Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 6:00 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Did you forget to say clean your bikes ? I did just that yesterday :D it was dirtier than a Vietnamese dirt track in a monsoon summer now it's as clean as a whistle (the fixie) aluminium. aka city bike * I never ride my steel bikes in the rain I'm even to paranoid to wash them with suds does that make me a lameo ? :)

when I 1st got it (mentally ill at the time ) I I went for a 200 km ride (120 miles ??? ) I wont be doing that again!

ie I think I was more sore than tired , come to think of it I'm not sure if I will take a look at a Caad 10 :? They sure look nice though and is a lot of bike for the money :)

My commuter bike is pretty embarassing right now, after being ridden all winter. I ride my steel frame in the winter. It's only the chain that needs to be replaced and the caliper joints need to be cleaned and adjusted. Also, some jackass stole my seat so I've been riding seatless. I actually like riding seatless; I somehow feel more stable. I hear it's bad for my knees, so sooner or later I need to get a new seat.

120 miles isn't that bad. I bet you could do that more often if you built up to it.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 7:29 pm

Thanks , having said that I think it's not a bad effort at the risk of repeating myself it was a fixie , anyways I'm not super hard core I'm even to :oops: overtaking people on bikes 2 X the value of mine especially so if their hardcore , sometimes it's hard to tell when theirs a middle ground, often when I'm riding I feel like I'm back at high school if you know what I mean :wink:

OH evil thief's , tell me about it the bikes are clogging up the living room :) and I'm to worried if I put them in the garage (basement parking) the insurance wont / may not :? pay up if some mongrel does a job on me, I simply do not trust the insurance companies at all come to think of it I trust no one :) when we had the floods their a few months back the insurance companies called it "daylight flooding" to avoid payment I'm not sure if they got away with that party trick who cares what and where the water came from flooding is flooding , I keep hearing the government will "crack down" on rouge insurance companies it wont happen, what use are the government ?

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2011, 3:45 pm

I own a battery-operated bicycle and I take it out with my dad every weekend. The battery is powered by cadmium and it has to be recharged for 5 hours everytime I come back from a ride. There are some electric bikes that are more powerful and faster than mine, probably I have to pump harder to ride faster, but I can still get around without much effort.

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2011, 11:55 pm

I'm into bikes! Riding keeps me almost sane even when life is at its worst. Each year, I ride for the AIDS/Life Cycle which takes what amounts to a rolling tent city of 2,000 cyclists and 500 roadies on a seven-day tour from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The hard part isn't the miles for me, but coping with life in camp once it's time to get of the bike, but this community taught me that encouragement and positivity can gain a lot more ground in people's strength and efforts and ability than criticism. Great lessons for me!

I'm about to set out again on June 5th, and that means I'm hitting up everyone I know (and don't know) for donations. If I can just get 200 people to each give me $5 I'll reach my fundraising minimum. The money goes to pay for medications for people who can't otherwise afford them, prevention programs and testing (especially for inner city youths, many of whom are homeless). I figure it can't hurt to ask here...since at least this audience will realize how hard it can be for me to endure the sensory issues of living right up against a sea of humanity with nothing but a flimsy sheet of nylon and my earplugs for privacy. And even if no one here donates, I guess I want you to know that you are stronger than you believe, because that's what this experience taught me.

If you can help me out with a sponsorship, I would appreciate it. If not, I hope you'll at least send me some Aspie love and encouragement as I prep myself to enter tent city again for the most intense experience of my life. If it didn't help other people so much, I don't think I'd be able to do it. http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/amyrides

Billi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2011, 1:33 am

Bicycling is my main interest. I commute 10 miles a day to work and home, plus shopping and errands. I also have gone on multiday solo bike camping trips, and have ridden half a dozen centuries (100mile rides) I cyclocross raced last year (love it) and and am doing a local race series with criteriums, time trials and road races this year. I am working to be a stronger competitor in the state cyclocross series this fall. I am a member of, and ride with a touring club, a competitive cycling club, and a mountain bike club. I am a nationally certified bike education instructor, (LCI) and teach bike education with my cities bike advocacy organization. I rode 4000 miles last year, not including offroad.

Cycling keeps me physically healthy, reduces stress, and helps keep my mental state a little more balanced. I am able to socialize within the cycling community pretty well. No one thinks it's unusual for me to talk about bicycles and cycling all the time. I still have times where I don't feel comfortable, but when I am riding with a group, be it an easy 25mile social ride, or in the thick of a race, I am not at all self-conscious. That makes it easier for me to meet people, and then socialize with them at events like cookouts and meetings. Today I helped out at a kids bike skills rodeo, the second one this summer, and I am doing on road skills with adults next weekend. I seem to be able to relate my interest well through teaching.

I love working on bikes and have an 84 Raliegh Elkhorn mountain tour bike I use for a commuter that I built from a damaged bare frame. My other bikes are a Giant TCX2 cyclocross bike, which is also my road and race bike, I just switch tires. and the newest one is my mountain bike a Cannondale Trail 4 29er hardtail. If any of you are in, or get down to the Hostess City of the South, send me a message and we will go ride.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 8:54 pm

I've a blue Huffy 26 inch Cranbrook * I think that's how it's spelled * the only problem that I've with it, is that the left pedal came completly off while I was riding it. :cry:
- edit- I just received my bike back. :)

Last edited by Brainfre3ze_93 on 20 May 2011, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixiedixie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 6:58 am

On them Yes, into them ? I've been riding Bikes since i was 3 (a 3 wheeler, then 2). I've owned 3 Motorbikes too inc an Honda CM 250

Baynes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2011, 7:50 am

Sadly, I haven't owned one since I was about 13. I used to love riding mine, but when it got stolen I just never got a new one. I would love to get one now, but the place where I live now isn't very bicycle friendly. It's too hilly to be able to just get out and cruise for fun, and the road system here would be too much of a PITA for a bicyclist to navigate safely (at least compared to where I originally come from).

