Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:49 am

BubbaHoTep wrote:
gascmark wrote:
Hey, I'm a Husker fan, and we were robbed by Texas.

It was a good call. When a pass is thrown out of bounds, the rule is the clock stops when the ball hits something. Watch the replay and you'll see there was one second left when the ball hit the railing. Suh's pass rush was a little too good that time ;)

I really like Georgia Tech's old-school option offense. Lots of fun to watch. Seems like every other school runs either a pro style offense or some version of the spread.

But a pro style offense will prepare one QB better for the rigors of pro football, I think. Nevertheless, the offense system that wins wins.

And BubbaHoTep, your location states that your view is really skewed towards the winner of the South Division of Big 12 Conference. Although your statement has valid points, I would need a view from a neutral fan to make a fair assessment of whether the call was right. No matter what, I still believe that Alabama/the Fiesta Bowl winner should win the national championship, just because they are undefeated. (Texas had virtually no opposition except Alabama, in my own opinion; while Alabama has LSU and Florida, Boise State won Oregon which thumped down USC and Oregon State, and TCU won Utah and BYU) Remmeber 1984... and 1997. :P

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 9:08 am

ruennsheng wrote:
It would be better if the Army won too. Like the Wolverines, a Black Knights win would have secured its bowl place. Sigh.

Actually both teams are in a bowl game. Also NAVY RULES!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 9:10 am

FCS and BCS are complex system to understand. FCS is less because it is more like playoffs instead of bowl games.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2009, 3:03 am

ruennsheng wrote:
But a pro style offense will prepare one QB better for the rigors of pro football, I think. Nevertheless, the offense system that wins wins.

And BubbaHoTep, your location states that your view is really skewed towards the winner of the South Division of Big 12 Conference. Although your statement has valid points, I would need a view from a neutral fan to make a fair assessment of whether the call was right. No matter what, I still believe that Alabama/the Fiesta Bowl winner should win the national championship, just because they are undefeated. (Texas had virtually no opposition except Alabama, in my own opinion; while Alabama has LSU and Florida, Boise State won Oregon which thumped down USC and Oregon State, and TCU won Utah and BYU) Remmeber 1984... and 1997. :P

I will agree that Texas' non-conference schedule was garbage. But we're in the Rose Bowl, and the winner gets the silver football ;) There could possibly be a split championship this year if the Rose Bowl is close and the Fiesta is a blowout. In that case, the Fiesta Bowl winner could get the AP championship. Personally I would be ok with this outcome because I'm not a big fan of the BCS system and would prefer a playoff instead.

I assume you mean the '84 Cotton Bowl. That was 25 years ago and we've won a MNC since then, so I'm over it. It's the '91 Cotton Bowl still irritates me to this day. As for "rout 66", that game turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the coach was fired and replaced by Mack Brown, and we've been good ever since.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:02 am

Hehehe. I am sly, but fortunately, I am not a Husker or an Aggie or maybe a Horned Frog. I am a Wolverine support the University of Michigan. U of M rules!! !

Besides Longhorns' misfortunes (which would improve possibly with its possible split national championship with the Fiesta Bowl winner)... these seasons are also remembered for a mid-major winning the national championship in 1984 (who doesn't love underdogs?) and for 1997, my beloved Wolverines' last championship.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:12 am

JerryHatake wrote:
FCS and BCS are complex system to understand. FCS is less because it is more like playoffs instead of bowl games.

I am happy with the current BCS system --- the best of all conferences will have a chance to play noted postseason games. I am ok with reforms, but the current system is working.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2009, 10:33 pm

have to disagree. The BCS system is a terrible idea and is really hurting the sport. It is totally biased in favor of the 'Big Six' conferences. For non-big six teams teams it is very difficult to make the BCS. They have to go undefeated and have 'quality' wins against big six opponents to have a shot. And it is nearly impossible for them to have a shot an an MNC. Also, the BCS system discourages big six teams from scheduling quality non-conference opponents (see Texas' schedule this year). Who wants to see the Texas', Floridas, and USCs of the world beating up overmatched patsy opponents by 40 points? The sport would be much better off with a 16-team playoff.

By the way, I have a lot of respect for Michigan. I went to the 2005 Rose Bowl and all the Michigan fans I met were very friendly, even after the game. It was a great experience. Hopefully RichRod can turn things around for y'all. Beat Ohio State!

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2009, 8:05 am

JerryHatake wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:
It would be better if the Army won too. Like the Wolverines, a Black Knights win would have secured its bowl place. Sigh.

Actually both teams are in a bowl game. Also NAVY RULES!

Navy's success the past few years is really impressive, especially considering the service academies are at a big recruiting disadvantage compared to other schools. Their high academic standards limit their pool of available players and they have height/weight limits which prevent them from recruiting 300lb offensive/defensive linemen.

Army had Bobby Ross as head coach a few years ago (ex-NFL head coach with superbowl experience) and still couldn't win. I think the key to Navy's success is Paul Johnson's option offense. It is a very old style, but it is perfect for the type of players Navy can recruit. It requires small quick offensive linemen instead of the big 300lb pass-blockers that more modern offenses require. Hopefully the new coach can keep it going.