Conflating the LBGQT rights movement, ND movement mistake?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 8:43 am

OP's Note:
This was taken from another thread. While this topic has been often brought up I don't recall having its own thread which to me it obviously deserves

carlos55 wrote:
The logic of mixing up LGBT progression & autism is always a flawed one

Being gay was never a disability, who you wish to have sex with does not effect your ability to function independently in the world, it certainly meant more stress causing depression / anxiety but general functioning remained unaffected.

It was added as a medical disorder because of the law at the time and it was law because of the Christian church and the Christian church made it so because of passages in the bible alluding to such things.

In the 20th century the church lost much of its power and countries became more secular, resulting in society & laws associated with relationships becoming more liberal, on things such as living together, sex before marriage, single parents, divorce and finally LGBT.

There is some irony in claiming some misguided morality associated with remaining how you was born and then quoting LGBT, since such false logic could easily be applied against the trans community, i.e theoretically those in authority claiming - "if your born with a penis or Y chromo, your a man & its forbidden to have gender surgery or to be viewed as any other way."

Thankfully no one in authority in the west views gender in that way or imposes such ideas on the medical sector.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 8:51 am

That was quick :lol:

I do sometimes edit posts after because of my dyslexia so i want to make clear in advance:--

Thankfully no one in authority in the west including myself views gender in that way or imposes such ideas on the medical sector.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 9:15 am

Of course, LBGTQ is not the same as Autism. Cancer is not the same as autism, Other non physical disabilities are not the same as Autism etc.

IMHO opinion there are enough similarities to be relevant. Different as we may be LBGTQ people were viewed at the time of Stonewall as mentally ill and character flawed just like we were at the dawn of the ND movement. What is wrong with taking inspiration and being influenced by such a successful movement?

All rights movements have their extremists and internal disagreements that harm them by alienating the general public. That does not necessarily mean the cause is wrong.

It does not mean we should do exactly what they did because we are different. For example, organizing and attending mass rallies are problematic for us. But we have an advantage advocates after Stonewall did not, the internet.

A much higher percentage of autistics are LBGQT then the general popularity so there's that

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 9:18 am

carlos55 wrote:
That was quick :lol:

Finally figuring out after 11 years that this topic deserves its own thread, not quick :oops:

I am always editing my replies after I post them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 8:01 pm

LGBTQ isn't the same as ND movement alright.

Oh, sure, both are varying human rights movements...
And that's very much it.

Their infighting consists of the LGB (the ones who wanted to legalized same sex marriage and make same sex relationships no longer taboo) wanting to be away from the TQ+ parts (the ones who kept going on with gender pronouns, identity affirmation, medical transitioning, etc.).

And the 'A' (asexuality) are just kept getting excluded or ignored, and might as well have their own thing.

Their ideas of rights actually do not overlap or conflict from their respective right to exist as they are.
And do not understand how they even grouped together other than the common right to exist and express themselves. (Probably except also some historical references that they're shoved together by the same majority of people).
Now, the former (stuff around the matters of sexuality) is just outright annoyed at the latter (stuff around the matters of gender identities) whether or not how one can be tied into another.

That's not the same with have autism vs being autistic community infighting, obviously. :lol:

The movements of both sides have different ideas of what human rights even meant, usually between right to medical treatment and right to exist as they are.
One is aligned with the ND rights movement, one does not.

One idea can be both aligned with the ND movement and disability movement, one idea only supports disability movement and not the ND movement, or heck there are plenty of ideas that do not even support the basic human rights along with the rest of it and believe it's the best, etc.

And it's too individualized; which right can precede which?

In which either can see another as getting in a way to a right of growth and opportunity. It conflicts, it overlaps.
Mostly because of not knowing where the disability ends and the neurodiversity begins.

As for cancer community? :lol:

The difference is obvious, the objective is more than clear.
I'm not elaborating anything about it. I refuse to slice any further than that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 3:49 am

LGBT movement had rather simple aims - to normalise same sex relationships as heterosexual ones legally and remove stigma associated with them. Lets leave aside the trans movement for a minute.

All LGBT people wanted the same thing, i cant imagine some gay people saying "i want more discrimination" for example

They largely succeeded as the power of the church fell away and gov & society got tired of moralising.

ND movement is a lot different its more complicated.

About 90% overlaps and is duplicated with the general disability rights movement, i.e employment, legal protections etc..

Which is fine but its just a duplication of what's there already.

The last bit is more divisive and complicated.

The ND movement :

1. Wants to promote autism as an identity: Problem there is no real single autism to speak of, its just a 1940`s word given to describe many things from mild conditions to the very serious, where does autism begin? where does it end?, everyone is a little autistic as the saying goes? what is the bio marker for it?, nobody knows.

How can you have an identity that is so wide & cannot be properly defined other than a few paragraphs on a bit of paper?

2. Anti cure: Many autistic people like their autism and don't want curing but not everyone. There have been a few basic simple polls on this site i once saw showed around a third wanted curing, obviously that excluded those who were not functional to use a computer so not everyone is on board with this anti cure direction (irrespective of possibility of this happening)

Even those that don't want curing, but would favour treatments to help with some of their core symptoms, an anti cure medical direction would reduce the chance of that happening, because it reduces motivation to develop one.

