Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Blixten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2012, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I don't feel it. I eat once a day, when my stomach growls. In the afternoon/late afternoon. (Not sure if that growls is the right word but you know what I mean). I used to be on a lot of meds inkluding antidepressants during my teenage years and it gave me a big apatite so I eat a few times a day back then even if i really never felt hungry, but didn't think about not feeling hunger because I would crave food several times a day. I did not reflect on not feeling hunger at all, I just thought other people really liked food and craved it alot, and that's why they ate even if they were busy. But now without the drug induced apatite, its hard to eat more than once a day.

Is it normal to not feel hunger? What does hunger feel like? My autism is "mild" but these things just seem so strange to other people. I have a really hard time making myself eat if my stomach isn't growling. It just feels weird, wrong. Growling stomach means I need food - so I eat, because otherwise I will become very weak and shaky. If my mouth and throat are dry it means I need fluids - so I drink. These are my signals, you know. Otherwise I feel like I don't need food or water. But it seems strange to people.

(This an autism thing right?)

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

When i was very young (i think 4-5 years old) my mother saw my eating habit is strange and wanted to 'test' me. So she didn't gave me to eat for three days.
And i didn't ask to eat at all. Now i can stay up to 3 days without eating and sometimes i just forgot to eat. Very rare i eat in the morning.
Guess it's unhealthy.

Don't know if it's autism related. But eating disorders might be. I have that too (selective eating)

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

I have the exact same problem, and I do think that it is connected to autism. Since I have started leading a more active lifestile, my energy requirement has almost doubled, and it actually had a benefitial effect on my eating habits. Whenever I get really tired for some reason, and I don't know why, I think: Oh, it has been a while since your last meal. Go eat something. The thing is, whenever I do something I have really lost myself in, I forget all other feelings. I actually think that this is a merit that will, in later life, attract potential employers to my qualities as an employee: Give me a task, set me behind a desk with all the stuff I need, and I go for hours and miles without stopping... I have made sessions in the college library lasting 8 to 12 hours without taking longer breaks than 5 minutes for a quick eat or toilet. I am getting off track, but the idea is: Us with AS, we either get lost in our special interests, or we are overwhelmed by our surroundings, and our senses are always in a state of slight sensory overload, so we phase out and cannot perceive ourselves and our own bodies. I think it's the same reason why Aspies tend to be clumsy and bump into things and other people.

Blixten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

I have heard it is autism related... Like yet another sensorything almost? It kind of makes sense. I have also read about it, some sources say that it's not even that unusual.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

Yes, I believe this falls under our sensory processing issues. I do tend to eat too much, and am over weight, but there are times when I do go way too long between meals because I get too focused on what ever I am doing. It also causes occasional toilet accidents, as I prefer to wait until I come to a good place to take a break in whatever I am doing, but my body can't always hold out that long, and I also tend to misread the bio-signal's level of need to use the bathroom. :roll: So, I have trouble processing not only input from other people, but input from my own body. :roll:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

I wish I didn't feel hunger now. I'd be able to reduced my waistline in no time.

nrgandy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2012, 4:16 pm

wish i was in your shoes i eat six meals a day! (i have to for my hobbie though)
have you tryed eating more meals a day to get your metabolism fireing?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

I have a pretty huge appetite. I average out 3000 calories a day or so. I can eat like, a large pizza in one sitting no sweat, and then go work out an hour or so later. Unrestrained, I'd probably eat like 5000 calories a day or so. If I eat like a "normal person" I lose weight easily.

Blixten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

nrgandy wrote:
wish i was in your shoes i eat six meals a day! (i have to for my hobbie though)
have you tryed eating more meals a day to get your metabolism fireing?

Can't eat more often, I only eat when I get the only signal my body gives me about needing to eat - a growling empty stomach. It feels weird and unnecessary to eat when it doesn't. Why would I need to get my metabolism up, what does that do? My metabolism is not at all causing me problems. As far as I know...

Not sure if I am reading all your answers right :? , but I do not need to loose weight at all...

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 5:22 pm

i usually only eat due to routine or as a stim.
if i wake up too late for breakfast; i just skip it and forget about it, just the same when something i'm doing keeps going untill after regular lunch/dinnertime.
i used to eat loads of chips/candy though, becouse i like the feeling of chewing, but i swapped to chewing gun becouse i was getting too heavy.
for the rest, i do drink loads of water whenever my stomach growls, it stops the growling and means i dont have to go to the kitchen on an irregular time