I was strongly considering buying a bicycle to commute to and work from on until I discovered that it's simply not possible without taking the bicycle on buses at some point due to the fact that getting to work involves going through tunnels and over bridges that are only open to motor traffic.

I've since then moved onto motorcycles, however. =)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 May 2011, 8:06 am

Recently York, PA installed a couple of bike lanes and we are getting complaints and conflicts with car owners. Our city buses have bicycle racks on the front of them
I haven't had occasion to use them yet. We also have a 21 mile bike trail that extends from York to the Pennsylvania / Maryland border and then another 20 miles
south to Cockeyesville MD. I have ridden the whole length of this trail a few times.

http://bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2011, 8:19 pm

me nerdie road cyclist
cant do any soccer anymore due to wrecked knee

I ride a Chinese carbon frame I bought in 2007
equipped with Ultegra parts and bought a Powertap wheelset last year
I ride solo couple times during the week 5am on a nearby hill
and on Saturday go with a large group ride for 3-4hours

Baynes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 May 2011, 8:21 am

richie wrote:
Recently York, PA installed a couple of bike lanes and we are getting complaints and conflicts with car owners. Our city buses have bicycle racks on the front of them
I haven't had occasion to use them yet. We also have a 21 mile bike trail that extends from York to the Pennsylvania / Maryland border and then another 20 miles
south to Cockeyesville MD. I have ridden the whole length of this trail a few times.

http://bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm

Only a select few of our city buses have bike racks on them. The routes that run to and from parks, namely. Otherwise commuting by bicycle might actually be viable.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 6:40 pm

Congratulations Cadel Evans on his Tour victory it was his lucky year in a year of crashes,.

Wonder how long it will take before BMC make a limited edition Cadlt Evans line ? I was seriously tempted by their bikes though :a " ridden by Cadel " product placement put me off, it was the aluminum model Ultegra /105 mix for gods sake , and I didn't like the branding splashed all over it :twisted: and the "unusual " frame design kind of put me off , I suspect it will be faddish and dated in a couple years time. *

I like my bikes pared back so in 10 years time it still looks good I suspect my Kona Kapu will be such a bike I'm a bit of a retro grouch in that regard for that reason I'll pass on the VN and build my own :D " HAASA" which is made in Taiwan and is meant to be " |cheap and cheerful" brand make a titanium frame off the shelf without branding :) , also I'll add Athena with silver alloy stems can't bear to part with $ 100's off dollars on Titanium stems etc (mighty tempted though) plain silver rims with a Charge saddle/bar tape in faux leather brown (I don't eat or wear animals) actually it looks convincing and it's most defiantly a cheap and cheerful seat / tape about the only bad thing I've read about it is the Charge logo wears away quite quickly.

I think this irrational aversion to Carbon dates back to the late 80's or 90's bit beyond your time OP when I saw some spectacular CF failure , back in the day Mountain bikers you to say "friends don't let friends ride carbon" since I have no friends you can go ride whatever you want what do I care . :P

* not all bicycling fads are bad I suppose I'm still fond of the over sized aluminum road bikes in garish green from Klein , a fellow cycle messenger worker had one in the 90's and I was in awe of it, not a very practical bike for the job though he was a bit mamelish (his middle aged now so his gradute mammal now me suspect ?

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 12:00 am

Yeah a big contrats to that man, he's not an easy character to like, but I have nothing but respect for him, he gives his all.

On the CF thing I hear ya. I was riding to work once and came across a head on crash between an older guy on his earlyish CF road bike and a young guy on an old MTB. The forks on the road bike had sheared cleanly off at the crown and the guy had hit the ground with his face and had a broken nose and bloody mouth as a result. I inspected the forks and the carbon was literraly paper thin at that point. Now I remember crashing into a car and a kerb on two seperate occasions with steel forks and they just bent, much much better.

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

Cadel has done all of Australia proud. I just wish I was back home so I could celebrate it with everyone else (although ironically I am much closer to the actual event - just over the border in Italy at the moment)

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 6:22 pm

nostromo wrote:
Yeah a big contrats to that man, he's not an easy character to like, but I have nothing but respect for him, he gives his all.

On the CF thing I hear ya. I was riding to work once and came across a head on crash between an older guy on his earlyish CF road bike and a young guy on an old MTB. The forks on the road bike had sheared cleanly off at the crown and the guy had hit the ground with his face and had a broken nose and bloody mouth as a result. I inspected the forks and the carbon was literraly paper thin at that point. Now I remember crashing into a car and a kerb on two seperate occasions with steel forks and they just bent, much much better.

Really ? I would have thought he would be some where in the middle in that regard their are far far worse character's , Stuart O'grady, Robbie Mcwean (head butting another rider what up with that ? ) And don't get me started on Lance Armstrong .....

Though I suppose most cyclists are disliked in this country their seen as eccentric weirdos that hold up traffic or elite blow hards.

And if your a motorist that doesn't respect riders how dare you celebrate his victory it's a laugh watching non cycling people rejoice in it . :P

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

I love biking and want to train for a bicycle tour next year. I love going around town. I never drive a car anymore