Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Aug 2012, 4:31 pm

I'm 24 and my facial hair is still really patchy even though most guys have all their facial hair before they turn 21. I remember thinking when I was 20 that I would just have to wait another year or two for it to come in, but it still hasn't. My face doesn't really look that different from then because it's coming in so slowly. Is this a common Aspie problem? Do I have to just wait and be patient or could there be something else wrong with me?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

Shaving seems to help hair grow faster or thicker, but I have also heard that is untrue. I don't think anything is wrong. Some people just don't grow much hair on certain parts of them. I don't have much bodyhair outside of little tiny hairs that never get longer, never had to shave it in my life. If I didn't shave my face from time to time, I would probably have slower or thinner hair growth.

Last edited by Pondering on 26 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

Does your father/ grandfather have a lot of facial hair? * just curious * sometimes it can be hereditary, sometimes it's something else.

My dad has alot of facial hair, but he hasn't shaved in decades. Whereas, I constantly shave my beard, and only save my mustache from the same fate.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Some can grow a full beard at 15, others cannot until they're 35. I had very little until my late teens and I can now grow a full beard; the goatee areea even connects to the stache area. Beard patterns generally run in the family.

Various areas of your face have varying degrees of androgen sensitivity.

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Does your father/ grandfather have a lot of facial hair? * just curious * sometimes it can be hereditary, sometimes it's something else.

My dad has alot of facial hair, but he hasn't shaved in decades. Whereas, I constantly shave my beard, and only save my mustache from the same fate.

My grandpas and my dad all have/had what I would consider normal levels of facial hair. Of course, I don't know how long it took for them to develop it.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2012, 8:21 pm

Is it just your face or you have lack of growth on your chest, legs, ect

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

I am 19 and can barely grow an excuse for a mustache, though I do get patches here and there. I know non-aspies who are the same though, so not an issue there.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2012, 4:33 am

And what about rest of the body?
(Body hair For example me - I lack in "facial hair" area - but my legs and arms... someone could think that I'm gorilla :) )

If the problem affects the entire body:
have you ever checked your testosterone level?

Low testosterone level is quite common problem in modern world

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 10:57 am

I'm a late grower too: I only had to shave once a week until about the age of 25 and only recently have started to develop full chest hair. Of course, the hair on my head is starting to rapidly thin out at the same time!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

I knew a guy that had a large birthmark on his face that made it overly reddish looking, and he grew little or no facial hair because of it.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 6:47 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Some can grow a full beard at 15, others cannot until they're 35. I had very little until my late teens and I can now grow a full beard; the goatee areea even connects to the stache area. Beard patterns generally run in the family.

Various areas of your face have varying degrees of androgen sensitivity.

I got my beard a few weeks before my 15 th birthday, and it fully developed by about 15.5.

But it stops growing within like 2 inches.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Do you look young for your age at 24?

I'm 23 and most people think I'm close to 35+. :roll: I don't like it.

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2012, 8:56 pm

To answer a few questions, I have a good amount of hair everywhere else. I do look young for my age though, but apparently I'm catching up a bit. People are starting to think I look like I'm in my mid 20's and bouncers haven't given suspicious looks at my card for a few years now. I'm not that muscular, so I might have low T, but my dad and my brother aren't either and I have a bit more muscle than I used too.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

A lot of it depends on your ethnic background. My husband is English, Irish and Scottish with a little Indian and he's as hairy as a bear. I'm half Italian, and Irish, Rom and Indian and I don't have much hair at all. My two boys don't have much hair either. No chest hair and my oldest is barely growing facial hair around the edges and he's 23. I hear it's the Indian that causes it. Do you have any Indian in you?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

I'm mostly German and Lithuanian but with a bit of French, English, Hungarian, Scottish, and Irish too.

UnBored
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2012, 3:26 am

Could be worse, it could come out ginger :(.