Anyone have any experience with circus/acrobatic arts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm

I just found a local school that teaches thing like trapeze, cyr wheel, German wheel and tight roping!

I really want to take classes as a super fun way to improve my level of physical activity.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this and if they'd know what to expect?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

No, but sounds interesting.

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
No, but sounds interesting.

It's apparently down in Georgetown, south of Seattle. :o

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

EchoNOLA wrote:
I just found a local school that teaches thing like trapeze, cyr wheel, German wheel and tight roping!

I really want to take classes as a super fun way to improve my level of physical activity.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this and if they'd know what to expect?

:lol: I'd expect a broken neck if I tried anything like that. I can't walk down the hall without bumping into something.

Aleithei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm

Quote:

I have! German wheel is awesome, tight roping is hard, and a little boring (our tightrope was only about 2 feet tall though). cyr wheel is hard to learn, but a lot of fun, and we only did static trapeze, but it was pretty cool.

keep in mind a lot of these things are easier if you have better balance than i do. I am in competitive trampoline and tumbling but always manage to trip over my feet walking, so tightrope was a little frustrating (and cyr, which requires just the right balance to work).

macleayaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

I sometimes do a bit of juggling when I'm bored or for exercise. Plastic shopping bags are good for learning to juggle with.

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

Aleithei wrote:
Quote:

I have! German wheel is awesome, tight roping is hard, and a little boring (our tightrope was only about 2 feet tall though). cyr wheel is hard to learn, but a lot of fun, and we only did static trapeze, but it was pretty cool.

keep in mind a lot of these things are easier if you have better balance than i do. I am in competitive trampoline and tumbling but always manage to trip over my feet walking, so tightrope was a little frustrating (and cyr, which requires just the right balance to work).

My balance isn't the greatest, lol. So, this'll be interesting! :P

Glad to know I'm not the only one though

NineSpiral09
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2014, 4:30 am

Well..I never had any experience with learning from professional/trained instructors, but I used to be quite enthusiastic about hula hooping (via my love for Cirque du Soleil). One of the shows had a hula hoop act so I spent almost every night and several months trying attempt some of the tricks myself. At some point, I figured out how to spin a hoop around a raised foot.

My only input is to try something that sounds the most interesting. (Personally I think all of them are interesting and I'm envious that you're able to find a school that is close enough to commute to.)

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 1:57 am

Learning the German wheel might be fun. I once played with one and it a lot of fun to just roll around in. Tight roping can be very hard although using the balancing pole does make it a lot easier but I don't think they use a pole in the circus.