Is anyone into any kind of martial art?

Page 1 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

Myself, I'm into Taekwondo. Currently working for my camoflage belt. That will take me off of the beginner belts and into the intermediate belts. It's also the beginning of free-sparring, or where we start to fight each other. Yay!

Did you know that karate is Japanese, Kung Fu is Chinese, and Taekwondo is Korean?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm

I'm interested in taking Krav Maga lessons; I've looked up places nearby my school where I could. I have nothing but evening classes, so I would have plenty of open time to schedule it in.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

I used to do Karate and Aikido. I wouldn't mind going back into Aikido but I am thinking I might try Tai Chi Quan as I didn't like the pressure vs pressure of Karate. I want a more peaceful solution that can still be as effective.

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

I did taekwondo during my teens and 2 years ago tried brazilian jiu jitsu when a school opened up 500m from my house. I was the only student and this huge guy pretty much used me as a training bag and wouldn't listen to me explaining that when I say I'm tired and had enough, I am and don't need to be pushed any further. He was super trained, and I was pretty much drop dead tired halfway through this "warming up", and then had to do 45 minutes of his sweaty feet and balls in my face. I am seriously traumatized for life.

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2012, 6:02 am

I'm a first dan black belt in karate. I've also been competing at state and national level for 5 years now.

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

I love to read about Krav Maga and would love to take lessons. Unfortunately, I'm extremely unathletic and tend to get joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis so that's probably not happening. -.-

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 4:54 pm

That song "Everybody is Kung Fu Fighting" takes on a whole new ring, doesn't it? :)

TM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

I've done some Tae Kwon do but quit fairly soon because I found it to be highly impractical for self-defense. I've later had about 2.5 years of Krav Maga training. I'm currently thinking about taking up boxing.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:26 am

I train off and on at a mixed martial arts gym and do jiu jitsu which is of course strange for an aspie.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 4:38 am

Martial Arts is actually my first and foremost special interest. I practice Karate (Kyokushin, Brown Belt), FMA, BJJ (purple), Judo (Brown) and I have an instructor level in Wing Chun Kuen (Ip Man lineage).

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

yes I am doing bjj(jui jutsu)

Wanderingronin42

26 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

I have studied Shotokan and Tang Soo Do Karate, which I will be obtaining a black belt. I tend to take my training more serious than other since I discovered the more spiritual side of the martial arts.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

Shodan in aikido, here, and I took a little bit of karate as a kid.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

Wanderingronin42 wrote:
I have studied Shotokan and Tang Soo Do Karate, which I will be obtaining a black belt. I tend to take my training more serious than other since I discovered the more spiritual side of the martial arts.

Spiritural role?

Wanderingronin42

28 Sep 2012, 10:19 pm

Yes, when alot of the martial arts were imported to the West. Alot of the spiritual and philosophical parts of it where left out. I have been praticing Zen meditation for over a year. Things I used worry me don't and I am able to train better. Its gotten to a point, where I don't think of myself having AS anymore, believe it or not.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:14 am

Thai boxing but only because of the simplicity in the forms. What is the point of learning 100 forms of wushu if most of the those forms are ineffective against thai boxing or Brazilian jiu jitsu?

As Bruce Lee said "I do not fear the man who practices a thousand kicks but the man who practices one kick a thousand times"