Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

I'm vegetarian again after giving up for about a year or so. I really like it and it makes way more sense to me than eating meat, but when you're a male vegetarian you get so much sh*t from people. That's taken me a while to get used to.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 5:54 pm

I am a zombie vegan; I only eat GGGrrrrRRAAAIIIiiinnNNnnsSs!

:lol:

Seriously, I'm trying to shift to a veg-heavy diet, but my family couldn't be made to eat anything green, even if it were St. Paddy's day!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2012, 6:02 pm

Hi, I am a strict vegetarian and quite nearly vegan (not perfect, but overwhelmingly vegan for the most part).

I have been vegan for about a decade now. :)

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2012, 1:56 am

Fnord wrote:
I am a zombie vegan; I only eat GGGrrrrRRAAAIIIiiinnNNnnsSs!

:lol:

Seriously, I'm trying to shift to a veg-heavy diet, but my family couldn't be made to eat anything green, even if it were St. Paddy's day!

Hahahaha, that joke is funny :D lol

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

I used to be vegan..bad mistake for me.I wasn't getting enough protein and healthy fats,was going on highs from to much carbohydrates in beans and grains,my body had a hard time processing all the insulin from them.Best thing that ever happened was a fellow yoga teacher telling me to go eat some fish or meat.I ate two salmon fillets in three hours.My body thanked me so much.Now I eat organic local eggs and wild salmon.Aside from overeating,my body is feeling so much better.I tell you,when i would have VEGA protein powder in a smoothie for breakfast,then beans and grains for lunch and dinner,every two hours I would be exhausted and have to take a n hour long nap.I had terrible brain fog,acne,depression,anxiety,indigestion...but wait,there's more! I'm allergic to nuts and gluten! oh wow!
:D 8O I am just grateful to be alive and to be nourishing myself as I need to be.
Humans are designed to consume and digest protein,more than can be found in beans,legumes,nuts and seeds.Really,only the past century have we messed ourselves up with so many processed foods,including soy.I felt the worst when I was vegan.You have to really do a thorough job of cross eating to provide your body with enough nutrients while vegan,plus it's a lot more expensive.I respect the aim of the vegan movement,to nut harm animals etc,but that is not helping my body to so.
I'll never forget the visceral reaction my body had when eating that first salmon fillet.I practically cried,my body was so deprived and so thankful.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 3:24 am

I've had friends staying over so I've been making a lot of sashimi/sushi and the other night I made grilled lobster ponzu for dinner but I couldn't even take one bite.

I guess I'm mostly vegetarian, not quite vegan but definitely no meat/dairy/eggs. Out of laziness, of course. I'm too lazy to eat real food. ;)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Mackica wrote:
I used to be vegan..bad mistake for me.I wasn't getting enough protein and healthy fats,was going on highs from to much carbohydrates in beans and grains,my body had a hard time processing all the insulin from them.Best thing that ever happened was a fellow yoga teacher telling me to go eat some fish or meat.I ate two salmon fillets in three hours.My body thanked me so much.Now I eat organic local eggs and wild salmon.Aside from overeating,my body is feeling so much better.I tell you,when i would have VEGA protein powder in a smoothie for breakfast,then beans and grains for lunch and dinner,every two hours I would be exhausted and have to take a n hour long nap.I had terrible brain fog,acne,depression,anxiety,indigestion...but wait,there's more! I'm allergic to nuts and gluten! oh wow!
:D 8O I am just grateful to be alive and to be nourishing myself as I need to be.
Humans are designed to consume and digest protein,more than can be found in beans,legumes,nuts and seeds.Really,only the past century have we messed ourselves up with so many processed foods,including soy.I felt the worst when I was vegan.You have to really do a thorough job of cross eating to provide your body with enough nutrients while vegan,plus it's a lot more expensive.I respect the aim of the vegan movement,to nut harm animals etc,but that is not helping my body to so.
I'll never forget the visceral reaction my body had when eating that first salmon fillet.I practically cried,my body was so deprived and so thankful.

No evidence suggests we were "designed" at all, and protein is abundant in the plant kingdom.
You not getting enough protein and healthy fats had to do more with your own personal food choices (living off protein powder and two meals of "beans and grains" is extremely unhealthy),
since vegetarian (indeed, vegan) diets are actually considered more healthful by the field of human nutrition.

I'm personally about to embark on a vegan, low-carb experiment, after having a lot of success staying away from starchy foods.

Boyfriend and I are vegan, and we save a lot of money that way.

to his Interest."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm

I like to grow my own plum tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and onions and make chili with pinto beans. If I make this everyday and eat some, it benefits me. Not only do I lose weight, I also end up with more energy and no carb crash feeling. My muscles do not ache when I work out. I have more endurance. It's the best meal I have found. Vegetarian chili made mostly with veggies I grow in the back yard. I have lost so much weight eating this everyday.

