Suggestions for an exerise that I should try?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 9:37 pm

I have low blood pressure, so I can't do anything that makes me sweat (as I'll faint). I need something that I can do in a 5 - 10 minute session (if there's video tape version of this instead of dvd, I would be extremely happy), and minimal equipment if possible. I don't mind stretchs and stuff, but I would either want it to make me feel better about myself (Maybe something where I can move my hips a bit?) or relaxing. I don't know what the different exerise things are, so I need help!

PlanetX
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2008, 2:05 am

I have a tree outside my door, so I just walk around it. So if I think of something else I want to do, I don't have a long walk home.

Walking is for exercise, and relaxing the mind. I don't have to GO anywhere to do that.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 2:23 am

Tried tai chi or yoga? I hear those particular exercises are non sweat inducing, and are ideal for those with circulatory problems. Being young probably yoga is more intensive for you. Don't know how bad your problems are though.

Personally, I would like to do tai chi. But have yet to get around to doing anything about it.

This list is far from exhaustive as I do not have an extensive knowledge of low impact exercises suitable for a person with low blood pressure. Perhaps consulting a doctor would be a help?

MsJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2008, 2:47 am

I'd say try yoga or mat Pilates - all you need is a sticky mat, and there are short, 10 minute workouts around for both. Search Amazon, or maybe you can get used videos on eBay. Both Pilates and Yoga build strength and flexibility without making you sweat (as long as you stay away from power, astanga or bikram yoga), and you will feel good when you are done.

With yoga you might have to be careful - inverted poses could affect you if your blood pressure is low enough to make you faint.

In addition to the Tai Chi suggestion, you might want to look into Qi Gong. Personally I like it better than Tai Chi (too slow for me, makes me want to slug someone in frustration to m...o...v...e t...h...a...t s...l...o....w...l..y).

BTW, I exercise all the time at home and I have to say, my life changed when I got a DVD player! Just a suggestion - go for it if there's any way you can afford it. If you can get a DVD player, I highly recommend Jennifer Kries' Hot Body Cool Mind DVDs. They're loaded with great, no-sweat, feel-good-about-yourself exercises.
-J.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 3:14 am

Pacing around things, yes. You could do that indoors or out.

How low exactly is your blood pressure? I thought mine was low at 108 over 72, but I've never fainted or felt light-headed from physical exertion.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 3:20 am

don't know about qi gong, but tai chi short form would take more than 10minutes.

BUT

you can just do the movements you want, anyway.

Yoga is another good thing to do.

I found it helped me to have someone help with my body position for yoga and tai chi.

I have a couple of vhs tapes on yoga and one with tai chi from a local instructor.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 5:40 pm

Flismflop wrote:
Pacing around things, yes. You could do that indoors or out.

How low exactly is your blood pressure? I thought mine was low at 108 over 72, but I've never fainted or felt light-headed from physical exertion.
I've fainted...it's pretty darn low

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 5:42 pm

MsJ wrote:
I'd say try yoga or mat Pilates - all you need is a sticky mat, and there are short, 10 minute workouts around for both. Search Amazon, or maybe you can get used videos on eBay. Both Pilates and Yoga build strength and flexibility without making you sweat (as long as you stay away from power, astanga or bikram yoga), and you will feel good when you are done.

With yoga you might have to be careful - inverted poses could affect you if your blood pressure is low enough to make you faint.

In addition to the Tai Chi suggestion, you might want to look into Qi Gong. Personally I like it better than Tai Chi (too slow for me, makes me want to slug someone in frustration to m...o...v...e t...h...a...t s...l...o....w...l..y).

BTW, I exercise all the time at home and I have to say, my life changed when I got a DVD player! Just a suggestion - go for it if there's any way you can afford it. If you can get a DVD player, I highly recommend Jennifer Kries' Hot Body Cool Mind DVDs. They're loaded with great, no-sweat, feel-good-about-yourself exercises.
-J.
Thank you! I probably won't do yoga then, as I would faint or just fall over, either one.
How slow is it? Yoga slow, or slower?

