Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

So on both sides of my family we have the unique genetic predisposition to not so much lose our hair as much as have it get thinner. I think some of you know what I'm talking about, it's where hair can still grow but it doesn't have much body and the scalp becomes more visible.

I have fairly long hair, and I like having long hair. Since I'm going gray I like to joke I look like a mad scientist. But my hair has started to thin at the front of my scalp and along the part. It's not TOO bad, and in fact unless I point it out it's not noticeable. But it's started to bug me, especially since I'm only 24.

I was thinking of using Rogaine to boost that back up. I was wondering if any of you had done this, or just what your experiences with hair loss in general are.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 7:19 pm

Only ONE treatment for hair loss exists - Rogaine. All others reduce your sex drive.

5% Rogaine foam is the best. It will cost you about $30-60 per month. Once you start, you CANNOT stop using it or the hair you have gained will fall out. You have to put it on twice a day and can't shampoo at least 4 hours afterward. I use a glove to put it on so I don't have to wash my hand afterward.

Some people get very itchy scalp from it and have to stop. I've been fine for two weeks so far.

Boldness is bad for looks, but confidence makes people attractive. You can compensate boldness with confidence :) And, you should also talk to peolple you trust about how you feel about going bold. Don't keep those feelings bottled up. Share them with your family and you will feel much less bothered by the hair loss.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 10:00 pm

Not an expert here, but I do know hair loss (male pattern baldness/true or frank baldness) is caused by activation of the gene dihydrotestosterone. Rogaine should work (I know their may be something else as well but I can't think of it, sorry) :oops:. If you can find a way of shutting the gene off, it would be a cure. Ask a doctor.

Justin227
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2009, 9:56 pm

Male pattern baldness has started to become a special interest of mine.
It was once believed that mpb was caused by the males on your mom's side of the family. However this is now not believed to be the case.
The males on my mother's side all have thick full hair. My dad's side their all bald. So does this mean I have a 50% chance of going bald? Someone please let me know.

Also, James you may not be thinning if you have to point it out. I thought I was until I did some research. Most males ages 17 to 27 begin to lose their adolecent hair line and and begin to get their mature one. It may just be receding above the temples, if it is than that is it. Thinning is another thing. I was afraid when this started to happen to me, it's receding above the temples, kind of like Jud Law, but not nearly as bad, but you get the point.

Umesh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2017, 2:56 am

Hi, From your words as you said that you are just starting hair loss. So don't need to panic. Hair loss is a normal lots of men and women are suffering from hair loss in their life. Hair loss is due to over stress, unhealthy diet and over medication. So its better to find cause of hair loss before undergo any treatment.

Hair loss treatment:

I think PRP therapy is best solution of hair loss treatment. In PRP therapy surgeons inject a Platelet-Rich Plasma injection in your scalp. Which help to boost your hair growth. I think PRP therapy is best for you.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:24 am

Low testosterone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

07 Nov 2017, 4:41 am

I know this this thread was posted in 2009 but I'll post a reply anyways just incase it can help someone else out.
I started losing my hair in my mid 20s. I didn't care at 1st but after a while I did. I researched different treatments & tried a lot of different things. Rogaine is the only topical treatment for hair loss & I haven't noticed much benefit with it so I quit. I didn't notice much side-effects either with it except a little tingling when I put it on sometimes. I also take the med Finsateride which is the generic for Propecia & Proscar. It's the only med approved for male-pattern baldness & requires a prescription. Finasteride works by preventing testosterone from converting into DHT. It potentially has some hormonal side-effects since it affects testosterone. The dose of Finasteride which was approved for MPB was 1mg which is 1/5th the full strength of Finasteride(5mg is the full). What my doc did is when he 1st prescribed it is what alot of docs do which is prescribe the 5mg & tell you to cut it into 4ths. The script was written as 30 1/4th tabs & the pharmacy gave me 30 5mg pills so I've been taking the full strength. When I moved & switched docs I told them I was taking the 5mg strength which was true so I'm still getting the full strength. I would suggest reading up on the potential side-effects of Finasteride & asking your doc for the full strength if your not that concerned about side-effects. I haven't really noticed any side-effects but I'm taking other meds that can affect my testosterone & actually like having it lower. You could also try just taking the low dose for a while & see if you notice any benefit or side-effects. Finasterside & Rogaine work better together. You can also try using Nizoral shampoo. It's an antidandruff shampoo but might have a slight effect on lowering DHT that's on your head. There shouldn't be much side-effects. There's more extreme things you can try but they're more risky & not approved for MPB so there's no point in trying them until you tried the other methods I've mentioned a while & then do alot of research. I'll see about getting a hair transplant or other options when I have some extra money but I don't know when that will happen. I said I would get it 1ce I knew of a place around here or had extra money & then I would research places. The radio has been advertising a place that specializes in different treatment options. I don't know the exact address but I may be able to get to it depending how close it is to a bus stop. But I really don't have the money rite now, well I have some money but my expenses have been more than I get from Social Security Disability for the last few months & I don't see that changing until I'll get some more money coming in :(

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

None of my close relatives are bald but my father went grey in his early 50s and now I'm worried that's going to happen to me too!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:31 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
None of my close relatives are bald but my father went grey in his early 50s and now I'm worried that's going to happen to me too!
Both my grandparents were bald but my dad still has alot of his hair & he's turning 65 this month. There are some things you can do to supposedly reduce grey hair including supplements & a shampoo that's being advertised called Controlled GX or something like that. The supplements didn't work for me but maybe I didn't give them enough time & I quit a couple years ago & havenn't researched since so maybe things are alittle better now.

Grimnir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Do not use rogaine! It lowers your testosterone and gives you all sorts of sexual side effects and only works mildly. Your best bet is to just embrace it like me, grow facial hair and start lifting weight.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

Grimnir wrote:
Do not use rogaine! It lowers your testosterone and gives you all sorts of sexual side effects and only works mildly. Your best bet is to just embrace it like me, grow facial hair and start lifting weight.
Rogaine does NOT cause those issues since it's a topical solution that doesn't have any hormone effects. I think you have Rogaine confused with a hormone med like Finasteride.

Grimnir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2017, 11:55 pm

nick007 wrote:
Grimnir wrote:
Rogaine does NOT cause those issues since it's a topical solution that doesn't have any hormone effects. I think you have Rogaine confused with a hormone med like Finasteride.

Okay, well even if that IS the case, you don't want to take anything that will block DHT either because you can get the same sexual side effects unless it just stops at the scalp.

Srinivasan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2017, 7:47 am

Hair loss is a common problem both in men and women regardless age.So many people hair gives a negative impact. They start getting out away from society as it hurt their self esteem and this in turn hurts their quality of life they live in men.