Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 7:54 pm

We often talk here about how in the olden days how autistics and other "ret*d" people were warehoused in institutions under horrible conditions. In 1972 a young Geraldo Rivera then working as a reporter for the American Broadcast Company's New York City affiliate exposed the conditions at one of those institutions. It was raw and ended up being broadcast nationally.

Revisiting Willowbrook 50 years later with reporter Geraldo Rivera

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 8:12 pm

That was one VERY good thing Geraldo Rivera did!

Unfortunately, Geraldo Rivera has also done some very bad things, like helping to launch the Satanic Ritual Abuse scare in the 1980's.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 12:03 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Unfortunately, Geraldo Rivera has also done some very bad things, like helping to launch the Satanic Ritual Abuse scare in the 1980's.

It seems true for almost every figure in the history of Autism. It starts from the very beginning with Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger. Bernard Rimland is the perfect example of this. He was incremental in ending the "Refrigerator Mother" era but was anti vaxx, supported chelation, quack diet cures, and aversives(he co-founded the Autism Society of America with Ivan Lovass). Speaking of Lovass his crude ABA was not as bad as all of Willowbrook type places common for "mental cripples" during that era.

I very distinctly remember watching Rivera's exposes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 6:32 pm

Thanks, I had not seen the Willowbrook expose back then. I do remember all the talk about it though. It was as bad a snake pit as I could have imagined.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2022, 3:13 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Geraldo Rivera fits the model of "front running" the allegations. They know the accusations are coming so the operative runs with them in a way that allows them to be discredited.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 5:18 am

flamingshorts wrote:
Geraldo Rivera fits the model of "front running" the allegations. They know the accusations are coming so the operative runs with them in a way that allows them to be discredited.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Do you mean to endorse the idea that there's a massive, generations-old, world-controlling conspiracy of "Satanic ritual abuse" perpetrators? And do you mean to claim that Geraldo Rivera himself is/was a part of that conspiracy?

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2022, 7:13 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
flamingshorts wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Do you mean to endorse the idea that there's a massive, generations-old, world-controlling conspiracy of "Satanic ritual abuse" perpetrators? And do you mean to claim that Geraldo Rivera himself is/was a part of that conspiracy?

Endorses it in a way that it can be discredited. For example adding ridiculous things to it.
I wonder what the truth is. One fact I know is on the 31st August 2021 the Queensland Parliament, Queensland Police, main stream media conspired to suppress public awareness of the allegations which date back to the this:
I'll ask about this Willowbrook and Geraldo on a group that usually has some idea.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 11:58 am

flamingshorts wrote:
One fact I know is on the 31st August 2021 the Queensland Parliament, Queensland Police, main stream media conspired to suppress public awareness of the allegations which date back to the this:

How do you "know" this alleged "fact"?

luckystrike.es
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2022, 9:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
flamingshorts wrote:
One fact I know is on the 31st August 2021 the Queensland Parliament, Queensland Police, main stream media conspired to suppress public awareness of the allegations which date back to the this:

How do you "know" this alleged "fact"?

Don't poke the bear :P