Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 7:55 pm

Hey, I've got a few questions about anti - depressants. I'm tired of hating life, and I was thinking about seeing a psychiatrist. I have a few questions about your own experience/knowledge with/of the drugs...

Are their any anti-depressants that don't make you gain weight? Or even loose weight?

Do anti - depressants affect you intellect in any way?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Pinkaspie5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2011, 8:05 pm

Go see a psychiatrist. If there is something missing in your brain, (neurotransmitters) then there is really no reason why you shouldn't get a little extra help to get you to regular levels of those substances. I have not had any experience with them, but as a med student I find it really absurd not to take that help. Of course there are many side effects, weight loss is possible, amongst many others.. but dont you prefer a little change in appearance in exchange of finally being happy. Yes, you can be happy with depression. Dont hesitate, get some help, that is what it is there for! And no, they do not affect you intellectually, just the opposite, you will be emotionally stable, chances are you will become more productive both physically and mentally.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:30 pm

I think generally YMMV when it comes to meds that affect the brain (and even more so if you are on the spectrum). The older drugs (tricyclics) are more known to cause more weight gain, but it's impossible to know if it's going to be 5 lbs. or 50 lbs. And I've heard of SSRI's causing weight loss or weight gain in different people. And similarly for intellectual functioning -- you can't really know until you try it (IME, anyway; the lists of side effects never helped me figure out which side effects I was going to get).

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:42 pm

Pinkaspie5 wrote:
Go see a psychiatrist. If there is something missing in your brain, (neurotransmitters) then there is really no reason why you shouldn't get a little extra help to get you to regular levels of those substances. I have not had any experience with them, but as a med student I find it really absurd not to take that help. Of course there are many side effects, weight loss is possible, amongst many others.. but dont you prefer a little change in appearance in exchange of finally being happy. Yes, you can be happy with depression. Dont hesitate, get some help, that is what it is there for! And no, they do not affect you intellectually, just the opposite, you will be emotionally stable, chances are you will become more productive both physically and mentally.

My thing about weight gain is that I also suffer slightly from Body dysmorphic disorder, especially the varying image of self bit. I used to have a BMI of about 18, and I felt horribly overweight. Now, my BMI is about 20, and I feel really horribly overweight (I lived on about 600 calories a day for five months), and for obvious reasons I wouldn't take any drug that would increase my weight. That's why the weight component is important. I was thinking of something along the lines of an amphetamine derivative.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:48 pm

There's lots of options for not feeling miserable, and they don't necessarily need to be drugs. How are you for, sleep, diet, exercise and relaxation? What does your self talk sound like? Do you tend to negativise things? Are you getting out in nature now and then? What's your social life like? Questions I'd ask.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:09 pm

Moog wrote:
There's lots of options for not feeling miserable, and they don't necessarily need to be drugs. How are you for, sleep, diet, exercise and relaxation? What does your self talk sound like? Do you tend to negativise things? Are you getting out in nature now and then? What's your social life like? Questions I'd ask.

Every other option seems to have been exhausted, and I think six years of what would be classified as "severe depression" (admittedly with one four month interlude) is enough. I've thought about all of the above, tried to change many of the factors, and nothing changed. My life is technically better than ever (in college, got friends, some money), yet I'm as bad as ever.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:16 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:

Every other option seems to have been exhausted, and I think six years of what would be classified as "severe depression" (admittedly with one four month interlude) is enough. I've thought about all of the above, tried to change many of the factors, and nothing changed. My life is technically better than ever (in college, got friends, some money), yet I'm as bad as ever.

Bring on the meds then.

I'm not anti medication. I'm just not pro.

I am 31 and I keep finding better ways to live my life and be happier, I hope you find some too. Metta!

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:19 pm

Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:

Bring on the meds then.

I am 31 and I keep finding better ways to live my life and be happier, I hope you find some too. Metta!

I'm on the same boat as you; I'm aware of the side affects there drugs have, but I might as well chance it...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:23 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:

Bring on the meds then.

I'm on the same boat as you; I'm aware of the side affects there drugs have, but I might as well chance it...

I was in that boat, then I got in the drug boat, then I got out of it, and then I did a bunch of stuff, then healing occurred. I don't consider myself to be depressed anymore, but I have been severely depressed and anhedonic for most of my life.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:28 pm

Quote:
I was in that boat, then I got in the drug boat, then I got out of it, and then I did a bunch of stuff, then healing occurred. I don't consider myself to be depressed anymore, but I have been severely depressed and anhedonic for most of my life.

Were the pills not effective?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:54 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

Were the pills not effective?

They were, temporarily, then they made me worse. So I got off them. I mistrusted them anyway, they made me feel weird.

But that was just me. Many people use such medication for years with no major side effects.

rabchild

08 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm

*I* tried many without much success until my Dr though of Lamictal. You have to follow the
directions carefully as you titrate the dosage upward, but a month in i started noticing a
difference and 2 months is I felt better than I had in years. I found myself taking social
chances I would never have before and my friends ALL commented how I seemed GREATLY
improved. I can only describe the first year on it as an emotional awakening.

But that's *my* experience with it, and only describes how it affects me. I do still have some
very down periods but even then I have a better perspective in that i'm more aware it will
pass and all I have to do is feel it and move through it.

I don't know if that's helpful, but it might be worth looking into.

JakeGronie
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2011, 11:57 pm

I'm on anti-depressants and they've helped, but finding a good therapist and/or support group will go a much longer way in fighting depression.

Pinkaspie5

09 Apr 2011, 9:31 am

Oh!! Well, they will most probably make you loose weight! Not gain weight so you dont really have to follow! I am pro drugs... See.. When things in the brain are missing... You wont get them from excersice, or food, or therapy.. You just wont! Sur it might help.. A bit! Its science! Fortunately for all of us suffering from anything nowadays... People have studied their butts off to come up with artificial solutions that D O work, scientifically proven.. They should do you no harm when administered correctly! Proper dosage and substance, cause there are many types of pills you can take depdending on the defficiency you might have. So your doctor will have to assess you properly to determine what would be the best fit for you! And group therapy, or going to a psychologist helps, too.. It works when you combine it with drugs! Dont worry, you can look up information on various anti depressants on the internet... Side effects and such! If you have any specific questions i,d be glad to answer! I insist! You should get help, there is absolutely no need to keep on suffering

Pinkaspie5

09 Apr 2011, 9:39 am

*you dont reallyhave to worry, my ipad is a bit crazy...ha

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2011, 10:41 am

I know natural anti-depressants fish oil and vitamin D3 are thought to help with weight loss. A couple articles about that from some doctor's blogs I read.

"Omega-3 fats found to have antidepressant effects in women"
http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/07/30/omeg ... -in-women/

"Fish oil makes you happy: Psychological distress and omega-3 index"
http://www.heartscanblog.org/2009/10/fi ... gical.html

HDL: “H” is for “happy”
http://www.heartscanblog.org/2008/10/hd ... happy.html

How to raise HDL
http://www.heartscanblog.org/2008/05/hd ... mmies.html