Page 11 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

Kurgan wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:
When are you going to stop proving you don't have a clue about the US?
Gas prices are ranging anywhere from $3.40-$5.45 that I know of depending upon state.

Gas prices are hovering around $10 per gallon in Stavanger, Aberdeen or any European city with an oil based economy. Be glad your politicians actually fund you gas consumption.

Americans who complain about gas prices are free to swith to an inline-4 Honda Civic any day.

Bro y u so unsympathetic 2 my plight. u kno i need dat dere Cadillac Escalade to drive my kids to school. gosh.

Compacts like the VW Golf are suprisingly roomy. :P

But my kids are 200lbs.... :(

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Sorry, I haven't read the 11 pages of posts, so some or all of this may already have been said:

There are a lot of reasons people can be overweight. I recently saw an article in a health publication (online) that listed 50 different reasons overweight can occur. Many of them were health issues. Poor people can't afford the same level of health care that people with more money can, so that might be a big part of it. Besides which, being poor is depressing and stressful, both common reasons that people may overeat. Additionally if someone is working and poor, they probably have a job where they're not treated too well or have to work lousy hours or more than one job and have no time to plan proper meals. They may not be able to afford a car and wind up spending a lot of time commuting (public transportation, where I live, is the SLOW way to get anywhere) and, again, not have time to prepare healthy meals. Prices of proteins and highly nutritious fruits and veggies are higher than the prices of starchy foods. My list could go on and on.

This is exactly what I was saying. =) But don't worry about I'm just glad to have someone who agrees with me. I am very interested in oppression and how it intertwines with other issues.

The bus! Don't let me get started! I have to take it everyday to and from school... and yes it is slow and often late and I often encounter many creepy guys. I see a lot of people in poverty. And I'm not necessarily poor I'm just BROKE because I'm a college student.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
oh, and don't forget - that minimum wage earner may be supporting a family.

So, if I understand it correctly, it's cheaper to buy sh***y fast "food" instead of whole ingredients?

somewhat cheaper, but also faster and more convenient, yes.

So a combo of being broke, pressed for time and lazy in other words?

i wouldn't say lazy, no. they face difficult challenges, and until you or i have walked in their shoes (and lived in their body) i don't think we can come to that conclusion.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

1000Knives wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

So, if I understand it correctly, it's cheaper to buy sh***y fast "food" instead of whole ingredients?

I've proved conclusively in this thread numerous times it is not "cheaper." Faster and more convenient, maybe so, but it's a case of shortsightedness to do that.

erm, no you have not proven that. i can get completely full for less than $2 at McD's. i can't cook a filling and balanced meal for that cheaply. FYI, i do not live in the Unites States, so my food prices are higher.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm

also FYI, here in Canada on some days it took me 2.5 hours to get home from work on the bus the winter before last. that extreme situation only lasted a couple of weeks, but in the winter it can take over an hour to travel 3 miles.

many parents actually find it impossible to take public transit to work. since most of the people who have posted how easy it is to manage homemade meals don't actually have kids, i'll break it down. a person working a standard office job, with their kids in the non-neighbourhood school (most kids do not go to neighbourhood schools here as we have open boundaries), and working downtown, they would need a schedule something like this.

wake up at 6:00 a.m., get ready for work/kids ready for school
take the bus at 7:00 a.m. (or earlier) to get to before-school care or daycare for 7:30
take bus to work at 7:30 to arrive at 8:30 (hopefully an hour is enough time, but if you work downtown it might not be)
leave work at 4:30 to pick up kids
get kids at 5:30 p.m.
take the bus to arrive home at 6:00 p.m.

^^^that's already 12 hours since waking up, with a lot of wasted time on public transportation. if parents don't have cars here, they are essentially screwed. i have had many friends that had to turn down really good jobs because the public transportation didn't allow them enough time to do all of the above. the logistics can be a nightmare.

i should add that, by the time the dishes are done, dinner will have eaten up another hour of that day - at the very least. then helping with homework, chores, making lunches for the next day (we don't have school lunches in the lower grades here). it's an insane schedule, and there is very little time left over at the end of the day. parents look for anything at all that can buy time here and there (including owning a vehicle or getting fast food to eat). i don't think that many people posting here really understand the pressures that parents face.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:04 am

hyperlexian wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

I've proved conclusively in this thread numerous times it is not "cheaper." Faster and more convenient, maybe so, but it's a case of shortsightedness to do that.

erm, no you have not proven that. i can get completely full for less than $2 at McD's. i can't cook a filling and balanced meal for that cheaply. FYI, i do not live in the Unites States, so my food prices are higher.

Yes you can if you have a refrigerator to store meat in. Or leftovers.

Here's one!
Chicken leg, 69c (up to a dollar or so depending on locale)
Rice, 20c (assuming a cup cooked)
Beans, 30c (1/3 of one pound bag)
Seasonings - ??? Let's say 20c and be generous.
Add a potato on the side, too? Why not. Add like 10c.

