Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Moku2020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2024, 11:14 am

I’m feeling unsettled by a comment my doctor made. She was discussing having me test for MTHFR gene because of some issues with mood and blood work showing nutrient deficiencies. She then added that “we’re not dealing with anything neurodovergent,” but I was diagnosed with Asperger’s 20 years ago.

I’m confused because a. Neurodovergent isn’t a medical term, b. Why would someone assume that someone they’re talking to isn’t in that category

Something feels off about this and I don’t know if it’s safe to assume she was just rambling.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 2:06 pm

I suspect, but do not know, that the doctor was clarifying that the MTHFR issue had nothing to do with whether or not you were neurodivergent (using the colloquial term rather than the formal diagnosis term).

But I suggest you ask them for clarification when you next get a chance.

ChicagoLiz
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2024, 3:34 pm

A number of medical complaints have autism as a risk factor. One of my daughters has a half-dozen medical complaints like that, and is ND because of ADHD and anxiety, but has been tested and apparently isn't actually autistic. But it taught us that a lot of the medical stuff -- which she got from me -- is known to be more likely in autistic people. So that might be what the doctor was referring to: that MTHFR is something that has no connection with autism.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 5:12 pm

The MTHFR gene (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) is responsible for producing an enzyme that plays a crucial role in processing amino acids and converting homocysteine to methionine, an essential amino acid. This enzyme is important for:

1. **Folate Metabolism**: It helps convert dietary folate into its active form, which is vital for DNA synthesis and repair.
2. **Homocysteine Regulation**: Proper function of the MTHFR enzyme helps keep homocysteine levels in check. Elevated homocysteine is associated with various health risks, including cardiovascular diseases.

Mutations in the MTHFR gene, such as C677T and A1298C, can affect the enzyme's activity and may lead to an increased risk of certain health issues, including cardiovascular problems, neural tube defects during pregnancy, and other metabolic disorders. Genetic testing can determine if someone has these mutations, but not everyone with MTHFR mutations will experience health problems.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2024, 10:20 pm

My doctor told me he couldn't figure out what my personality was

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 10:34 pm

I have the MTHFR gene issue and I'm super autistic (lol) and ADHD.

I'm not saying that's why I'm autistic but who knows.

It's worth finding out either way for your own health.

In the meantime take methyl-b vitamins.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2024, 4:30 am

Double Retired wrote:
I suspect, but do not know, that the doctor was clarifying that the MTHFR issue had nothing to do with whether or not you were neurodivergent (using the colloquial term rather than the formal diagnosis term).

But I suggest you ask them for clarification when you next get a chance.

That sounds most likely. The doctor was trying to communicate that the specific issue was not related to autism, but they don't know how to communicate with autistic people. (They used a casual aside, or throwaway remark. As an autistic person, I find that can often derail an entire conversation.)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 5:23 am

Alternatively, not knowing you are neurodivergent, they were trying to assure you that you are not.
In case you were worried that you were.
Which you are.
See? Even I'm getting confused. :?

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 5:32 am

The weird comment I get from medical professionals that unsettles me is "Oh, Wow !"

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 6:42 am

There’s whole communities online associating MTHFR and autism also related to folinic acid anti bodies causing neurological problems including autism.

Some of it has some scientific basis and research is going on at the moment.

Unfortunately you also have the quackery side latching on making their own non evidence based claims.

Sounds like your dr was treading on safe ground by referring to any physical associated health problems you may have due to MTHFR.

I have the MTHFR issue too along with genetic mutations causing vit b6 absorption.

Did it cause my current issues I have no idea and I’m not sure anyone else can at this moment in time.

- George Bernie Shaw

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2024, 8:27 am

Personally I think the m*th**f****rs could have come up with a better acronym than MTHFR.