Anyone else angry about the disappearance of cheap BAR soap?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2010, 12:23 am

What's this big "push" on "body wash"? I hate liquid soap when I bathe (and I also hate showering). In the tub I've traditionally used a bar of strong bargain brand DEODORANT soap, but lately I see all the supermarkets and discount stores have virtually discontinued carrying a cheap (3-5 bars for $1.00) pack of bar soap. Sorry, but "liquid soap" is for hair (shampoo) and not for skin, at least where I come from. Sadly, it seems the last provider of the type of cheap soap I like in my area seems to be Family Dollar stores.

black220
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2010, 2:05 am

I'm certainly not going to miss cheap bar soap, because I'm quite allergic to it.

I do see your point though. Liquid soap is just diluted bar soap that costs more, plus you go through it a lot faster. It's the same thing with a lot of other detergents though. People like using liquids because it seems like less work.

I still think you should avoid cheap soap though. Even though you don't break out in hives like I do, it's still not good for your skin. A non detergent based unscented bar soap is probably the way to go.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 2:08 am

Bramble Berry is an online shop that sells soap you can melt and then put into bars, provided you have a mold for them to go in. You can add smells to the soap, though it still smells despite that. They sell variety of soaps. Clear, white, aloe, oat meal, ect. I don't know if they have detergant or not. (I have my doubt there) Since my mother tried them out, we have prefered them since. We have our own favored smells to put in.

If you want to make your own bars, don't heat the soap up too hot, because too many bubbles will get into the soap, and you might make the mold leach slightly, damage the mold, and have a harder time removeing the soap. If you're not alergic to rubbing alcahol, which is found in the bandade section (quite handy), a tiny little spray bottle can be used to spray off the bubbles that remain when you plopp the soap into mold. Arts and craft stores probably sell a mold or two, as well as their own 'make it yourself' soaps.

Course you can just cutt it up into squares to. -.-

Anyway, I have no problem with body wash soap, but I need to have the squeezy ball to use it correctly. ... :) The liquid hand wash, doesn't go into the squeezy ball things (those colorful things that look like balled up scrunchies, with a white rope loop handle), but the body wash does. They only need one little squirt, then to lather it into suds, and then rub that all over the body. If you put the body wash right on yourself, it's probably going to dry your skin faster, and you use alot more of it.

I am not going to argue the Nitrogena soap, because sometimes my body wants to break out zits more. They still need to sell bars, because some of us still use them anyway.

strapshoechris wrote:
Sadly, it seems the last provider of the type of cheap soap I like in my area seems to be Family Dollar stores.

Yeah, oh well. I have seen some dollar stores that were good. Others were sloppy.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:27 am

I can't use soap. I can't touch it. It makes me feel horrible when I touch it.

Therefore I couldn't care less. I just rely on water...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:26 am

Ivory is a fairly inexpensive bar soap. trivia alert-my oldest brother did a tour in Vietnam and told me they used Ivory because it floats so when they had to wash in a stream while on patrol they could keep track of it.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jan 2010, 8:37 am

I use the dove beauty bar

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 9:32 am

alex wrote:
I use the dove beauty bar

I have trouble even using that. It makes my skin feel horrible. Worse than horrible, really.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2010, 11:33 am

Thanks for all the comments. I forgot to mention I happen to have oily skin and like strong deodorant soaps because they leave me feeling clean and dry. So I've not had good luck with "beauty" soaps like Dove, Tone, or Caress, as they seem to add moisture, not strip it off. Also I have some sort of phobia about using a washcloth. When I bathe I like to rub the bar of soap all over myself instead so any form of body wash will be out of the question for me. That "design your own soap" place sounds interesting, but as I'm a super frugal consumer I'm not sure I would want to cough up what they want, unless of course all bargain brand deodorant soaps were to disappeare entirely from the stores.

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2010, 11:02 pm

I'm a Dial person myself and as far as I know Dial is still making their plain orange bar soap. The one bar soap I haven't seen in forever though was LAVA the green one with the bits of lava rock in it... the school I went to as a kid always had it in the art room... kinda miss it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2010, 10:55 pm

I found deodorant soaps too drying, so I have been using Kirk's Castile soap, which I find in my local supermarket, and it is relatively cheap. It doesn't have a strong scent, and doesn't dry my skin out. It lathers up a treat, even if you don't use a washcloth.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2010, 9:28 am

"Dial For Men" is a decent NEW deodorant bar soap, but it is on the expensive side although I've bought it a few times on sale. I've seen the Kirk Castle soap before and given the choice I'd go with Ivory as Hartz pointed out the Kirk's leaves the skin too moisturised. Also Castle soaps do lather well and I suspect that's why they're popular for bag enema cleansings.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 10:15 am

Soap is bad for the skin.

Most shower gels and a good number bar soaps are in fact detergents with a gelling agent.

Animal soap is rarely used in developed countries. I had the unfortunate experience of see large blocks of soap being made in Africa (for washing clothes). It is the rankest spell imaginable, and a mosquito paradise.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 10:53 am

No I don't miss them. I see them often enough in tesco and I much prefer the new body washes. Then again I do have sensitive skin.
At least the body wash doesn't keep slipping out of your hands. :lol:

conan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 5:01 pm

i do quite like the bar soaps. their production is considerably better for the environment too. I've forgotten why though!

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 8:00 pm

I have a hand washing compulsion. I can't use cheap bar soaps. My hands dry, crack and bleed. Its got to have aloe or something in it.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:01 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
Anyway, I have no problem with body wash soap, but I need to have the squeezy ball to use it correctly. ... :) The liquid hand wash, doesn't go into the squeezy ball things (those colorful things that look like balled up scrunchies, with a white rope loop handle)
Those are called Loofahs.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.