Significant rise in autism diagnoses in Somali Children

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bsickler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2024, 5:51 pm

From PBS Newshour:

In the Somali community in Minneapolis, MN, the rate of autism diagnoses among children is 1/16, significantly higher than average, resulting in widespread and substantial medical, legal and cultural challenges for the community as a whole.

The reason behind this is unknown and an active area of research.

Related, the rate of autism diagnoses in the US overall is still growing, and is now officially at 1/36.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2024, 6:47 pm

Interesting video

I did read once a theory of different gut biome causing autism in children of immigrants.

The theory being different gut bacteria exists in different parts of the world and pregnant mothers being exposed to new gut bacteria causes some type of inflammation causing the autism.

They keep mentioning this “early intervention” again

Are they referring to ABA? A little bit of skill training is supposed to prevent autism?

If so seems like they like to keep pushing this.

I don’t have strong feelings on ABA just not convinced it’s that effective they don’t do it in the UK seems to be mainly a US thing.

However autism rates are similar in both countries.

If ABA was that great US rates would be much less as all these kids being sent to ABA getting cured reducing overall numbers.

Seems this obsession with early intervention is a big nothing the more you say it the more it becomes true but the evidence is not there as far as I believe.

- George Bernie Shaw

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2024, 1:48 am

The high rates of autism in Somalian immigrants is one of the observations behind my hypothesis about transgenerational trauma.

As the mothers of the autistic children would have suffered a great deal of stress over conflict and relocation to another country.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=422280