Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Phenom
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2014, 5:20 am

Hi WP, I was just wondering if there were anyone else who also practices martial arts on the forum and if so what style.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2014, 6:03 am

I practise judo, but not competition style. I used to be a competition judo fighter but I had to give it up to study for my GCSEs.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

Phenom wrote:
Hi WP, I was just wondering if there were anyone else who also practices martial arts on the forum and if so what style.

Taekwondo ... at least when I was a kid. Now that I have physical disabilities as well as my AS, practicing TKD isn't top on my list. Hehe. But, I have thought about a slowed-down version of some forms (resembling Tai Chi) might be beneficial and a lot less painful than my physical therapy.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2014, 4:38 am

Hey Phenom, I am into martial arts.

I am interested in martial arts, and had some training in Shotokan Karate, Judo, and Tai chi. I did not get very advanced though, not out of disinterest but because I did not have enough money to continue on.

Phenom
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2014, 4:53 am

Hi guys!

Awesome to hear about other martial artists. I'm sure you all have found out by now, but martial arts can really be a GREAT form of releasing all that pent up mental and physical 'energy' that us with AS tend to have, as well as a way to learn about our own bodies. I highly recommend it; it has completely changed my life on all levels. Its not always about trying to "do someone in".

Do you guys have a favorite exercise or activity that you like to do for supplementary training purposes?

icedz234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm

I do gracie jiu jitsu :3 it has changed my life!! it makes me work 110% better with music

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2014, 6:45 am

Phenom wrote:
Hi guys!

Awesome to hear about other martial artists. I'm sure you all have found out by now, but martial arts can really be a GREAT form of releasing all that pent up mental and physical 'energy' that us with AS tend to have, as well as a way to learn about our own bodies. I highly recommend it; it has completely changed my life on all levels. Its not always about trying to "do someone in".

Do you guys have a favorite exercise or activity that you like to do for supplementary training purposes?

Yes. On a good day, to build up my strength, I will do some press-ups, sit-ups (100 each) and crunches (30 or 40) to strengthen my muscles (I'm not very strong compared to most of the judokas in my class but still strong) and stretches to increase my flexibility so that I can perform throws and hold downs better etc. I need to be strong so that if I am being pinned down by a stronger opponent I can break free from their grip more easily etc.

TheNinjaSquid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

I used to box and MMA a bit, maybe I start again. HEMA also sounds cool but there ain't aby decent groups were I life.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 3:15 pm

I took karate at a YMCA back in elementary for about a year.
and Aikido for 3 years. up until about 5 years ago there was an Aikido dojo about 2 doors down from my house and i went there all the time to observe.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Riikka
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

I really like martial arts! I?ve done a few years of judo, karate (Shotokan) and tai chi each, but haven?t been training at all for a few years now. At the moment I just go to dance and other classes at the gym to keep fit, but would love to get back to doing karate if I had the chance. :)

SocietyMadeMeDoIt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2014, 5:12 am

Love martial arts... it makes me relief the excess of hate and keep the reflex on sigh

I have learned Muay thai, Box and a little of Silate in the past, don't do it in the gym anymore, but I keep doing the exercises at home. I like it do at home because when I was at the gym I use to get personal on the fights and being explosive which created some problems.

I'm looking forward in learning Tai chi, but haven't found a place so far.. and either not enough material online to learn myself with success. If you guys know any good books / vids, please share!

WellThatsDantastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm

Next week I'm doing a taekwondo course for people with ASD. I'm really looking forward to it, because I always wanted to do martial arts! Once I have completed it, I'll probably join karate, a new taekwondo group, or start another sport like kickboxing. :)

I'm so excited.

hzl
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2014, 7:08 pm

*fist bump for martial artists* I do taekwondo. ITF. My instructor is a hardass. I've started taking MMA classes at the same school just because my work schedule is s**t.