Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 2:49 am

I really don't like the feel of lotion on my skin at all, it feels slimy and horrible to me and I avoid it whenever I can. It took me forever to find a good acne cream, and the only reason I can deal with that is because it is more of a gel then a cream.
My elbow are really dry right now, and the skin is starting to peel off. It really hurts, yet I don't want to use lotion. Anything else I can use or any lotions that might not feel as slimy to me?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 3:14 am

Gels?

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2010, 3:41 am

It might sound odd, and totally the opposite of what you want, but I don't like a lot of lotions because of the smell and heaven knows what they put in them. Now that I suddenly have more time than I normally have more time than before, I've been experimenting. Shea butter is wonderful on chapped skin.

First you rinse the elbow to clean it, and add water to the skin.
You take a blob, melt it in your palm(it melts at skin temperature), and then apply it to your lips/elbows/etc. Because it's got such a relatively high melting point, it forms an excellent protective layer over the area.

Best bit for me, after a lifetime of trying all kinds of creams, because it's fully natural with no perfumes, alcohols, preservatives, it really has nothing in it to make the cracks sting when you apply it.

If you don't have shea butter, you could try a small amount(quarter of a teaspoon) of olive oil or walnut oil.

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 11:09 am

How about using aloe vera gel?

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2010, 11:32 am

Are you sure you actually need an over the counter lotion? I have suffered from severe skin problems my whole life, and the one thing garanteed to make it worse are skin screams (and wheat), I've tried virtually every cream on the UK market several times over in the last 20 years, prescriptions make it even worse!

i would recomend you look at your diet as a good way to solve skin problems, rather than resorting to harsh chemicals, sometimes something as simple as drinking more water and reducing Sugar and Salt intake can make a huge diffrence. maybe try using a milder soap, also worth finding out what kind of water you have in your area, I find acidic and alkaline both make my skin worse, a mild natrual ph neutralizing soap may help if you dont have neutral water already.

Many on the shelf creams are packed with additives, that I am fairly convinced put your skin into withdrawl when you stop using them, shampoos are a great example of this, they will force your hair to produce huge amounts of grease to protect your scalp, and set up a cycle of 'addiction' to the products, imo

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 10:40 pm

miszt wrote:

Many on the shelf creams are packed with additives, that I am fairly convinced put your skin into withdrawl when you stop using them, shampoos are a great example of this, they will force your hair to produce huge amounts of grease to protect your scalp, and set up a cycle of 'addiction' to the products, imo

I'm don't know how true this is, but my personal experience supports it.

I agree that increasing water consumption helps with dry skin.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:03 pm

I'd suggest body butters. I know there are plenty of lighter lotions that are great as well - look for ones with glycerin as the main moisturiser.

I personally have very dry, sensitive skin, so the more moisturising for me, the better. Eucerin has a lotion that isn't scented that works wonders for my skin. It's very simple and pared-down, and I don't find it too slimy either - maybe give that a shot?

black220
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2010, 1:18 pm

I strongly recommend "Aveeno Advanced Care" skin cream. It's designed for people with eczema and very sensitive skin. I find it doesn't leave a slimy film like the one you describe. You can get it at Target or Walmart, but they usually hide it with the poison ivy treatment rather than with the other skin care products.

Steffy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2010, 4:35 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I really don't like the feel of lotion on my skin at all, it feels slimy and horrible to me and I avoid it whenever I can.

i can totally relate to this. I HATE the feel of lotion. I would rather be itchy and dry than have to use it. It just feels wrong.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2010, 9:58 pm

I hate putting lotion on too. I hate the greasy feeling, I hate how it gets under my nails. The most popular generic Christmas gift for women is scented lotion, and all of mine goes straight to the nearest women's shelter!

I've found that Udderly Smooth (meant for cows, comes in a red/white/black package) absorbs much better than most lotions...has almost no smell, and works REALLY well. It forms kind of a coating so you won't have to put it on as often. You can see it on your hand for about 2 minutes until it absorbs, but it's more solid rather than being greasy.

I always wore neoprene or vinyl gloves when I had to apply lotion to a patient. You might try wearing gloves when you apply one of the high quality lotions other posters have recommended to your elbows. Elbow skin doesn't have a whole lot of nerve endings, so if you avoid getting it on your hands, it might be easier for you.

You could also apply the lotion to a large band-aid or gauze pad, then you wouldn't have to touch it at all with your fingers.

Also, you might want to just treat your elbows at night with something like Vaseline. You'd smear it on, then cover it with part of a sock (cut the toe out of the sock so you can pull it all the way over your arm) so it doesn't get everywhere. Then in the morning, wash it off.

I've also started using olive oil soap, which greatly helps with skin dryness and acne problems. It doesn't overdry your skin like other soaps (Dial, Zest, etc.) do.

Good luck!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:25 pm

aloe vera is good for acne, check out dermalogica on ebay, the hydrating masque and boosters are awesome....

-Pythagoras

Shiznown
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2010, 6:02 pm

virgin coconut oil

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2010, 11:08 pm

I always have dry skin. I use a mild soap, and usually follow with Aveeno lotion for sensitive skin. I also have heard that using good oils in the diet, helps with extremely dry skin. Such as flax or fish oil. I think that what another poster has said, about Shea butter, is a good idea too.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 11:22 pm

I don't know if you get Georges Special Dry Skin Cream back east, it not slimy like most
lotions, its very popular here in Alberta and is use by alot of people in the medical profession