It's also very cheap if you grow your own veggies. Next season I am going to plant a lot more than I did this year and maybe try to can but I dunno. Canning can get expensive and complicated. Maybe I will freeze the extra tomatoes instead? These Roma tomato plants produce a lot of tomatoes.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I like to grow my own plum tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and onions and make chili with pinto beans. If I make this everyday and eat some, it benefits me. Not only do I lose weight, I also end up with more energy and no carb crash feeling. My muscles do not ache when I work out. I have more endurance. It's the best meal I have found. Vegetarian chili made mostly with veggies I grow in the back yard. I have lost so much weight eating this everyday.

It's also very cheap if you grow your own veggies. Next season I am going to plant a lot more than I did this year and maybe try to can but I dunno. Canning can get expensive and complicated. Maybe I will freeze the extra tomatoes instead? These Roma tomato plants produce a lot of tomatoes.

That sounds wonderful!! !
I made a spicy salsa for the boyfriend last week using only jalapenos he'd grown. Nothing beats that feeling, I don't think.
My mom also makes a mean vegetarian chili with a dozen kinds of beans.
Next year, we hope to plant all sorts of veggies to help cut down on grocery costs.

to his Interest."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I made a spicy salsa for the boyfriend last week using only jalapenos he'd grown. Nothing beats that feeling, I don't think.
Next year, we hope to plant all sorts of veggies to help cut down on grocery costs.

That's awesome! Another great thing about growing your own is the amount of activity it generates. It's something to do and takes time and energy. My plants didn't appreciate the heat wave but they have rebounded and are ready to produce a mini season with lots of blooms. I just hope the bees survived the heat and are around to help the plants along. I haven't seen a lot of bees lately and that's troublesome.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That's awesome! Another great thing about growing your own is the amount of activity it generates. It's something to do and takes time and energy. My plants didn't appreciate the heat wave but they have rebounded and are ready to produce a mini season with lots of blooms. I just hope the bees survived the heat and are around to help the plants along. I haven't seen a lot of bees lately and that's troublesome.

Beau has a few green tomatoes still coming in on his plants, and four mini-watermelons which I hope will have time to mature.

Fun story:
a year ago, my mother wins an enormous (think wheelbarrow full) sized watermelon at an auction.
I'm the "Family Plant Eater" (I think every family has one) so naturally she gives it to me.
I'm not the neatest when eating watermelon, so I would gradually eat it while sitting on my back steps, spitting the seeds into my flowerbed.
Then the bf, who grew up on a farm, started coming round more a few weeks ago, and it wasn't too long before he said "Uh..so you know you have a watermelon growing by your door, right?"
I guess one or more of the seeds I spat out had germinated, and, sure enough, now there's a watermelon vine flowering there which I didn't know about. :oops:
I haven't tended it or anything all season, and we're going to try to move it to a pot and then indoors for the winter hopefully, since it's progeny of such an impressive melon.

/endblog

to his Interest."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

Wow that's a giant watermelon! I didn't know the seeds could grow plants with all the hybrids and GMCs. I have been buying little packages of sliced watermelon with a couple of slices each for around a buck. I cannot eat an entire melon and the ones without seeds aren't as good as the ones with. The personal melons are seedless and cost about four dollars each while a local grocery stores sells slices on a tray wrapped in plastic for only one dollar and none of it gets wasted.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 12:33 am

Well, the auction was for their local volunteer fire department- rural community. I'm sure it came from someone's garden. I agree that the ones with seeds taste much better- the amount they charge for half a melon at the big box groceries is criminal.

to his Interest."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:33 am

I agree about the half melons at the big box. They are expensive and they do not look too fresh. The store I get the slices from is owned by a local man and it's been around for years. They don't charge much for a couple of slices. It's a great bargain.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 2:02 am

I'm not a vegetarian, but in the summertime, when there is so much fresh produce around, I could easily go months without meat. A vegetable plate is great. Of course beans and greens are boiled with fatback in the water, but I've never eaten the meat in them, never liked it, it's too fatty.

I also like some vegetarian dishes. I really enjoy tofu but nobody else here will eat it. The same with lentil stroganoff. I love it but I'm the only one who eats it here, so I don't make it.

My husband and I both worked at a vegetarian restaurant for a year when he took a year off from doing electrical work. He was the manager of it and the cook and I was the cashier. I learned a lot of really good recipes there, and he liked them too, but for some reason at home he didn't want them.

It's much cheaper to eat vegetarian, and honestly if I were cooking just for myself, I would buy a lot less meat than I do. I'd probably eat it only about once a week. I live with people who have to have it at every meal though. So the grocery budget is higher.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

I am a vegan. A real vegan, not just on a vegan diet.

Mackica wrote:
I used to be vegan..bad mistake for me.I wasn't getting enough protein and healthy fats,was going on highs from to much carbohydrates in beans and grains,

Were you eating whole grains, or mostly simple carbohydrates like white bread, white rice, and potatoes? And how much did you have vegetables?