Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 1:56 am

Is it just me, or is there hardly any support or information out there on adults with asperger syndrome?

And if so why?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:16 am

I've noticed that as well. Maybe it's because doctors figure that by adulthood we should have enough coping and social skills not to need help anymore. Or maybe they simply believe we "outgrow it". :shrug:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:34 am

Part of it is because Aspergers is such a new diagnosis they don't realize that there are older adults that had it before it became a known diagnosis.

But also no one really cares what happens to Aspergers adults. Autistic people in general are viewed as worthless since few contribute to society. Basically its a wasted expense to help us because society gets little if anything in return for the investment.

The real change will occur when the current generation hits adulthood because there are so many with developmental disorders that society will have no choice but to help them because there won't be enough NT's to keep the world running. That said they have found very little that helps ASD people. I mean what would you have them do for you? They can't get rid of your sensory issues. They can't make you act normal so your boss doesn't hate you. They can't make people be nice to you if they don't want to. I think a lot of work will be done from home in the future and that is when Aspies will find it easier to work.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:36 am

It just occurred to me that it might be because AS hasn't been a official disorder for that long.

Because its a very new disorder the childern they studied are only now reaching adult age.
So they havent had time to see how the treatments they used on the kids pan out for adult AS

If this is indeed the case maby in a year or two there will be more help and info.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:41 am

Ticker wrote:
Part of it is because Aspergers is such a new diagnosis they don't realize that there are older adults that had it before it became a known diagnosis.

But also no one really cares what happens to Aspergers adults. Autistic people in general are viewed as worthless since few contribute to society. Basically its a wasted expense to help us because society gets little if anything in return for the investment.

The real change will occur when the current generation hits adulthood because there are so many with developmental disorders that society will have no choice but to help them because there won't be enough NT's to keep the world running. That said they have found very little that helps ASD people. I mean what would you have them do for you? They can't get rid of your sensory issues. They can't make you act normal so your boss doesn't hate you. They can't make people be nice to you if they don't want to. I think a lot of work will be done from home in the future and that is when Aspies will find it easier to work.

Yes I guess that true too. But arent there alot of aspies who work?

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2008, 2:48 am

There's not a lot out there for a lot of categories of adults. Notice that all the medical and social charities out there are specifically about children. We're not exactly being singled out, but it's stupid to happen to anyone--problems of any sorts don't just go away the second you turn 18.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:56 am

The problem is that as an adult with a mind which is different to the average mind in the UK you are very low down the list of things. Which I think is a flamming disgrace.

I have seen how a depressed person I know has been poorly treated by the UK's NHS. I think that poor mental health services will cost a country more in the long run than the saving obtained by not providing the services. By failing to get people quickly into a good state of mental health it is likely that the social and ecconomic cost will be very large.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:00 am

Everything is focused on "reaching the kids before it's to late"...that would imply that they know that there are adults who have not gotten help and suffered because of it or....that they know that we develop ,just slower, and can give credit to their money wasting programs for development that occurs naturally over time...(scam) . I don't know which is true but I find it very "unscientific" that someone hasn't noticed a huge population of individual with autistic traits who appear to have social, educational and employment problems insite of their apparent intelligence.....You telling me know one noticed ???? What kind of scientist are these?

As to "out growing"...yeah, I have learned some coping skills but haven't heard from many adults with AS who don't still struggle with some AS traits and co-morbids as adults and I think that many of our strengths could benefit society if they would make a small investment in resources to help with some of the "problem areas" . They are just to short-sighted to realize this and operate the whole of society just as poorly as they do their medical model of treating an illness vs helping people live healthier with early interventions . Ironically, they now do that with AS, (though try getting most insurance companies to cover it) , but "how" they treat it seems ineffectual and sadistic in many ways .

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:03 am

cause people are stupid

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:36 am

There's some, but not a whole ton. AS wasn't really diagnosed until the early 90s, and it's most often diagnosed in kids because if you've managed to survive to adulthood with unrecognized AS, odds are you've developed coping mechanism and in many cases either don't hear of AS or don't want to bother with the diagnostic procedure. As a result, most officially diagnosed Aspies are currently children, so any services are aimed at them. Still, adults are no longer the responsibility of helicopter moms and will get less attention anyways.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:37 am

When I asked my psychologist that question he said it was because there was no future in it. I sat there with my mouth open as he casually opined that all the children with 'that sort of thing' were now being screened by professionals and would get 'the help they needed' and able to live assisted or even independently by the time they were adults so it wasn't like what I as already an adult would need. . remedial training.

I must say, I was dismayed and pretty put out about this information.

Merle

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:57 am

sinsboldly wrote:
When I asked my psychologist that question he said it was because there was no future in it. I sat there with my mouth open as he casually opined that all the children with 'that sort of thing' were now being screened by professionals and would get 'the help they needed' and able to live assisted or even independently by the time they were adults so it wasn't like what I as already an adult would need. . remedial training.

Merle

Um... wow. He sounds pretty dumb. Must not have paid much attention to... well... anything that's ever occurred in his profession. So Aspie children are all going to be cured before they reach adulthood? Right. I have an Aspie friend who was dxed in early childhood before it even got added to the DSM-IV, and he's just as Aspie as I am still.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:00 am

edit.

Last edited by just-me on 14 Dec 2008, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2008, 4:16 am

sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

See, I'd be finding a new psychologist, and possibly reporting them to the regional supervisers for sheer ignorance and idiocy.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 5:17 am

I sent an email to autism speaks letting them know that the adult comunity should have more info on adult AS at there disposal.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:19 am

Giving help in childhood is the best time, in childhood you learn easier and do not have patterns that cannot be bended. And without the help I received in my childhood, I could not function like I do now with a job and such.

But I think some help would useful now, people are still worrying about me. But most help is targeted on the really heavy cases of autism or on people with low intelligence. For someone with a job and an above average intelligence there is no help. At least not in The Netherlands.