Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 5:20 am

"Amanda Knox, the 23-year-old American college student who was convicted of sexually assaulting and killing her roommate, Meredith Kercher, in Italy in 2007, allegedly after an orgy gone wrong, got good news this week. Independent experts working on her ongoing appeal said that the traces of DNA used to convict Knox may have been contaminated and are "unreliable."

With the DNA evidence excluded, the only substantiation of Knox's guilt includes a possibly coerced confession and her bizarre behavior after being arrested. But could those two things have the same explanation? Is it possible that Knox has an underlying condition — Asperger's syndrome, a less severe form of autism — that caused both her unusual social behavior and a gullibility that triggered a false confession?"
Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/30/c ... -disorder/

http://www.autscape.org/

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2011, 5:36 am

She might just be strange. But that isn't evidence of guilt and I believe her conviction is unsafe.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2011, 9:42 am

Oh no she's not... she's very NT, irrespective of she's guilty or not. For sure she told lies...

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 10:19 am

Here's something I don't get.

Quote:
This makes people with Asperger's particularly prone to false confessions both because they get easily overwhelmed by stress and because they don't understand the intentions of the police.

I'm not doubting it. I'm wanting to understand it. The stress part I get. I don't get how not understanding the intentions of the police leads to or contributes to false confession. How does not understanding the intentions of the police contribute to saying you did something that you didn't do? Anyone have any insight?

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

People will say what others want to hear. That's why confessions are unreliable.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

claudia wrote:
Oh no she's not... she's very NT, irrespective of she's guilty or not. For sure she told lies...

How do you know that?

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

I didn't imagined that new was so popular. Italian journalism loves crime ( :( )
To me she doesn't sounds aspie.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

Mysty wrote:
Here's something I don't get.

Quote:
This makes people with Asperger's particularly prone to false confessions both because they get easily overwhelmed by stress and because they don't understand the intentions of the police.

I'm not doubting it. I'm wanting to understand it. The stress part I get. I don't get how not understanding the intentions of the police leads to or contributes to false confession. How does not understanding the intentions of the police contribute to saying you did something that you didn't do? Anyone have any insight?

To Knox, the intention of the police was to get her to say that she did it. Understandable, considering how the police could pressure people. So she said what they wanted to hear.

An NT would understand that the truth supersedes the intentions of the police, and would not succumb to the interrogations no matter how much mental pressure they put on the suspect.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm

She probably has some sort of disorder that explains her atypical behavior, so she's probably not NT, but that doesn't mean she's an aspie. However, the decision of whether or not it is AS is beyond the authority of anyone on WP and should be reserved for those that have actually met her in person. As Gaus said, she hasn't met Knox so she cannot decide either way.

Speculating is fun, but it shouldn't cement anyone's opinion.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:19 pm

i always thought maybe she has a borderline personality.this explains her change of personality between the way her friends in seattle knew her and her posable actions in italy.schizhrenia doesnt manifest it self until the late teens and early twenties and women with borderline personalities have high rates of romance related homicides even if they showed no signs of violence prior to onset of psychosis

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:26 pm

I doubt she has it and the fact that she confessed to certain things (before she realised she wasn't simply a witness anymore) would make me put my money on 'guilty'.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
i always thought maybe she has a borderline personality.this explains her change of personality between the way her friends in seattle knew her and her posable actions in italy.schizhrenia doesnt manifest it self until the late teens and early twenties and women with borderline personalities have high rates of romance related homicides even if they showed no signs of violence prior to onset of psychosis

What does schizophrenia have to do with your suggestion that she has boarderline personality disorder? The two aren't at all related.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:12 am

KenG wrote:
Independent experts working on her ongoing appeal said that the traces of DNA used to convict Knox may have been contaminated and are "unreliable."

Which does not exonerate her, she is still a suspect

KenG wrote:
Is it possible that Knox has an underlying condition — Asperger's syndrome, a less severe form of autism — that caused both her unusual social behavior and a gullibility that triggered a false confession?"
Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/30/c ... -disorder/

This is an assumption that we cannot test

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:31 am

Mysty wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

What does schizophrenia have to do with your suggestion that she has boarderline personality disorder? The two aren't at all related.
as far as i know the borderline personality is a type of schizophenia

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:53 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Mysty wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

as far as i know the borderline personality is a type of schizophenia

It isn't. And I know plenty about borderline personality disorder.

Okay, after an internet search, I see where you got that. It was originally, when named, thought of that way. But that thinking changed around about when I was born (and I'm not young). (My knowledge of BPD is about the actual disorder, not the history of the diagnostic term; thus my unawareness of that connection.)

So, your knowledge is more than a little out of date.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 9:24 am

ok so ther no longer related,back to topic now.what if amanda has multiple personality disorder could seattle amanda knox and foxy knoxy be both real and the same person.could this explain her changes in personality.now to the totaly unrelated condition of borderline peronality .Blp wont manifest itself late teens early twenties.peolple with blp can become devistated if separated from a loved one and can be homicidal in a psychosis.parents have been killed if they were to forbid relationships also romantic rivals and lovers have been killed if they tried to leave the relationship