We already know some genes that cause some autisms also cause bad things like ID & epilepsy

https://jmg.bmj.com/content/57/9/647

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fullt ... 11-1247(19)31641-9?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS2211124719316419%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

There`s simpler to read articles elsewhere, some may show high IQ in some autisms but the whole spectrum is very negative.

Maybe in the future some autisms could be sold as an identity or valid "difference", but they will need to be identified properly in the biological sense and with minimal impairments, mostly social but with high IQ.

But not now with the spectrum how it is.

- George Bernie Shaw

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 4:04 am

There are always similarities between all civil rights moments. While not the same, there is some intersectionality. For example, a lot of autistic people are also LBGT as well. The ND movement is a bit more complicated because it's also asking for accommodations for a disability (as such it's a sub-movement within the broader disability rights movement), but that doesn't mean that there aren't some similarities with the LGBT movement as well. Comparisons also don't mean that the two are being conflated either.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 5:46 am

Edna3362 wrote:
LGBTQ isn't the same as ND movement alright.

Oh, sure, both are varying human rights movements...
And that's very much it.

Their infighting consists of the LGB (the ones who wanted to legalized same sex marriage and make same sex relationships no longer taboo) wanting to be away from the TQ+ parts (the ones who kept going on with gender pronouns, identity affirmation, medical transitioning, etc.).

And the 'A' (asexuality) are just kept getting excluded or ignored, and might as well have their own thing.

Their ideas of rights actually do not overlap or conflict from their respective right to exist as they are.
And do not understand how they even grouped together other than the common right to exist and express themselves. (Probably except also some historical references that they're shoved together by the same majority of people).
Now, the former (stuff around the matters of sexuality) is just outright annoyed at the latter (stuff around the matters of gender identities) whether or not how one can be tied into another.

That's not the same with have autism vs being autistic community infighting, obviously. :lol:

The movements of both sides have different ideas of what human rights even meant, usually between right to medical treatment and right to exist as they are.
One is aligned with the ND rights movement, one does not.

One idea can be both aligned with the ND movement and disability movement, one idea only supports disability movement and not the ND movement, or heck there are plenty of ideas that do not even support the basic human rights along with the rest of it and believe it's the best, etc.

And it's too individualized; which right can precede which?

In which either can see another as getting in a way to a right of growth and opportunity. It conflicts, it overlaps.
Mostly because of not knowing where the disability ends and the neurodiversity begins.

As for cancer community? :lol:

The difference is obvious, the objective is more than clear.
I'm not elaborating anything about it. I refuse to slice any further than that.

In our community, the difference is more fundamental the autistic person vs person with autism. It is over what Autism is.

In the past the "gay movement" was fundamentally divided over if bisexuals belonged in the movement. Now it is over trans issues.

I mentioned cancer because I am an Autistic cancer survivor. I mentioned cancer being different from Autism purely in the context of the conditions. There are no fundamental differences with the cancer patients' rights movement. All agree with what cancer is and that it should be cured.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2024, 8:05 am

Jono wrote:
There are always similarities between all civil rights moments. While not the same, there is some intersectionality. For example, a lot of autistic people are also LBGT as well. The ND movement is a bit more complicated because it's also asking for accommodations for a disability (as such it's a sub-movement within the broader disability rights movement), but that doesn't mean that there aren't some similarities with the LGBT movement as well. Comparisons also don't mean that the two are being conflated either.

Speaking only for myself here as an autistic person who would previously have been diagnosed with Asperger's or 'high-functioning' autism:

I am not asking for any kind of accommodations, concessions or special treatment. All I am asking for is awareness. But I'm ****ing demanding that.

Lampipe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2024, 2:59 pm

carlos55 wrote:
1. Wants to promote autism as an identity: Problem there is no real single autism to speak of, its just a 1940`s word given to describe many things from mild conditions to the very serious, where does autism begin? where does it end?, everyone is a little autistic as the saying goes? what is the bio marker for it?, nobody knows.

You can play the same game with LGBT; there are those who say “everyone is a little bi.”

I think the core problem isn’t an unclear definition (it’s fairly well-defined in the psychological literature, and even though the symptoms vary greatly in how disruptive they are to a person’s life and how much care they need, there is more commonality than difference), it’s most people’s lack of knowledge of what autism is. There are a ton of myths and misconceptions about, say, deaf people, but at least most people know what you’re talking about when you say someone’s deaf. You say someone’s autistic, they’ll either look at you blankly or be like, “You mean like Rain Man?”

What leads autistic people to be mistreated and marginalized isn’t some abstract belief like “Autism is a sin against God”, it doesn’t come from thinking about autism as a concept or condition at all, it comes from reacting to common behaviors autistic people display—say, stimming, avoiding eye contact, difficulties with social etiquette—and misunderstanding the causes.

And while there’s some evidence of disproportionate overlap between autism and LGBT, I don’t think the bigots commonly confuse autism with being LGBT, the way that they have so often confused being gay with being trans, one of the main historical reasons the two are grouped under one umbrella.