MsJ

28 Feb 2008, 7:23 pm

Pilates is about the same intensity as a moderate Yoga session, but you are mostly doing exercises on a mat, on your back, your side or on all fours and few or no inversions (and when you do something where you head is lower than your heart, you aren't holding a pose). Some DVDs have you doing exercises faster than others, depending on the school of Pilates the instructor comes from (those who stick close to what founder Joseph Pilates taught often do the exercises faster, and it's more challenging this way). Personally, I think slower is better for beginners, since the moves rely on precision and it's easier to get the moves down when you're doing them slowly. You need to move in conjunction with your breath, hold your abs in ("bring your belly button to the spine," as they say... as if most people's belly buttons would come anywhere close to the spine! :lol: ), keep a "neutral" spine (with a natural curve, not exaggerated or straightened out), etc. If you do what the video instructor says, you'll be fine. :)

The whole key to Pilates is not how many reps you do, but how precisely you are able to do the moves. The precision is what builds up your strength and muscle tone. This is why it never gets easier, and the same moves are challenging even after you've been doing them for months. And it's probably one of the safer exercises for someone with low blood pressure.

-J.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:27 pm

MsJ wrote:
Pilates is about the same intensity as a moderate Yoga session, but you are mostly doing exercises on a mat, on your back, your side or on all fours and few or no inversions (and when you do something where you head is lower than your heart, you aren't holding a pose). Some DVDs have you doing exercises faster than others, depending on the school of Pilates the instructor comes from (those who stick close to what founder Joseph Pilates taught often do the exercises faster, and it's more challenging this way). Personally, I think slower is better for beginners, since the moves rely on precision and it's easier to get the moves down when you're doing them slowly. You need to move in conjunction with your breath, hold your abs in ("bring your belly button to the spine," as they say... as if most people's belly buttons would come anywhere close to the spine! :lol: ), keep a "neutral" spine (with a natural curve, not exaggerated or straightened out), etc. If you do what the video instructor says, you'll be fine. :)

The whole key to Pilates is not how many reps you do, but how precisely you are able to do the moves. The precision is what builds up your strength and muscle tone. This is why it never gets easier, and the same moves are challenging even after you've been doing them for months. And it's probably one of the safer exercises for someone with low blood pressure.

-J.

I want it to get a bit easier...I also get dizzy when I'm doing really fast stuff, so I'm not looking for that. I want something that might tone my muscules, but is more relaxing then anything.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 6:04 pm

Have you gone to a doctor about the fainting and sweating, it sounds like you have low blood sugar, you should be tested for that and have a full cardiology exam including a stress test. When starting any exercise program always check with your doctor first, its not a good idea to rely on information from the internet, since who would know any issues you may have but your doctor.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 8:28 pm

spudnik wrote:
Have you gone to a doctor about the fainting and sweating, it sounds like you have low blood sugar, you should be tested for that and have a full cardiology exam including a stress test. When starting any exercise program always check with your doctor first, its not a good idea to rely on information from the internet, since who would know any issues you may have but your doctor.
I have low blood pressure, i've been diagnosised.

He said that I can swim and ski, but that's it :P
I'm able to do warm ups without too much problems though, as it's more stretching then anything else

I always have warning when I'm feeling dizzy, so I can stop. When I faint, it's usually in the shower, when I have my eyes closed and so I don't have any blurred vision.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 9:40 pm

Whoa, that sucks. I can't think of any other exercises you can do. If I do find something, I'll let you know.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:21 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
Whoa, that sucks. I can't think of any other exercises you can do. If I do find something, I'll let you know.
Thank you :D
Maybe water arobics? I can do anything in cold water, because the cold balances the heat of exercise.

Whivit
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2008, 6:38 pm

Yeah, I'd say swimming, if you can find a good pool near you and if the bathing suits don't bother you (they drive me nuts).

Also, get a dog! Dogs are good for your blood pressure. :D

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 8:06 pm

Whivit wrote:
Yeah, I'd say swimming, if you can find a good pool near you and if the bathing suits don't bother you (they drive me nuts).

Also, get a dog! Dogs are good for your blood pressure. :D
I'm scared of dogs :P

I like the bathing suits and I have a pool somewhat near me :D I just need to fit time.