No veggies, but no veggies in the McDonalds meal either (not counting a slice of lettuce.) Spinach, fresh, was $1lb. Generally other greens are like that. As far as being completely full, it takes like 5 dollar menu sandwiches at McDonalds to do that for me, whereas what I posted as a recipe would probably fill me up.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:14 am

where are the veggies? that is not a balanced meal. and yes, i get veggies in my McD's - tomato and lettuce and onions.

you can't get a chicken leg for 69c in Canada. 8O that is hella cheap. you have to presoak the beans (in a couple of changes of water), and there isn't time for that. rice isn't all that healthy either. you can make a better choice with brown rice but that takes 50 minutes to cook, that is not convenient.

i eat healthily, but it is obvious to me why many people don't. your meal is semi-healthy, but less filling and much less convenient than fast food. if it was a 15 minute meal, maybe. but not a 50 minute meal.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

hyperlexian wrote:
where are the veggies? that is not a balanced meal. and yes, i get veggies in my McD's - tomato and lettuce and onions.

you can't get a chicken leg for 69c in Canada. 8O that is hella cheap. you have to presoak the beans (in a couple of changes of water), and there isn't time for that. rice isn't all that healthy either. you can make a better choice with brown rice but that takes 50 minutes to cook, that is not convenient.

i eat healthily, but it is obvious to me why many people don't. your meal is semi-healthy, but less filling and much less convenient than fast food. if it was a 15 minute meal, maybe. but not a 50 minute meal.

Brown rice takes a half hour for me. Onions I don't even consider a veggie really. Just a spice. I don't think a tiny amount of lettuce and tomato on a sandwich really count as veggies in a meal. It seems like calling ketchup a vegetable. But I did give an option for veggies.

I never change the water presoaking beans. Just overnight, rinse them off, cook. If cook time really was of the essence, that's why crockpots exist, just put it on overnight or throughout the day and your food is done. Crockpots cost like $15.

As far as things being harder. Well, almost everything that's right in life is pretty much the harder decision to do. I'll leave it at that.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 12:43 am

hyperlexian wrote:
also FYI, here in Canada on some days it took me 2.5 hours to get home from work on the bus the winter before last. that extreme situation only lasted a couple of weeks, but in the winter it can take over an hour to travel 3 miles.

many parents actually find it impossible to take public transit to work. since most of the people who have posted how easy it is to manage homemade meals don't actually have kids, i'll break it down. a person working a standard office job, with their kids in the non-neighbourhood school (most kids do not go to neighbourhood schools here as we have open boundaries), and working downtown, they would need a schedule something like this.

wake up at 6:00 a.m., get ready for work/kids ready for school
take the bus at 7:00 a.m. (or earlier) to get to before-school care or daycare for 7:30
take bus to work at 7:30 to arrive at 8:30 (hopefully an hour is enough time, but if you work downtown it might not be)
leave work at 4:30 to pick up kids
get kids at 5:30 p.m.
take the bus to arrive home at 6:00 p.m.

^^^that's already 12 hours since waking up, with a lot of wasted time on public transportation. if parents don't have cars here, they are essentially screwed. i have had many friends that had to turn down really good jobs because the public transportation didn't allow them enough time to do all of the above. the logistics can be a nightmare.

i should add that, by the time the dishes are done, dinner will have eaten up another hour of that day - at the very least. then helping with homework, chores, making lunches for the next day (we don't have school lunches in the lower grades here). it's an insane schedule, and there is very little time left over at the end of the day. parents look for anything at all that can buy time here and there (including owning a vehicle or getting fast food to eat). i don't think that many people posting here really understand the pressures that parents face.

I see parents like that everyday when I ride the bus. I really appreciate them especially knowing how my mom did this with me and my sisters when we were little.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:54 am

1000Knives, you're right - the veggies at McD's on burgers is scanty. but the meal the person makes at home has to be healthier than the meal at McD's (otherwise there is no point), so it needs to be balanced and contain all the recommended veggies and such. it supposed to be a healthy alternative. it should also be tasty, but that's pretty individual.

some people have to change the water in the beans because their digestive systems can't handle the fermentation in the colon. it's fussy to have to soak them, especially if water changes need to be done. that's part of the point behind fast food (or even quick boxed meals at home) - they are fast meals for chronically exhausted parents to prepare.

it's more work, and more expensive to prepare enough for a person to actually be full (our food costs about 30% more than yours does, as well). at McD's, a person can eat 1/4lb of meat for cheap, and it is very filling.

i have a crockpot and have never used it because it just moves the prep time to the morning, when i didn't want to rush around. the last thing i want to do at 6:30 am is start preparing dinner. if i feel that way and i only work part-time and my daughter is an adult, i can't imagine how a parent of younglings feels.

you can go ahead and say it's "right" to eat a certain way, but that's not really helping anyone, is it?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:57 am

Virginiarw wrote:
I see parents like that everyday when I ride the bus. I really appreciate them especially knowing how my mom did this with me and my sisters when we were little.

:heart: yeah i feel for them. i don't have a license (can't even ride a bike) and it was hard when my daughter was little. family members really judged me for that, because i had to rely on my husband (and other people... like them) in a city that is heavily designed for vehicles, not public transportation.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

hyperlexian wrote:

i wouldn't say lazy, no. they face difficult challenges, and until you or i have walked in their shoes (and lived in their body) i don't think we can come to that conclusion.

