(hope this is the appropriate forum)

http://themighty.com/2015/06/to-the-fam ... th-autism/

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 9:56 pm

I can see how this is a problem for some families. I did not agree with it for my family though, and the article seems to be trying to apply this to all families whose extended family isn't involved?

Personally, I would never expect my children's extended family to take them anywhere ever. My kids are too much for their extended family to handle. I can handle them - just- but you have to be physically fit to handle my kids in public. You have to be able to run and lift 100-pound child off the ground while he is screaming and throwing a fit. I don't even think half of them could physically handle my kids. Not to mention that it's difficult to have people staring at you and judging you and wondering what the hell is wrong with you guys all the time. I don't think they could mentally handle it either. They would be able to if they got used to it, but it's not their job to get used to it and they don't want to. That's their problem, not mine. I guess I'd like it if they would, but that's so I can get a break- not so my kids can be happy. My kids are fine without their extended family. In fact, they're probably better off without them because they are mostly very closed-minded...

Luckily for my kids, both of them are autistic, so they don't watch their siblings go off with family members. I can definitely see how that would be hard for them if they were, but that doesn't change the fact that they are too difficult for their family to take in public. That's just my kids though. I can definitely see how for some families this is more of a problem and more "unfair".

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2015, 10:23 am

I am so glad that this never happened to me, honestly. Probably helps that I spent a lot of time with my extended family when I was little, at least on my dad's side, so they do know that I can be a pleasure to be around and can even be helpful when I need to be. My mom's family, not so much.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 2:01 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I can see how this is a problem for some families. I did not agree with it for my family though, and the article seems to be trying to apply this to all families whose extended family isn't involved?

Personally, I would never expect my children's extended family to take them anywhere ever. My kids are too much for their extended family to handle. I can handle them - just- but you have to be physically fit to handle my kids in public. You have to be able to run and lift 100-pound child off the ground while he is screaming and throwing a fit. I don't even think half of them could physically handle my kids. Not to mention that it's difficult to have people staring at you and judging you and wondering what the hell is wrong with you guys all the time. I don't think they could mentally handle it either. They would be able to if they got used to it, but it's not their job to get used to it and they don't want to. That's their problem, not mine. I guess I'd like it if they would, but that's so I can get a break- not so my kids can be happy. My kids are fine without their extended family. In fact, they're probably better off without them because they are mostly very closed-minded...

Luckily for my kids, both of them are autistic, so they don't watch their siblings go off with family members. I can definitely see how that would be hard for them if they were, but that doesn't change the fact that they are too difficult for their family to take in public. That's just my kids though. I can definitely see how for some families this is more of a problem and more "unfair".

Not autism related but my husband is disabled so twice we have rented him a wheelchair when we went to the zoo and to the Milwaukee Public Museum. At the zoo, I was pushing him because his hands had blisters from the day before from pushing himself around so I was pushing him to spare his hands and it was tough pushing him up hills and stuff because he weighs around 250 lbs. It made me realize how hard work it can be to care for someone who is disabled in a wheelchair and who can't wheel themselves. My husband helped me out by wheeling himself as I pushed so that made it easier. it just gave me more respect for caregivers who take care of disabled people in wheelchairs and I said to my husband 'I wonder how care givers do this if the person in the wheelchair is unable to help you" and he said 'they build up muscle."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 5:29 pm

Can't really say. My extended family was never really involved in anyone's life. My grandparents would take my cousins bowling and only invited me along once because I had a free pass from my school. My cousins tended to gang up on me and bully me...but everyone believed I started it.