “steal their land” when non-neurotypicals try to form their own country. Even if there is no war with neurotypicals there will be neurotypical spies and agents from different countries trying to spy and/or sabotage the country of non-neurotypicals.

What non-neurotypicals could do is buy land, form a self defence militia or a private security company and then declare independence when the non-neurotypicals get a powerful enough military.

The land also needs to be developed and big because there are a lot of non-neurotypicals who would want refuge from neurotypicals.

Ganondox wrote:
Typical children will fit in better here than autistic children would elsewhere. It's bee shown that neurotypicals adopt autistic traits when they socialize intensively with autistic people. The only real problem is if the "neurotypical" descendants later threaten to take over the country, so the society needs to be structured to prevent them from having such an advantage. Also, it really doesn't take many social skills to care for people, the most important ones are patience and compassion, which are not ones autistic people lack. Though it's not actually important to care for the elderly when it comes to just keeping a country afloat, they don't provide as much.

Marriage and having families is the behavior of neurotypicals. Instead to sustain the population of non-neurotypicals the non-neurotypicals should rely on non-neurotypical immigrants seeking refuge. The non-neurotypical country should be like a country of refuge for non-neurotypicals.

There of course should be restriction if the population becomes too high like allowing only non-neurotypical with needed skills or making non-neurotypical immigrants serve in the military/police/other government organization for a number of years before they can become citizens which is a good idea since the country you bought land from and declared independence for will want “their land” back.

Ganondox wrote:
We could tailor education better to autistic people better than what's going on here, that's for sure. The co-morbids that actually lead to bullying are generally genetic, have nothing to do with autism, and could be prevented just by not allowing people with those traits to immigrate, we don't want them anyway. If anything autistic people are less inclined to bully. Most of the co-morbid "bullying" is actually aggression to do stress; take the stressor away, and the aggression is gone. Finally, it's entirely possible to ensure "neurotypical" a WON'T be born if the society consists solely of certain genotypes. Typical is NOT the natural state of being or most average possible, it's just how things ended up mutating to by chance and is then maintained through a stable system.

Since the non-neurotypical should be a country of refuge where the population is sustained by non-neurotypicals seeking refuge higher education institutes like universities and trade schools will be mostly needed. A small amount of schools will be needed though.

Ganondox wrote:
The same way all the other counties do it.

And how will a non-neurotypical country respond to a huge crisis like an invasion by the country(and their allies) the non-neurotypicals declared independence from?

Ganondox wrote:
I kinda want to see this happen out if intellectual curiosity rather than actually thinking it would be a good idea.

This will probably never happen. Not in our life time anyway. Most if not all land in this world are owned by governments, corporations or are restricted by treaties and agreements. I do however wish that a country where non-neurotypicals can seek refuge in will happen even if I believe it will never happen.

There also might be the question of the morality of "stealing" land from neurotypicals.

Well according to the most neurotypicals we should all just live under the neurotypical society and just let neurotypicals look down on non-neurotypicals, send non-neurotypicals to mental asylum, develop prenatal testing to keep non-neurotypical numbers down, bully us, torment us etc.........

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 1:51 am

The idea that marriage and family is a neurotypical behavior is absolutely absurd, and the expectation that the country should only be based on refugees defeats the entire purpose of such a society in the first place. I have no interest in that idea.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:21 am

This topic has been covered many times before, but I'll throw in my usual Cr0.02 ...

What would the idea of non-neurotypicals(not just aspies) having their own country be called? Autististan.

Would this be counted as aspie separatism? It would more likely be discounted as a fool's errand.

What do you think of a country with only non-neurotypicals in it? No different than what we have now, except for more whining and less achievement.

How can it be achieved? It can't. The citizens would be too busy complaining to ever accomplish anything worthwhile.

How will it function? It wouldn't (See previous answer).

Is it a good idea? If it would finally silence those people who believe that neuro-diverse individuals are the next step in human evolution, then the answer would be 'Yes'.

... can non-neurotypicals even create a country or society to be safe from neurotypical society? When it seems that most of us can't get jobs, maintain relationships, or live independently, then the answer is an obvious and resounding 'No'.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

And the psychopaths as leaders? how's that different? :mrgreen:

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 10:06 am

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:
What would the idea of non-neurotypicals(not just aspies) having their own country be called?

How can it be achieved?

How will it function?

Is it a good idea?

Throughout history neurotypical society has at best look down on non-neurotypicals and at worst imprisoned non-neurotypicals in asylums and killed non-neurotypicals. Perhaps non-neurotypicals do not fit into neurotypical society. But can non-neurotypicals even create a country or society to be safe from neurotypical society?

I do not hate neurotypicals but there are many things I do not like about neurotypical society.

Discussion of a country is very premature. The creation of cultural resources and Communities will contribute greatly to the answers you seek.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 10:35 am

Fnord's answer is awesome. Seriously, right on point! 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:

How can it be achieved?

How will it function?

Is it a good idea?

Discussion of a country is very premature. The creation of cultural resources and Communities will contribute greatly to the answers you seek.

It seems most autistics do not even want that

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

It seems most autistics do not even want that

Then they don't need to participate. If they change their minds, feel free to crack open a Stim Soda and join the party. I'll respond directly to your last post in that thread.

If we build it, they shall come.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 2:18 pm

> Is it a good idea?

Yes, as long as I get to be King. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2016, 2:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
This topic has been covered many times before, but I'll throw in my usual Cr0.02

The truth is both cruel and funny.

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2016, 3:17 am

Fnord wrote:

How will it function? It wouldn't (See previous answer).

... can non-neurotypicals even create a country or society to be safe from neurotypical society? When it seems that most of us can't get jobs, maintain relationships, or live independently, then the answer is an obvious and resounding 'No'.

Are you saying most non-neurotypicals(not just aspies) can't get a job or live independently?

AgentPalpatine wrote:

Will independence eventually be a goal?

traven wrote:
And the psychopaths as leaders? how's that different? :mrgreen:

A lot of psychopaths can control themselves. I am not sure but I think an aspie savant ruler would be a good ruler.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:18 am

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:
I think an aspie savant ruler would be a good ruler.

I accept your endorsement. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!