Everyone faces difficult challenges. I used to be in excess of 320 lbs, I'm now 220, down 100 lbs in about 2 years. So, I'd like to think that I've walked a mile in the average overweight American's shoes.

I went on the site of wally world, costco and sam's club yesterday and I could cover my entire months eating, complete with meat, veggies, dairy and eggs, at about 1/4 the cost that I currently pay.

At the moment I'm working 60 hour weeks, studying full time on top of that for a Master's degree, while managing to get in 3 - 5 sessions of 1 hour weightlifting per week. This comes in addition to about 5 - 8 hours of sleep every night. I'm still able to cook a healthy dinner in accordance with a strict ultra-low carb diet every single night, in addition to preparing my food for breakfast and lunch.

I don't have more time than I absolutely need, but I make nutrition a priority over "vegging" out on the couch with a beer for hours on end.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Everyone faces difficult challenges. I used to be in excess of 320 lbs, I'm now 220, down 100 lbs in about 2 years. So, I'd like to think that I've walked a mile in the average overweight American's shoes.

I went on the site of wally world, costco and sam's club yesterday and I could cover my entire months eating, complete with meat, veggies, dairy and eggs, at about 1/4 the cost that I currently pay.

At the moment I'm working 60 hour weeks, studying full time on top of that for a Master's degree, while managing to get in 3 - 5 sessions of 1 hour weightlifting per week. This comes in addition to about 5 - 8 hours of sleep every night. I'm still able to cook a healthy dinner in accordance with a strict ultra-low carb diet every single night, in addition to preparing my food for breakfast and lunch.

I don't have more time than I absolutely need, but I make nutrition a priority over "vegging" out on the couch with a beer for hours on end.

Well done! You're an example to many in this thread. :)

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
TM wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Oatmeal with srambled eggs is less than a dollar in the US. This tastes nice, makes you feel full for a long time and has all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins in vegetables except for C vitamins.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm

Mike_Garrick wrote:

Did someone not in an earlier post also say your minimum wage was around 20 US dollars?
Compared to $8. That's 2.5 times as much.

There is no de jure minimum wage here. Likewise, if you're employed via an employment agency (most unskilled workers and some skilled ones are), there are no laws against instantly laying you off without warning for being gay, pregnant or muslim.

De facto, it's 13—14 dollars if you're not an immigrant. 20 US dollars is the de facto minimum for skilled workers.

Quote:
You do realize that after reading my post it is ironic you would say that.
My post proved, most Americans can't afford an apartment either unless they are living with 1-3 other people.

At 800 dollars, most can.

Kurgan wrote:
Where exactly is it that you think Americans are pulling a brand new car out of, their asses?

Cash for Clunkers. Some of the cars you scrapped would be worth 25,000 dollars here in Norway.
Quote:
Most people own second hand and almost all people working minimum wage grab anything they can get for as cheap as they can get.

Funny. People with crappy jobs in Switzerland, Denmark or Norway can't afford a road legal car in the first place, let alone the maintenance, gas or insurance.

Kurgan wrote:
Yes but again this is as low as gas gets here, and lets not forget the two and half times as much money you make.

I make 12,000 dollars a year until I finish my degree.

Quote:
The government here would love to charge $10 a gallon, but if they did no one would drive, not even them we would go on a gas strike.

They probably would. One winter, electricity prices trippled here, people still used electric products. Thankfully, they reached normal levels again.

Quote:
Yah, but tell that to a guy who just got done working an 8 hour shift and isn't looking forward to half an hour of cooking before he can eat dinner and veg out in the couch with a beer for the night.

I work up to twelve hours a day when I'm not at the university. If you eat at the lunch breaks, your cravings for unhealthy food will decrease after the end of the day.

Quote:
Again, don't blame me because a hamburger meal is 4 times as expensive there.
Honestly any more expensive and people would stop ordering anything but the "dollarish" menu.
It used to be the dollar menu now everything's like a 1.25-1.50 a couple things even hit $2, but they still call it the "dollar menu"

I haven't blamed you for any prices.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Why is everyone so judgmental here? I mean, obviously if somebody has a problem with obesity it is a more complex issue then "just being lazy". I know its a culture shock to those who live in or from countries where obesity is not so much a problem, and yeah, your right, it is a problem. But sometimes people focus on it for the wrong reasons, like other people being fat "bothers" them so those people should just stop being fat. This is a complex issue that you have to treat compassion. You have to also realize all the addictive substances the US allows corporations to put in their food that other countries do not, like "flavorings". I admire those who have lost weight despite their busy schedules. But until you've been on such a low end of poor and been overweight I don't think you can judge the poor, or maybe even have any right to judge their personal lifestyle choices because of the privilege you have as middle class. (I am guessing)

Its one thing to be overweight and American, that is a long process of avoiding addictive foods and choosing healthy foods.

Being poor and overweight leaves you at even more of a disadvantage in life. So you might want to be careful before you lecture people on how they ought to live.