Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 11:48 pm

Would Pro Choice (Cure is legal) be left or right wing?
Would Pro Acceptance (Cure is illegal) be left or right wing?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2018, 12:00 am

It's not about left or right. The eugenicists came from all political persuasions. It wasn't about politics of the party kind, it was about the "tyranny of normal", for the most part, the idea that people who were not like the largest normative and most dominant group were of little human value.

The curebie branch of this in the present day have the same mindset of superiority, the same goal of eradication. Anti vaxxers for example are not particularly affiliated to any single political tribe. It's autism they hate, and their obsession with vaccines would transfer to something else quite readily if some more convenient "cause" to blame became easily available to them.

https://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/cou ... k/CH2.html

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 12:45 pm

not left or right, but both.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2018, 7:34 am

There is no right answer (no pun intended)
It depends on circumstances and self-interests
If the right-wing, the more self-interested wing, sees potential in Autism for their own gains (workforce), then it would certainly co-operate in helping the issue out

DocteurDEVO7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2018, 4:26 pm

I think curing it would be right wing, and accepting would be left.
I'm not looking to argue or debate so please don't lash out at me but this is why I feel that way. Most of the people I know who are anti-vaccinations because they think there is a link to autism are right wing. Personally I interpret that as we dislike autism so much we would risk spreading deadly diseases to prevent it. I know this is a touchy subject and I hope I didn't offend anyone. This is just how I feel.

giveen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2018, 4:50 pm

I would say curing, right wing, left wing would want to eliminate it with abortions if it was detectable in the womb.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 4:55 pm

Like the posters above me, I think curing it would be right wing, and accepting the person and also allow abortion of any (including autistic) fetuses would be left.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 5:49 pm

Why do you think it would be right wing to cure it and left wing to accept it?

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2018, 8:46 pm

I think the technical answer would be accepting it would be right wing and curing it would be left-wing. This is because the definition of left wing is people who want to progress or change and the definition of right wing is people who want to stay the same or regress and go back to an earlier point. A cure would be a change and no cure (which would leave you with acceptance) is staying the same.

I also think that in this country (the States) the people who are more left of center are much more accepting of autistic people than those on the right. The definition does not fit.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2018, 4:57 am

Caseymom wrote:
I think the technical answer would be accepting it would be right wing and curing it would be left-wing. This is because the definition of left wing is people who want to progress or change and the definition of right wing is people who want to stay the same or regress and go back to an earlier point. A cure would be a change and no cure (which would leave you with acceptance) is staying the same.

I also think that in this country (the States) the people who are more left of center are much more accepting of autistic people than those on the right. The definition does not fit.

Hmm... interesting topic to discuss. From what I know, right-wings are more self-centered into self-accomplishments and rewards, while left-wings consider the masses and their diverse issues

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2018, 7:02 am

Pillar wrote:
Caseymom wrote:

Hmm... interesting topic to discuss. From what I know, right-wings are more self-centered into self-accomplishments and rewards, while left-wings consider the masses and their diverse issues

I agree completely. That was just something I learned in a political science class years ago and I always view arguments this way and then determine what's actually happening. It has become more difficult to determine who belongs where based on philosophy, in recent years.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2018, 4:44 pm

Caseymom wrote:
Pillar wrote:
Caseymom wrote:

I agree completely. That was just something I learned in a political science class years ago and I always view arguments this way and then determine what's actually happening. It has become more difficult to determine who belongs where based on philosophy, in recent years.

What do you mean by "based on philosophy"?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 8:39 pm

Saying that *only* right-wing people are self-interested or any way non-altruist as if it were a generality, is getting too close to putting in boxes right now.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 3:03 pm

"Left" and "right" are such outdated and irrelevant categories...

Quote:
There's no longer any left or right. There's the system and the enemies of the system.
— Eduard Limonov

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2018, 6:15 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
"Left" and "right" are such outdated and irrelevant categories...

Quote:
There's no longer any left or right. There's the system and the enemies of the system.
— Eduard Limonov

Incidentally , for those whom don't know , and might be interested , Eduard Limonov helped found the National Bolshevik Party. As to the topic of general political opinion regarding autism , and neurodiversity more broadly , it is my impression that aside from certain cults , such as most notably Move , whom believe that vaccines are the cause of autism , and also some " social justice warriors" , whom want to bring up my Asperger Syndrome to use against me , and then cite Kruger-Dunning , in response to my disagreeing in any way to any of their opinions , I have found that my fellows on the left side of the political spectrum seem to be more so affirming over all . I suspect that a number of social conservative culture warriors want to believe that , just like those whom are LGBT , we can and should be changed through conversion therapy . From what I have read , in Neurotribes , by Steve Silberman , the same man whom later went on to target gays and trans people , in association with Focus on the Family , first got his start dealing with those with autism . So this is my personal impression , although I don't want to come across as painting with a broad brush .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 6:44 pm

Is aspirin right wing, or left wing? Is an appendectomy right wing or left wing?

Medical remedies don't have political ideologies.

Except....yes,one could imagine hypotheticals where a cure could be one or the other.

If it were proven that say...air pollution caused autism which would mandate strict environmental rules on emissions. Then that particular "cure" (the Feds further control your exhaust pipe) could be called "left of center". Or if it were proven vaccines did indeed cause autism, then discourging vaccines(an encouraging disease) might conceivably be considered "libertarian". Which in the US is usually considered "right wing" (though not in other countries).

On the other hand...if what you're asking is this: some folks yearn for their autism to be cured, and others yearn to be accepted for they are and cling to their autism as part of their identiy. So which attitude is which (right or left)?

Again neither is neither. If you go by analogy to the LBGT community then acceptance would be considered left of center, and conforming to NT norms might be considered right of center. But with gays etc, there is the religious factor. The Bible proscribes homosexual behavior, but doesn't say anything about autism. Religion is associated with conservatism in the US. But since religion isn't a factor with autism the question is kinda meaningless.