Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:01 am

Whether or not an aspie would have the right wiring in the brain to be able to reach lofty heights in sports I don't know... but one I've been very interested in and curious about is a football (soccer) player by the name of Juninho Pernambucano. Called mr 50% in his best days, because of his extraordinary freekick ability... he practised them every single spare moment to become what many fans with knowledge consider to be the best freekick taker in soccer.

The man is easily distinguishable - he looks odd in the face... a strange fairly unemotional expression... he's media shy, incredibly loyal, and doesn't ever boast about his soccer ability, which is very good. For many, he's an unsung hero.

Yes his ability all-round is good - good dribbler, good long range shooter, quality passer... the lot really... and a good tactician.

He remained loyal to French champions Lyon throughout his entire European campaign, whereas it would've given him much more attention through the media if he jumped ship to AC Milan or someone like that...
He's going to retire very soon... I hope not at the end of this season because it would be a poor way to see such a great player go, as this has been Lyon's worst season for a while thus far...

He seems more articulate in his speech than the average player... he talks much more about how he cares for people from his home town - Pernambuco... and he used that to create his own name Pernambucano... this seems quite aspie too.

Anyone agree? And also - any other sports players you think could be autie/aspie?

I'll show you videos perhaps where he's been interviewed and him on the pitch and things... maybe later... mind - if he is an aspie he's one of the more extrovert types, but then he must be a very happy guy to be fair... happily married, knows he's a great player and all that.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 3:00 pm

I know David Beckham has OCD but that about it.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2007, 11:32 am

There is an American football coach that I'm convinced has at least mild AS. His name is Mike Leach and he's the head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Here's an article about him from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magaz ... wU8ESozzZA

Quote:
Finally, a coach: Mike Leach, 44, entered the locker room with the quizzical air of a man who has successfully bushwhacked his way through a jungle but isn't quite sure what country he has emerged into. "When you first meet him," Jarrett Hicks, a junior wide receiver, told me, "you think he's an equipment manager." Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan of I.M.G., who represents dozens of other big-time college and N.F.L. coaches, put it this way, "He's so different from every other football coach it's hard to understand how he's a coach."