Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 2:35 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Got complimented on my butterfly today. :)

you must be buff and hellafit :thumleft:

Thanks. :) I wouldn't say I'm buff exactly. I have decent muscles but with way too much fat on top of them.
I'm reasonably fit.

do you know your body fat%?

I_m_Tim
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2014, 4:35 am

Yes, mainly for triathlon. its a different story in the sea though, whats more my site-ting is terrible.

I_m_Tim
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2014, 4:37 am

Yes, mainly for triathlon. its a different story in the sea though, whats more my site-ting is terrible.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 6:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Thanks. :) I wouldn't say I'm buff exactly. I have decent muscles but with way too much fat on top of them.
I'm reasonably fit.

Honestly, right now I have no idea. I only ever went on a bodyfat scale once and that had me at around 40%, but that was before I started swimming and before I cut out a lot of sugar and starchy foods, so I'd imagine it would be lower now.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 6:12 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I'm reasonably fit.

Honestly, right now I have no idea. I only ever went on a bodyfat scale once and that had me at around 40%, but that was before I started swimming and before I cut out a lot of sugar and starchy foods, so I'd imagine it would be lower now.

that is progress :thumleft:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 9:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I'm reasonably fit.

that is progress :thumleft:

Thanks. :) There's a bodyfat scale at the place where I work that I'm thinking of getting, but I won't be weighing myself or measuring bodyfat for about 2 1/2 weeks yet. I'll let you know what the results are then.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 9:50 pm

electronic body fat scales are generally less accurate, something to be aware of. the old standbys of caliper pinch tests [cheaper and most widely available] and hydrostatic measurement [expensive and hard to find] are more accurate. the average adequately fit man of the average age is going to have body fat % somewhere around 15% +/- 5%.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 10:00 pm

auntblabby wrote:
electronic body fat scales are generally less accurate, something to be aware of. the old standbys of caliper pinch tests [cheaper and most widely available] and hydrostatic measurement [expensive and hard to find] are more accurate.

So I've heard. Calipers are also on my list of "things to maybe get".
I've been slowly but steadily losing weight, but it seems to be very stubbornly clinging to a few areas (my upper arms and lower stomach in particular. All of the pants I have are either loose on my legs or tight on my stomach. :( )
I'm female, so my normal body fat % would be higher, correct?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 10:13 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
electronic body fat scales are generally less accurate, something to be aware of. the old standbys of caliper pinch tests [cheaper and most widely available] and hydrostatic measurement [expensive and hard to find] are more accurate.

So I've heard. Calipers are also on my list of "things to maybe get".
I've been slowly but steadily losing weight, but it seems to be very stubbornly clinging to a few areas (my upper arms and lower stomach in particular. All of the pants I have are either loose on my legs or tight on my stomach. :( )
I'm female, so my normal body fat % would be higher, correct?

(body fat % charts for women and men
and clothing doesn't fit particularly well on me, either. :oops: good for you :wtg: for your fitness quest :)

Cazz333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2014, 5:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
Except for holding your breath, swimming underwater is a lot easier then it looks. Unlike swimming on the surface in which you can spend about 2/3 to 3/4 of your energy just to keep yourself above water. Once your underwater, you hit what is called neutral buoyancy (it's like zero-G). At that point, it's just a matter of thrusting yourself through the water. You do have to be careful about how fast you move because you can find yourself spending twice as much energy to get about a 15% increase in speed.

my problem is that I have very little reserve O2 capacity, IOW I just can't hold my breath for more than a few seconds at best.

Slow, graceful strokes work better. Diving too deep and swimming too fast forces to breathe air sooner.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 5:45 pm

I can't do graceful but I can do slow alright :mrgreen:

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 12:48 am

You're a hoot, Auntblabby.
We are getting pool chemicals tomorrow, so I should get to go swimming pretty soon. I can't do laps in my small pool, but it will be so nice. I dreamed of an Olympic size pool the other nite, it was great.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 12:51 am

my one and only experience with an Olympic sized pool made me feel like I was swimming out in the ocean or a large lake, and I almost feared that I would drown. I am most comfortable in 25 meter pools.